What is you signature recipe?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Jesse Mugnier profile image61
    Jesse Mugnierposted 11 years ago

What is you signature recipe?

I'm looking to expand my recipe book. Currently my most raved above recipe is Chocolate Chip Cookies. Granted this is not that impressive by any culinary standard, but it's the best thing I've every made.
    What is the one thing you can cook or bake better than most? Has anyone ever requested you make it for a special event?

2. Trish303 profile image71
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

It sounds odd but mine is a big red turkey. I'm asked to make every thanksgiving, and everyone who has had it loves me and begs for the recipe. The recipe happen by a large mistake but it is the best turkey you will ever have.
    The first time it was made was while we where camping for thanks giving I thought i would make a turkey on the campfire. so I did it like a normally do with lemon, onion, sage, garlic, and butter. put it a roasting pan and set it on hot coals close to the fire. Well I guess I had it to close and the whole thing caught fire. I did not have water close by all I had was a bottle of big red, so i dumped it on it to put out the fire. Well with it being thanksgiving there was nothing open to go eat and that was all we had so I keep cooking it, and when it was done I old everyone sorry.
    Well it turned out o good, the big red, mixed with the lemon and sage and made this amazing sweet and sour like sauce. Since then i have fixed the recipe. and no longer set it on fire, and it is amazing. Every thanksgiving that story is bought up the fallowed that is the best turkeys i have ever had.

Jesse Mugnierposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is wonderful! The best recipes happen because we take risks, intentional or not!
      Great story! That would be an interesting way to flavor a turkey, I may have to try it!

3. JaimePage profile image60
    JaimePageposted 11 years ago

Brownies, for sure! I started with a basic recipe and tweaked it until it was perfect. I owned a brownie business for awhile and made them for special events, birthdays, charities and mail order.  Exhausting, but fun.  I learned a lot.

I checked out your page and your brownies look amazing! I love baking, however I always seem to fail at brownies, even when they come out of a box! Any suggestions?

2. JaimePage profile image60
      JaimePageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Using quality chocolate and cocoa powder is #1 for me.  I usually use Callebaut, but Ghiardelli comes in a close second.  Nordic Ware pans - 9X9 seem to make the perfect sized brownie. I love those.  Pick up biscuit cutters - they cut the most even.

3. Jesse Mugnier profile image61

Thank you so much! I will try these, hopefully I will have abetter turn out. smile

4. denisemai profile image68
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

I make really good cookies--all kinds of them. My first, like you, was chocolate chip but then I expanded my list. I also make good breads and pizzas. I've brought bread based hors d'oevres on many occasions. I guess it's my signature because most people just buy their cookies and bread.

I do make my own pizza dough, and although it's good, its not great. I use a recipe I found on foodnetwork.com, by a very famous chef, but for some reason it just comes out average. Could using a special flour or yeast help?

5. bizzymom profile image62
    bizzymomposted 11 years ago

I would have to say it is my barbecued ribs.  They are a hit every time.  Great question by the way!

1. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh yummy one of my favs/pork or beef?

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image61

Thank you! I'm too terrified to take on ribs so I give you a lot of credit!
      Thanks for answering!

3. bizzymom profile image62
      bizzymomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I make pork barbecued ribs!

6. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 11 years ago

bread of all kinds and cinnamon rolls are fun to make, but of all the breads, cornbread is my absolute best! I tried for years to copy my mothers recipe but couldnt get it right...so I started playing with it,now with just sour cream added to the basic ingredients its beautiful!! so good!! if thats all I want, I add a can of chopped green chilis and cheese and voila, supper!

That is pure genius! Taking something so simple as cornbread and turning it into a full meal? Incredible, major vote up! Thank you for answering!

2. ithabise profile image72
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please share it with us! There was a family friend whose cornbread sent me and my siblings into a frenzy! She'd never share the recipe, but I speculated sour cream was somewhere in there. My mom makes a great Mexican cornbread that is like a meal.

7. kathyinmn profile image60
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

I would have to say it's the Harvest Soup I make that everyone loves.  it's simple yet hearty. I have how to make it posted on my hubs, called Old Fashion Harvest Soup.

What a great recipe! I love when you can switch out ingredients and the amounts of ingredients you put in, makes cooking a lot easier! And I love the festive name, thank you for sharing!

8. Backwater Sage profile image58
    Backwater Sageposted 11 years ago

Oysters on the half shell with "Dat'l Do it Hot sauce". Shucking the oysters takes some practice (they do it for you at a good seafood store), but the sauce is complete. I think it is the best I have ever used, including my own secret sauce. It was developed for world famous Barnacle Bill's in St. Augustine. It is a Florida treasure. Its perfect just like it is. The devil drops and all the other varieties they make are good, but the original recipe is the huckleberry. 

http://www.datildoit.com/hotstuff.htm

I'm not one for seafood but any hot and spicy is right up my ally! Thanks for commenting, and making me want to try that sauce!

2. Backwater Sage profile image58
      Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love it on eggs! It is a good way to wean a Yankee off of pouring ketchup on them. I think they saw a southerner putting Texas Pete on theirs and got confused.

I've had hotter sauces. If you were from India or Mex. you would say it is medium/mild

9. ithabise profile image72
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

Not really sure. My family begs me for my cakes and pastas. The two favorites are a cream cheese pound cake that seems to make people swoon and a lasagna I've perfected.

You had me at cream cheese pound cake! That sounds so good!!! Thank you for sharing smile

10. elinaia profile image61
    elinaiaposted 11 years ago

I would say gingerbread cookies. II'll post a recipe just for this answer. No , I have never been requested to make anything for a special event, im pretty young and people dont normally believe in "youngsters"

1. Backwater Sage profile image58
      Backwater Sageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about that. I made out like a fat bandit when my kids started cooking.

2. Jesse Mugnier profile image61

It's not about age, it's about skill. Maybe you should make some for the holidays coming up, force everyone to try one, show them what you can do!
      I believe in you and I bet those cookies are out of this world.

11. moonfairy profile image74
    moonfairyposted 11 years ago

It would have to be my spaghetti sauce. In the cold months I end up making it about every other week! It's delicious smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)