Where would you rather go on vacation: A plush hotel, a secluded cabin, camping

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Where would you rather go on vacation: A plush hotel, a secluded cabin, camping or somewhere else?

Everyone has his/her own idea of the dream getaway.  What's yours, and why?

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Out of these three a secluded cabin - could we make that a secluded stone cottage - because it would mean I'd be on nature's doorstep and I prefer to completely get away from things when I go on holiday (vacation!). My last venture took me to Catalonia in Spain. We rented a small casa high up in the foothills of the Pyrenees and spent a heavenly 10 days exploring and relaxing. Crowded beaches and bars packed full of tourists just ain't my thing.

Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am so with you on that, Chef!  And I envy your stay in Spain - how did you find your retreat?

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 11 years ago

A secluded but plush cabin in wintertime when it is snowing.

Ooooh - wouldn't that be beautiful!  Have you ever done Yellowstone in the winter?  That's on my Bucket List!

4. isenhower33 profile image65
    isenhower33posted 11 years ago

I would love to go back pack across Australia smile

I love that idea!  Did you ever see the movie, Australia?  It wasn't all that acclaimed, but it is spectacular!

2. isenhower33 profile image65
      isenhower33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I havent, but im a huge movie buff so now i have to watch it lol smile I dont think i'll ever have the money to do that unless my music makes me famous lol smile

5. nmdonders profile image72
    nmdondersposted 11 years ago

I would choose a secluded cabin because that's my type of scenery.  However, I watch a lot of horror movies and bad things happen in secluded cabins haha.  Not sure if I'd want to be alone there or not.

Oh, gosh - please don't tell me about those movies!  I don't want to worry about that part!

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

For me it has to be a small hotel on the coast which affords excellent sea fishing by day, fine dining on locally caught/reared/produced food in the early evening and a welcoming bar with a real fire in which to spend the latter part of the evening. I'm fortunate in that I get to live this dream at least a couple of times a year! smile

Wow - so, can we come and visit?  Sounds like a true paradise!

7. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

A weekend stay at New Orleans during Mardi Gras then board a month long cruise to tour plenty of stops in Europe.

Ooooh - fun idea!   I haven't done Mardi Gras as an adult - it would be so interesting to see!

2. Michelle Hawkins profile image60
      Michelle Hawkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on that cruise to Europe just not sure if I could handle a whole month being on a cruise, 2 weeks would be better for me.

3. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, past two weeks is overkill. However, I would rather not do the dishes and go to every available port in Europe than come back and wish I had gone. Mardi Gras is always entertaining, as a child or as an adult. Just beware of the drunks.

8. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I love to go to a secluded cabin in the mountains. The beauty and peace are so special. These vacations are some of my best memories.

I have a niece who owns cabins in the hills in Ohio, and it is just gorgeous.  I keep planning to go there for a long weekend,  or maybe a month . . .

9. leroy64 profile image64
    leroy64posted 11 years ago

Depends. 

While the plush hotel sounds good, I think I would be happier with a cabin in East Texas, near a creek or pond where I could fish for catfish.  I would not want it to be too secluded,  A small town nearby would be nice, if only to find vegetables to go with the fish.  Too much of a city boy to completely rough it, although I do know enough to stay out of bull pastures.

When I need to completely get away from people:

I drive to Lubbock, or some place in West Texas, and enjoy the solitude and flat land between here and there.  I might even stop and feel the sun burning my skin and my worries away-at least temporarily.  In this case, the destination really is never as important as the road.  That is because the destination has people and the road only has cars and coyotes - oh, and Dairy Queens.

We must live near each other - I love the Piney Woods, too, and I absolutely agree that a ride through West Texas is very renewing.  Plenty of time to think and meditate, and it's actually kinda ruggedly beautiful.

10. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Marcy...You always ask great questions.  Of the 3 choices you have given us, I can immediately choose the "secluded cabin."   I'm not fond of camping.......OK, I hate it....went once and griped the entire time.   I don't need the luxuries and amenities of a plush hotel, (although this would be very nice for a special occasion week-end) but I really must have some conveniences that a cabin would give me.  I like quiet, peaceful and natural surroundings  and how conducive a vacation like this would be to relaxation and introspection.    I'm all packed, where's the cabin?

Hey, let's go together, dear friend!  How about Maho Bay in the Virgin Islands?  It has trees and greenery, cabins, and a beach that is out of the movies!

11. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

A plush hotel with all the fixin's - room service, a private pool or spa.  Outdoors is not my cup of tea, besides I live in Montana so the cabin and camping experience would be redundant.

LOL!  I see your point!  Montana is breathtaking, though - lucky you!

12. Michelle Hawkins profile image60
    Michelle Hawkinsposted 11 years ago

I have several places I'd love to go to and see. 1 in particular would be to stay in a secluded cabin somewhere in Alaska.  I'd love to go whale watching. I've stayed at nice, plush hotels before. I've camped in the woods several times and I've been on 6 cruises all over the caribbean but I've never gone to any place like Alaska before.

Have you done the Alaska cruise?  I hear it is wonderful - another Bucket List must-see for me.  Whale watching is great - i got to do it in Hawaii, and I had no idea how exciting it would be.  Hope you get to live your dream vacation!

13. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

If I go on vacation I want to be outside.  I don't travel places so I can sit inside and watch TV.  I would rather be in a secluded cabin or a tent than a plush hotel.  When I have used hotels on vacation I did not spend very much time in them.  In my opinion the best thing about a nice hotel is the pool but I can do without a pool.  I prefer swimming in natural water.  Pool water has bleach in it and I find beaches more relaxing than pool areas.

14. rfmoran profile image71
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

I prefer anyplace on the water, whether it's a condo, a house or a boat. A cruise ship works just fine.

15. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I'd like to take a starship ride to Mars, Saturn and Alpha Centauri.

Do you know where I could find a good, inexpensive starship?

16. austinhealy profile image72
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

A secluded drifwood cabin on a small, out of the beaten path Caribbean island,  in the winter, with the right person of course smile

17. BSloan profile image68
    BSloanposted 11 years ago

I would opt for the plush hotel.  While I'm on vacation, I like to feel pampered, which for me would mean no cooking and no cleaning!

18. mommy ara profile image68
    mommy araposted 11 years ago

I think I would like to take my family to a secluded cabin up in the mountains surrounded by lush greenery. A few days away from technology (TV, computers) and just concentrate on each others' company would be nice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)