What is time?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 11 years ago

What is time?

2. stvpaulson profile image65
    stvpaulsonposted 11 years ago

Time is simply the measurement of how far moving things move and how fast they move.  Time is just a "name" man has given to the things of the universe that are in motion, including ourselves and everything in our world.  I am not certain that I accept Einstein's General Theory of Relativity as postulated by himself.  Many scientists question many of his ideas, some of which he admitted were unfinished or unproven.  So with that in mind, I submit time is just a human way of measuring movement in the universe.
      To your other question about "do I accept the big bang theory" I Have to say that the big bang does not actually oppose anything in the Bible. As a Bible Student of many years I can point out that science can postulate the theory of the "big bang" but it still is just a theory which does hold some water.  But if the big bang actually happened as science says, then they must next say who/what created the big bang, and they'll never be able to accomplish that task.  This leads us to God being the initiator of all things by His will and by His Power.

jantamayaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Science and Bible aren't necessary contradictory. Why? Bible says nothig about HOW the the universe was actually developed (created?). There stands something about 7 days-but how long was and what is a DAY in this context? Do you know the answer?

stvpaulsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As below- "Time is measured in days, months, years, hours, minutes, seconds and even fractions of a second." It is measured by movement of the Universe.  The "7days" in the Bible...commented in the bible: a day is as a thousand yrs and a yr as a K ds

3. landofkirk profile image60
    landofkirkposted 11 years ago

What is time? 

This is an interesting question because there are so many different ways to look at time.   You could look at it philosophically, in the context of physics or as it pertains to yourself on a personal level. 

In junior high school, I learned that time is like a river that flows from the past, into the future.  Albert Einstein said that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down, so that while only an hour for you has passed, because you were traveling at near the speed of light, a hundred years may have elapsed for people on earth.  Time is a dimension, like length, height and width are dimensions. 

Time is measured in days, months, years, hours, minutes, seconds and even fractions of a second.  It is measured by the movement of the sun, the position of the stars and rotation of a second hand on a clock.  It is something we either have too much of on our hands or too little.  It is perceived to move slowly when we want it to move fast and moves fast when we want it to move slow.  It seems to move fastest when we are not paying it any attention at all!

Humans are the only creatures that seem to worry about time.  I have never seen a dog watching the clock while waiting for its next mean.  Nor have I ever noticed a cat looking at its watch to determine if it is time to get up. 

Yes, time is like the wind.  We cannot see it but we can feel its effects.  Time is like well water in that you do not miss it until you run out of it.  Time is something we never have enough of.

Yes, we never have enough of it :-)
      Although we never have enough of it, we nowhere can buy it!
      What would you say when we could buy time?
      Interesting, what you've said about animals.
      Thank you for your very good answer.

stvpaulsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jantamaya... your question is ONLY philisophical in nature as ONLY GOD knows the answer!  None of the respondants here are God.  I wish you luck in your search for a better life!

4. Caleb DRC profile image74
    Caleb DRCposted 11 years ago

Great question, Jantamaya.
    Time is a physical quality. Although frames of reference are needed for a more complete understanding of time, we can do a quick overview. Strong gravitational fields will slow down time, and at the event horizon of a black hole it stops altogether. Even the earth's gravitational field has been proven, with atomic clocks, to slow down time more at the surface than high above the surface. Velocity also slows down time. It is something that needs to be considered( special relativity) in the calculations associated with particle accelerators. One of the firsts proofs of Einstein's theory was with Mesons that were highly accelerated resulting in great velocities in our atmosphere. Time slowed down so much for them that their lifetimes were extended to several factors of 10. The proof that time is a physical quality has been unequivocally proven both scientifically and mathematically( Hawking and Penrose).

I personally believe that the process of God stretching space is what causes time to take shape and occur. Scripture implies that time will speed up in the last days, and this is consistent with the fact that the expansion of space is also accelerating.  Time is inextricably tied to dimensional analysis and is usually always popping its head up with space.

Jantamaya, I personally have first hand experience with the connection of space being expanded and time speeding up because as I get older I'm getting bigger, and time seems to be zipping on by soooo fast. Some scientists have erroneously tried to convince me that that is called getting fat! Can you imagine that?  Well, they will not be invited to my next party with all the goodies---I'm telling you that right now.

Oh, I need to add that there is no contradiction in the above statements because there is a difference between an expansion of space, and velocity in space. God stretching space makes time happen, speed within space slows down time.

Love your answer very much! So, we need to live close to a black hole to slow the time! OK Not too close, of course, but how close is not too close? To be permanent at great velocity wouldn't work with me - I would be too heavy at the end...see below

5. jantamaya profile image60
    jantamayaposted 11 years ago

There wasn't enough space in comments...
    Caleb DRC,
    Do I understand it right? To slow the time, I would need a huge gravitational field around me... OK, I want one!
    God is streaching the spacetime? Did I get it right? I don't know. What about the dark energy and matter? 97 % of the universe is dark matter?
    I'm sure that you aren't more fat, the galaxies are speeding too fast apart, the speed is so great that your weight is greater too = as you've said it in your answer :-) Just in case, the universe is fault.

This is an interesting last sentence in your answer.
    "...speed within space slows down time ." However, it sounds contradictory, I think.

1. Caleb DRC profile image74
      Caleb DRCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the equations of relativity are associated with velocity within space, not velocity of space; therefore, no contradiction. I believe the energy required by God to stretch space is manifested by dark energy.  I'm running out of space. I'll con

2. jantamaya profile image60

Caleb, maybe   time = space  (is it impossible?)

3. Caleb DRC profile image74
      Caleb DRCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I believe it is possible that time=space. Very interesting thought.

6. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

It's very simple :^)  Time is something that keeps everything from happening all at once.

:-), :-), :-)
      Funny, I like it.

7. chiradeep profile image67
    chiradeepposted 11 years ago

Time is the limit within which I need to fulfill the God given purpose of my life.

8. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Time is the quality of creation that involves persistence.

When you know the truth of something, it ceases to have the persistence dimension, effectively rotating in the time stream to have zero temporal width. As the great Nazarene teacher once said, know the truth and it will set you free.

And you can add persistence to a creation merely by "allowing" that creation or taking your awareness off of it until it has gained persistence.

9. jenniferlynn78 profile image60
    jenniferlynn78posted 11 years ago

Time... one moment...it can't be counted....the power of now...."Eckard T..." sums it up well.."the moment of now." "

Yes! I know and like Eckard. :-)

10. atotsm profile image60
    atotsmposted 11 years ago

It takes or it doesn't take time to answer that one.

11. dghbrh profile image80
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

TIME is now and here. Its one thing which just goes by like this moment which is gone by and we can not hold on to that. But we live by time till the end of life.
    Thank you you the interesting question.

Dghbrh, thank you for interesting answer :-)

12. 1701TheOriginal profile image94
    1701TheOriginalposted 9 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)