As a Christian, would you vote for a presidential candidate based on his Religio

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. kellyteam profile image60
    kellyteamposted 11 years ago

As a Christian, would you vote for a presidential candidate based on his Religion?

I have heard christians choosing not to vote in the presidential election because Romney is Mormon and Obama supports same sex marriage, and abortions which are contrary to the Word of God and Christian values. Just curious to see if this is a decision throughout the Christian community. Not asking who you are voting for, just your opinion on this and if you agree with it,

2. movielardatadare profile image57
    movielardatadareposted 11 years ago

This is easy for me to answer.  I am a Christian.  I don't vote for candidates period.  I've never voted a single day in my life for any candidates.  As far as I'm concerned, they're all in the same boat, controlled by the same power interests.  As a Christian, I choose not to vote in any election because I just see it as a waste of my time.  I'd rather be answering this excellent question on hubpages as opposed to paying attention to what either of those two dudes are doing (or promising what they'll do, and then not following up on it).

1. My Esoteric profile image85
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it fair to say we shouldn't take your complaints about policies either Party institute seriously since you chose not to vote and be one of those John Adams worried about when he said Republicanism survives so long as the populus remains virtuous?

2. movielardatadare profile image57
      movielardatadareposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess that's how some might view it.  However, since I pay taxes (which I don't really feel like paying), I'll continue complaining about policies and saying whatever I want.  Very interesting perspective, My Esoteric!

3. kellyteam profile image60
      kellyteamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This definitely prompts another question for me. But, I don't think not voting is the answer.  Of course you're entitled to your opinion but voting on the issues may be a better option. Watch for the next question inspired by you.

3. profile image0
    joshuainfantadoposted 11 years ago

The truth is Christians should not involved in any politics here on earth. simple. The Bible says that we are heavenly citizens and we should not do anything that has to do with this World's politics. If the candidate that we vote begins to be corrupt then we only got ourselves to blame. So the best thing to do is not to vote. Humans are not fit to rule over other humans anyway.

1. X-Con profile image67
      X-Conposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree, brother. I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says we should not get involved in politics. As a matter of fact, I think it would be good if more "honest" Christians were politicians. Then we could influence our society for good more

2. profile image0
      joshuainfantadoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I respect your opinion, brother.smile yes, I also saw that Christian politician can be a good candidate but that is also proven wrong. Just like here in our country, considered as a religious country, we have seen good christians corrupted by power.

3. kellyteam profile image60

Can't say that I agree with you on this. I think its important that we use our votes to make a difference while we are here. Could you give scripture to support your position? I would like to read it for myself. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

4. profile image0

here are the scriptures.

John 17:16: "They are no part of the world, just as I [Jesus] am no part of the world."
      John 6:15: "Jesus, knowing they [the Jews] were about to come and seize him to make him king, withdrew again into the mountain all alone

5. kellyteam profile image60

Hi J. in view of your position on voting can you tell me how the following scriptures fit into your belief. I peter 2:13-15 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: ... thanks for the verses but I don't see the connection.

6. profile image0

James 4:4

The god of this world is Satan (II cor. 4:4). So whoever we choose as leaders they will always fall short. Man are not fit to rule over other man.

7. Briandbsa profile image57
      Briandbsaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with x-con, plus we are commanded to pray for our leaders...whether we voted him into office or not!

4. X-Con profile image67
    X-Conposted 11 years ago

I personally never voted because I've seen so many politicians lie. They're a bunch of liars, as far as I'm concerned. However, if there was a Christian politician which I felt was honest. I would consider voting for him.

1. movielardatadare profile image57

I understand what you're saying.  My understanding is that in order to be a great politician, you have to be an even greater liar.

2. kellyteam profile image60

I feel you, however I have come to the conclusion that sometimes, only sometimes I think candidates say things they intend to do only to find out when elected they can't. Dosen't work the way they thought.  my opinion sometimes. Did I say sometimes.

5. Don Crowson profile image60
    Don Crowsonposted 11 years ago

I am a Christian and I vote in every election.  Why shouldn't I?  Should I say to myself that both candidates are evil and I really don't care which evil is elected? I always make the choice of the lesser of the two evils.

Should Christians dig little holes and bury themselves or make themselves heard? It is ridiculous that a citicizen or a Christian not vote because the future is at risk. The future of the country will hang in the balace, and it is important for everyone to speak up.

Hey, I recall that some said they wound not vote for a Catholic when JFK ran. Why is Christianity a reason to run hide?

See I didn't know that. I agree with you. Christians should vote. The issues are what is important. Thanks for your response.

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Okay answer this one please? What happens if you vote for the one who is the anit christ? And you are helping to seal your fate and the rest of us?
      How would you feel then?  I consider myself a follower of Yeshua, Jesus Christ the only one I trust

6. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

I am not a Christian so I can't answer your question directly, although I must note that if a Christian isn't voting for Romney because he is Morman (or Kennedy because he was Catholic), it doesn't speak highly of their version of Christianity, does it.

However, in the Greek democracy of old, if you were a citizen, meaning a male soldier, you voted; that was the law.  In John Adams time, when a citizen was a white, Protestant (in many States), male, property owner, we didn't take voting quite as seriously.  Nevertheless, he did observe that the only way our form of Replublican (representative) government would ever work is if the citizenry remained forever virtuous in insuring Republicanism survives. 

In other words, you damn well better vote or risk losing everything you have because you were either too lazy or too cynical.

So true, so true. Appreciate you taking the time to answer.

7. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

I'm a Bible-believing Christian, but not a church-believing Christian. I find fault with aspects of all denominations.

I vote based upon major issues, not one or two, but how the candidate's position on say a dozen issues compares to my own. I haven't found the candidate yet who I didn't disagree with on at least a couple issues.

In general, I'm not fond of candidates who do things like commit adultery and habitually lie. If he cheats on his wife, why should I believe he won't cheat the taxpayer (me)?

Absolutely. The issues should be the determining factor in your voting decisions. Nobody will agree 100% on everything, I don't think. Good answer. Thanks for taking the time.

8. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Both candidates vow to trash the Constitution and Bill of Rights. That makes them both impeachable, if not downright treasonous. Attacking the strength of the Constitution destroys America; that makes both Romney and Obama enemies of America. If most of the other aspects of the Constitution are gone, then how can freedom of religion stand?

Now, I wouldn't vote for anyone based upon religion. Politicians can lie. So, even if they said they'd support everything I believe in, they could flip-flop as Obama did once he was in office.

I would look at a person's track record and base my decision on that. Too bad I didn't do that when Obama ran. I believed his silver-tongued rhetoric.

1. profile image0

Regrets will simply be avoided if we do not vote altogether. Let's face it: no matter who the candidates are, they will still fall short in one aspect or the other.

Thank you lone77star for taking the time to answer. You bring out a good point. Looking at a person's track record may be a good measure of future results. then again it may not. Like stocks past performance may not predict future results. Thanks!

9. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

I am a born again Christian, and I will be voting for Mitt Romney, because of his  integrity, honesty, because he cares about the American people, believes in marriage between a man and a woman, and because he stands for the family values that are scriptural, and are what God wants.  And, he and Paul Ryan will do what is best for the United States because they do believe that God is in control and not men.  It will not prevent me from voting for Romney because he is Mormon.

I will not vote for Obama because he stands for everything that I am against....he stands for abortions, same sex marriages, teaching our children in school about homosexual behavior being acceptable, and all of these things are against what God wants.  There are many more reasons I wouldn't vote for him, and just don't trust him.....I don't think he has integrity, honesty, or really cares about the American people......I think he wants to be in control for all the wrong reasons.

1. My Esoteric profile image85
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, since it is now a demonstrable fact, via DNA,  that homosexuality is genetic and not a choice, which means God has made certain people homesexuals and therefor wants them that way; how does that square with your homophobia?

Hi Oceansider thanks for your comments and your honesty. The issues will be the basis for my vote as well. Thank you for taking the time to answer the question.

3. Briandbsa profile image57
      Briandbsaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting concept regarding homosexuality, the Bible is clear on the subject and so is anatomy, I believe ones thinking must be skewed to think homosexuality is normal or God given. You love the person, but not lifestyle. As for president, not O.

4. kellyteam profile image60

Dear My Esoteric the last I heard that information was not true. could you direct me to when and where that information was verified?

5. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60

oceansider,
      I appreciate you so much. But how? Lord God in Heaven, how? The man is a MORMON  and he puts folks in classes, 47 %! If he doesn't agree with you, "he gets rid of you". Shoot, he will let your company go broke, under and tear it apart!

6. kellyteam profile image60

I'm sorry My Esoteric, I was referring to your comment about the DNA and homosexuality. The last I recalled that info was found not to be true info. I wasn't aware of a turnaround on that.

7. Ceegen profile image68
      Ceegenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read 1st Samuel chapter 8, and how it relates to government today. Specifically, verse 18.

10. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 11 years ago

voting is a personal issue, I read recently that everyone has their own set of priorities, and they are what drives people to vote as they do.
    One of the principles of being a Christian (which means to be a disciple of Christ-) is to behave as He would when confronted with various issues. So, the true question is... what will the INDIVIDUAL Christian do with the choices he or she has before them in this election.

Well put royalblkrose. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

actually with all do respect. Christian means "Christ like". To be in line with Christ doctorine. you are close enough! smile hugs & blessings

11. Trish303 profile image72
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

No not at all Religion dose not make someone a better candidate then then someone else. it is matter of what they stand for to me.

Hi Trish. Thanks for your response. I agree, religion should not be a determination for hiring someone for a job. Isn' that called discrimination. Thanks again.

12. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I don't have a vote in the election, but I would like to point out that the Nazis claimed to be Christians and Hitler went to church.  What people claim to be doesn't mean much; what they really are does, but it's sometimes difficult to see.  Jesus said, "By their fruits shall ye know them."  He was referring to false Messiahs but I would think it would apply to Presidential candidates as well.

You are absolutely correct. It should apply to anyone you have contact with and especially the leaders of our country. Thanks for your comment.

13. Lycan333 profile image59
    Lycan333posted 11 years ago

I don't have an issue with the faith of the president but any man or woman who sees nothing wrong with the killing MILLIONS of unborn kids has no business running America. Sometimes we have to vote for the "lesser of two evils."

Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Its greatly appreciated.

14. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years ago

I wouldn't vote for Romney because he has no moral code. No character becoming of the Leader of the free world. He is a More ON and I don't like how he classifies people into groups. 47 %. Well I have some math for him!

100 % dislike
    100 % disagree
    100 % disvow that he is even a human being
    100 % *Will not have my vote*
    100 % Believe he is the anti christ
    100 % Feel he will lead us to the slaughter like a bunch of cattle
    100 % Heard his craziness that he really believes "it's his turn" to be President.

All I can say is Obama! Obama! Obama! 2012 smile

The President was handed a mess, and to allow any Republician in the white house we will have more of a mess!  We need to get rid of Pelosi and Reid too.
    Send those two home for some rest and relaxation they so need
    Both of them aren't doing any favors! sad Nor are either of them helping matters any.

Wow Jo, not too fired up are you? smile Appreciate you taking the time to share your feelings on the subject. I see you asked about voting for the anti-christ and sealing our fate. You do realize that all in the bible must come to pass no matter what!?

Yes! the *fire* that burns in my heart is for equality for ALL Americans. I don't like labels placed on me. I have had enough of the gov doing this to me. I am fed up with it. I am a gracious gift from God. I use my talents he gives me to do his will

15. Ceegen profile image68
    Ceegenposted 11 years ago

No, I would not.

Not that it would matter anyway, I don't vote. Politics is a farce, a game, a charade.

1. movielardatadare profile image57

That's so my position.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  A farce, a game, a charade.  Nice answer that I had to vote up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)