Parents/Grandparents: How have you dealt with a child's decision to join the mil

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. tiffany delite profile image73
    tiffany deliteposted 11 years ago

Parents/Grandparents: How have you dealt with a child's decision to join the military at 18?

I have groomed my children to go to college since they were young; however, my oldest son recently turned 18 and has made the decision to join the military. I want to be very supportive of him and his decision, but I am very uptight and anxious. Please tell me some of your good/proud moments about your children serving our country!

2. jellygator profile image89
    jellygatorposted 11 years ago

Joining the military was one of the best decisions I made in my life, so I was happy when my daughter joined. She served in Iraq, which has proved to be a mixed blessing.

My recommendation is to help your son evaluate the job he's going into, though. Some are more prone to war than others. Also, he should be aware of the cost of being a veteran. While the recruiters dangle the benefits in front of kids' noses, they don't explain that unemployment, homelessness, traumatic brain injury, and suicide rates are much higher among veterans than among the general population.

If neither of you know anyone on active duty other than his recruiter, feel free to contact me directly and I can offer you resources to check out some of this kind of stuff.

3. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

I joined the Army when I turned 18.  For me it was a wise decision only because it gave me opportunities I would not have had other wise.  I agree with jellygator about the possible ramifications and the methods of enlistment a recruiter may use to manipulate a young adult to make an uninformed decision about joining the military and choosing an area of expertise.  I would recommend your son avoid any combat arms positions and positions that are closely related to combat arms or combat arms support.  Infantry, transportation, combat medics, combat engineers, mechanics, tankers, and military police are all areas where there is an increased risk of experiencing unintended combat and targeted attacks by unfriendly combatants.  If it is not too late, I would highly recommend he go to college first, get a degree and then enter the service as an officer, the opportunitites are better when he leaves the service.  He canbiotin the national guard or reserves if he needs college money and then go active duty after he graduates.  He can do officer training and be paid as an E-5 while he goes to college, and would receive his commission when he graduates.  This should also leave him debt freeopponent graduation.  I was misguided and not given but two MOS choices, infantry or airborne infantry.  I would spend my first two years in combat, and then serve two additional combat tours as an active duty enlisted soldier and a member of the National Guard.  While I was lucky to not have been wounded or suffer from other physical or mental illness or injury, some of my fellow soldiers were not so lucky.  Again, I am proud to have served and I am thankful for the opportunities that I have been given because of my military service, but if I had to do it all over again I would make a much better more informed decision and I would have gone to college first.

4. profile image0
    Tina Trueloveposted 11 years ago

Like you, I raised my children to value education. As an educator, I thought this was of utmost importance, and it is. However, like you, my son decided he wanted to join the Army at age 17. My persuasion was limited since we are a military oriented family. My husband was in the Marines and my son has great-grandparents, uncles and cousins in different military branches. Along with teaching my children the importance of a college education, we also taught them to be the epitome of patriots. High school was rather challenging for my son and college was high on his priority list only in front of me. However, it was not at the top of his personal list. I was proud of his decision to join the Army, but I highly stressed that he should go to school first. He could then enter as an officer and drastically increase his income. He decided to compromise. He joined the National Guard on his own after he turned 18. He wanted to do it on his own. He didn't want his parents signing for him, and he enrolled in a local college. Still, college was challenging for him and procrastination is his trademark. He didn't get his National Guard scholarship paperwork turned so he was left with no money for tuition. My husband and I felt it would not be doing him justice to pay for his classes when he has a full scholarship available to him. All he has to do is turn in the paperwork. So, he did not go to school this last semester. I had to come to the realization that school was not important enough to my son at that time and a low GPA would only be harmful to him. My son works hard. Our attempt to instill a good work ethic in our children has definitely paid off. He works with a landscaping company while doing his duty with the National Guard. I have watched my son grow as a person and a man. I had to support his decision, as long as he was working hard to make a life for himself, even if his choices were not the ones I would have made. He is now planning to start his own landscaping company so he can go back to school. He decided that on his own so NOW, education is important to HIM. Also, the Army has taught my son leadership skills, which he will need to run his own company. The Army has taught my son personal discipline. He turned in his scholarship papers. The Army is dangerous. We live in a nation at war and I am terrified for him. But, I am proud at the same time . . . weird coming from a mom, but I guess it is because military life is ingrained in my family.Out of space smile

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

This happened with my older brother and of course it is upsetting. He was very intelligent and graduated in the top of his class but this was his decision and it doesn't mean they can't continue their education, in fact I had another brother who made military about education it seems. All paid for by Uncle Sam. All you can do is support them. Both turned out good in my family.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

I was in the military. Has he is already signed up? If not, there is a better option available of which he may not be aware. He can go to college at age 18 and apply for an ROTC scholarship. It will pay for college completely. After he earns his degree, he will receive a commission as an officer (2nd lieutenant). That means higher pay, more responsibility, education is out of the way, and he'll be debt-free. Look into the ROTC program that a college offers.

7. rouilliewilkerson profile image59
    rouilliewilkersonposted 11 years ago

No way!!  I'm still ticked off that my stretch marks and other sacrifices made for this schmuck of a son of mine (he got suckered by those predatory military recruiters that visit high schools) meant zilch as he nearly got himself killed serving in Afganistan!

Wow, he got to meet the vice president and his wife, Pfft! He looks really handsome and strong in his seated hockey games (spinal cord injury), and despite my feelings (or even the facts), he's willing to die for something he believes is benefiting others less fortunate. That has to count for something!

Moreover, it’s his choice, he's a man - not an easy thing to accept as mothers with 18 years of care, nurturing and hopes behind our sons (or daughters that are serving  as well, you know). Buck up mom, he needs your love and support.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)