Should Marijuana, Chronic, Weed, Pot, Mary Jane, Kush, Cannabis, etc be legal?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (43 posts)
  1. MichaelJohnMele profile image60
    MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years ago

Should Marijuana, Chronic, Weed, Pot, Mary Jane, Kush, Cannabis, etc be legal?

I was just wondering if it is all it's cracked up to be? I've never tried it...yes I know I'm a wussy, but I've had severe asthma my whole life and can't even smell a cigarette without having an attack. Am I missing something special, or is it overrated?

Honestly from what I do know about it, and about the people who smoke it, it's no way near as bad as alcohol is...besides all the food being eaten I've never seen anything compared to the drama I've seen when alcohol is involved. Relax, I'm not for the prohibition of alcohol, I just don't understand why one is legal and the other is not.

2. xanzacow profile image60
    xanzacowposted 11 years ago

I just figure they haven't found the time to figure out how to tax it yet....

MichaelJohnMeleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

...you may be right.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I personally would not use it. But, It has been proven to be a safe herb grown from the earth. One thing they could tax the heck out of it as a sin tax. Such as alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Black market underground gangsters would take a huge hit, If not put out of business. There would be so much less killing in Mexico over this.

Do you think it's out of fear of these "underground gangsters" that they don't legalize it?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The masses still have this idea it will make you a crazy stoned person. In fact, Smokers just relax. Plus the tax revenue would be phenomenal.

3. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

Then by all means give everyone a joint...maybe it would make this world a better place to live.

4. profile image0

Just think about the money that the Govt. could save. Let alone the boost to the economy. Smokers would be happy to pay the taxes on it.

5. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

I totally agree and I'm all for it. There must be some sort of shady reason our government hasn't done this already...something they're not telling us.

6. profile image0

Too many full pockets in the Govt. from it being illegal.

7. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

Wouldn't there be more money for all those greedy bastards if it were to be legal?

8. profile image0

No. It would be available in legal taxes away from the greedy hands of corruption.  smile

9. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

Oh...now I see what you're saying.

10. profile image49
      dillholeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Black market underground gangsters are almost ALWAYS, at the very top, filthy rich white American protestants. The Mexicans used to occupy a respectable middle ground, but their product sucked.

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I think it should be legal because it has been found to help so many types of people. Those who have bulimia, are anorexic, as a pain medication, for those with ADD and ADHD, etc. It does so much for so many people and doesn't harm anyone unlike alcohol and tobacco. It should be legal.

I don't even smoke it and I'm all for it being legalized...honestly alcohol should be illegal...that's stuff is dangerous.

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't smoke it but I do drink. However, I agree with you. Alcohol should be more contained, but not illegal. Just drink at home and not in public places because they then have to drive somewhere.

Honestly it's not the weed or alcohol that's the problem...it's the dumb ass people that's the real problem...ban them.

4. profile image0

Totally agree Michael!!!!!!!!!

5. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol. After watching my roommate waste away from alcohol, I agree.

6. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

Who do we have to talk to, to get our proposed ban on stupid people started?

5. naeemebrahimjee profile image65
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 11 years ago

I am not a drug user; or have ever tried Cannabis.

But here is my opinion:

Yes Legalize it. Why? Because nowadays people are purchasing it daily for an inflated price where dealers/thugs get all the money. There is no form of quality control and those people who do use drugs regularly face the risk of using something that has been cut / mixed with something deadly.

If it was legalized the government will control the market price.
    They will be able to ensure the quality of the goods.
    It will reduce the number of users who use it just "because it is illegal and a thrill"

I do not condone the use of drugs, but i would rather those regular / addicted users would use something safe / affordable that will not lead the users to more crime or into hospital.

Legalizing could help the economy/country with it being taxed and it could also free up a lot of room in our already over crowded prison systems.

6. Steve Orion profile image60
    Steve Orionposted 11 years ago

As a smoker, and logical, critically thinking human being, I think it should be legalized. I smoke as often as I can and I really am annoyed about paying what I do for a plant that should be significantly cheaper. I don't like risking my college life and breaking the law in order to partake in a harmless activity, but I am careful and understand the risks.

Do you think after the goverment gets done taxing it, it would be any cheaper than it is now?

2. Steve Orion profile image60
      Steve Orionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First, I'd rather the cash go to the gov than drug lords. Second, I doubt the cost would plummet to dirt-cheap prices, but they would have to be lower than the artificially high level at which they're priced now.

Aren't they both "bad guys"...just kidding. You do make a good point.

4. Team Wiseman profile image80
      Team Wisemanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It certainly would not be cheaper... but I bet it would be better! Just saying, (kicks a pebble across the ground with my hands in my pocket)

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I'll try to give a fair answer and anyone can decide.

Pro-legalization: This would save the government(s) literally billions of dollars in law enforcement costs at all levels. It would reduce murders and crime in poor neighborhoods, reduce the prison population substantially, destroy the cartels, and would essentially end organized crime and border wars with Mexico. The taxation and regulation of its use and sale would increase government revenue. Ailing patients could use it. Hemp products could be made in quantity. Controlling what people do to their bodies is not in our government's interest.

Anti-Legalization: Parts of society would probably degenerate somewhat as some people would abuse it the same way they abuse alcohol. The awful smell would be everywhere I'm sure.

1. Steve Orion profile image60
      Steve Orionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not entirely sure your "Anti" paragraph is all too valid. Society would degenerate? I think society, as a whole, would benefit. But surely there are people who'd misuse it or simply add it to their already unproductive lives. And awful smell?lol!

2. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

I totally agree with everything you said in your "pro" statement, very well said. However, what you said in your "anti" statemtment I personally don't think would hold true...at least not to the extent you believe.

3. xanzacow profile image60
      xanzacowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please explain how society would degenerate. Actually it would probably be a more productive and positive society with less road rage, fewer murders and an overall more peaceful atmosphere. As for the smell, it smells better than alcohol breath! Lol.

4. MichaelJohnMele profile image60

@Xanzacom I never smoked the stuff so I can't really comment on the benefits it would have on us as a society...but I mus say I do agree that it does smell better than alcohol breath...that stuff is grodie.

5. profile image49

I agree with a lot of what you say, but it would NOT "end organized crime and border wars with Mexico." We'd need to legalize everything and have open borders to even BEGIN that process.

8. securityproducts3 profile image41
    securityproducts3posted 11 years ago

Yes, I believe they should legalize it. Simply because I think it is probably safer if it was Government regulated, and because it's seriously so harmless compared to alcohol. I've tried it a couple of times and personally didn't like it. I just got real lazy and tired. My emotional state was hardly compromised, however, compared to alcohol.

Hmmm real lazy and tired you say...maybe we should give it to the athletes competing against us in the olympics. In all seriousness, I agree with you, it would be a lot safer.

9. Glenda Franklin profile image61
    Glenda Franklinposted 11 years ago

One of the biggest problems I read is that most of the comments are grouping the illegal marijuana smoker together with the legal patients who seek medical marijuana for relief from their symptoms. I also see that the words thug and dealer are being used in place of the word provider who works at a legal dispensary. This concerns me very much. There are two separate issues here and the two should not meet. Even if marijuana is legalized for medical reasons I don’t believe it will affect the weed drug dealers very much.  I feel legalizing for the purpose to rid ourselves of thugs and dealers will have little effect.

So you think people are blurring the lines, not taking into consideration the differences between the two?

10. profile image54
    shadowsparkposted 11 years ago

There's no reason for it to be ILlegal - it poses no threat to society by being legal; if anything, it contributes to society. People should have the freedom to make their own decisions in trivial matters like these, regardless of whether or not it's "bad for you." Harder drugs are a whole different issue - but weed? Really? It has credible uses as a RECREATIONAL drug, not to mention medicinal... Its illegal status is absolutely absurd.

Do you think if it was legal that we would have more people abusing it...like alcohol...and if so, would that be a good or bad thing as far as society is concerned?

11. passionatelearnr profile image86
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

Addictive drugs should not be made legal,this way it will be easier for teenagers to get their hands on drugs.

1. profile image49

It's not a physically addictive drug.

12. profile image49
    dillholeposted 6 years ago

It's fine.

I've been smoking it for over 25 years and it's done nothing but help me with my mental health issues.
    Over the years its intensity has lessened. These days, I hardly use it at all anymore...maybe once or twice a month.
    The fact that it's a class A substance - outranking cocaine, meth and heroin - has always outraged and confused me. I figure that it has to do with racial bias and being able to put black kids in federal prison until they are Officially adults hardened into the system for selling dime bags when they were 13 that keeps it on schedule one. At least in my hometown they've made simple possession of a small amount tantamount to a simple fine - no jail time. Of course, there are very few blacks or Latinos here...
    We SHOULD be legalizing it and taxing it, and using the tax money to do good things.
    Like I said, 25 years...and like most longtime  users, my use keeps going down. And the better it gets, the less I need.
    I have never thought "I would do ANYTHING for a hit of weed." I HAVE thought it about klonopin. I know people of both genders who have committed acts of prostitution for what I (but not the federal government) consider harder drugs. Or done worse things. Robbed people. Shot people. More. For one hit of heroin or crack or meth.
    Almost every person I know has tried pot at one time or another and most have not become potheads. And even a pothead is not an addict. I was a pothead, and I was an alcoholic. I got so inured to being high (and got affected less and less by pot) that driving after taking a couple of hits of pot was absolutely no big deal. Cheech and Chong scenarios are strictly for beginners. Conversely, I used to get blind drunk in the tops of the Rockies and drive like a bat out of a bar (sometimes after losing my glasses in my car) and I consider each time I made it anywhere safely a miracle. And I always fornicated with strange men in that state. I'll take the munchies and a cartoon binge any day over that crap.
    I've been thinking since I was fifteen that at any time the powers that be (technically us) would wake up and legalize this nonthreatening substance. How about this year?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)