If Romney gets elected and cuts funding to PBS will you be bothered?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. violetheaven profile image60
    violetheavenposted 11 years ago

If Romney gets elected and cuts funding to PBS will you be bothered?

With the many programs and educational shows through this network, will you find yourself willing or wanting to support/donate?

2. Sue St. Clair profile image69
    Sue St. Clairposted 11 years ago

Although PBS does have some nice concerts and programs, I will not be bothered by the loss of Big Bird. If it comes down to being in debt or being without Big Bird, I have no problems saying good-bye to PBS.

violetheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the grown up answer.

3. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

I've done business with CPB and related operations. It's like dealing with the Kremlin before the collapse of the USSR. Despite ceaseless denials, it is an entrenched institution of ideologues and partisans. Public funds should not go to any such organization. Taxpayers who disagree with its political agenda should not be compelled to support it.

Private contributions are another matter. Anyone who wants is, and will remain, free to give to PBS. No one, however, should be forced to do so.

Thanks for answering!

2. pagesvoice profile image74
      pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what is the political agenda of PBS? Is their agenda of educating our youngsters, appreciating the arts, understanding other people, races or cultures, or is it simply acceptance of others that bother you? I don't see your point.

3. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You might were you to spend more time watching its politically prejudiced news and commentary programs with an open eye, and less time thinking up insults couched as questions to toss at people who don't view the world through your filters.

4. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

No way. I'd much rather buy bombs with that money so we can blow up more kids in other countries. Go Romney!

1. The Frog Prince profile image71
      The Frog Princeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now there's a grown up answer.

2. violetheaven profile image60

LOL

3. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Defunding PBS whilst expanding military spending is trading Big Bird for bombs, so it is about priorities, not spending reductions.

4. The Frog Prince profile image71

So says the wise sage junk peddler.  Like I said you may want to try a grownup answer rather than that left wing speak.

5. junkseller profile image78

Put forth an argument Frog. I've told you on numerous occasions that I don't waste time on your insults or simplistic labels. You are, quite simply, beneath me.

5. The Frog Prince profile image71
    The Frog Princeposted 11 years ago

Not in the least.  PBS needs to learn how to stand on its own two feet and not mine and other taxpayers.  We have a fiscal crisis and don't need to be borrowing money from China to be buying Big Bird's bird seed.

The Frog

1. bankscottage profile image90
      bankscottageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least for Sesame Street, they make a lot of money on their own and get relatively little government funding compared to their total operating expenses.

2. The Frog Prince profile image71

I just wrote a Hub about it and Sesame Productions could own PBS if they desired.

3. pagesvoice profile image74
      pagesvoiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funding by the federal government to PBS amounts to 1/100th % of the budget. Chump change compared to what it will cost taxpayers with less regulations on Wall Street, the banking industry and oil and gas companies.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I can still get Keeping up Appearances on Netflix.

Thats a BBC show so it will continue....

2. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess on a more serious note, no, I won't be bothered. I would, however, be concerned about the national deficit since cancelling funding for PBS will do nothing to that.

7. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

We need to stop being a Nanny State.

I'd gladly support PBS. I have in the past.

The government should stop trying to be everything to everyone. Bureaucrats getting their fingers on the pulse of money flow leads to corruption not only financially, but managerially.

My friend liberals need a Nanny.  They have never learned personal responsibility for themselves.  You and I obviously speak the same language.  Liberal talking points get tiresome.

8. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 11 years ago

The government in any civilized society has an obligation to support the arts and education simply because of the overarching benefits that accrue. Citizens become better informed and more aware of their similarities and differences when exposed to divergent ideas and expressions of them, which naturally makes them more qualified to analyze candidates and their positions. Critics on the left and right disagree on the amount of support the government should provide. Eliminating funding for PBS would therefore be a gross disservice to the population, including children, especially when Sesame Street's cost is $4 million in a multi-trillion  dollar budget.

What's next on the chopping block? The National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities? Just because a program doesn't generate revenue shouldn't mean it has no intrinsic value, but I guess that's the difference in an MBA vs. an MFA.

We are having to go down to the necessities in case you haven't noticed.  We're $16 trillion in debt and counting.  Your thoughts are splendid but the reality we now face doesn't jive with any of that.

The Frog

2. profile image0
      huckelburyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually cutting 0.00000025% from the debt will not get the country down to necessities. China's holdings of US debt arose when we had to borrow to support 2 unfunded wars that were "off budget," not lining Big Bird's nest.

3. The Frog Prince profile image71

So let me see here.  We have to start somewhere and start with things we can't afford.  Things like giving Sesame Productions $1 million in Stimulus money.  Things like letting PBS stand on its own feet and not ours.

4. Attikos profile image82
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sesame Street DOES generate revenue. It will do just fine without a subsidy. The Big Bird attack line is a campaign canard.

5. junkseller profile image78

Cutting PBS funding is representative of cuts that Romney would consider making across the board to other social and educational programs, so demonstrates a significantly different set of spending priorities. That's not a canard at all.

9. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

For me personally, No. But, For children that learn so much from watching the educational programs, Yes. It would be a shame for the next generation of children to miss out on all of the great programs that PBS provides. I would also gladly donate to PBS for the children.

10. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 11 years ago

Given I'm planning for children, and getting the assistance required for that to happen, I wouldn't want my children missing out on the experiences I had watching Seasame St - but if it does get cut, I guess Seasame Street could buy PBS outright anyway.
    The problem I have with all this is the idea that Mitt would get elected.  I'm pretty sure America can't be that stupid 3 times (electing Bush twice was....not clever.).  Obama and America are in the fiscal position they are in because of Bush....don't do it again!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)