What was your most memorable road trip?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. abbykorinnelee profile image52
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

What was your most memorable road trip?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7395000_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Well, I've had many but a couple stand out from the crowd. The first was when a friend and I visited California way back in time. We hired a Ford Pinto from a shady looking car rental place in the middle of San Fransisco and set out gleefully to tour the state. Picture a couple of greenhorn young Brits negotiating those horrific hills in SF within minutes of leaving that rental park - rollercoaster or what! Don't know how we survived the first half hour but we did and ended up on the coastal route to Big Sur. Talk about contrasts. With a rough map, a few dollars, two backpacks and little sense we toured for a week taking in that sweet coastline (whales and all) before moving inland to Yosemite Park - in the middle of January. No wonder the puzzled policeman who stopped us for out of date plates? recommended we get chains on our wheels - we literally slid down that Yosemite entrance road on packed snow and ice. 4 am and freezing, coyote sniffing us out, waiting for the cabins to open.
    Beautiful awesome scenery. Thick snow. Clear skies and still crisp air. I can breathe it in even now.
    Then it was on and on....a night frozen beside Lake Tahoe, into the old gold mining villages, up to the Napa Valley and that perfumed intoxicating smell of vines...over the Golden Gate back to the theme park of SF..where we would eventually meet the Moonies and other interesting characters!!
    Oh to be young and foolish again.

abbykorinneleeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is every young person's dream right there!!! I grew up in California so I know where you are talking about.  I have had many great road trips but that one I can't even closly compare...maybe old people can do that too lol

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I live in Ca and have fond memories of my brother buying a 5 speed Chevy and having to pick up his girl friend in San Francisco. What a roller coaster ride.  He had never driven a stick and at the bottom of every hill he had to stop at a red light.

3. abbykorinnelee profile image52

I remember after learning to drive taking my first mini-road trip to Magic Mountain at the base of the grapevine and deciding I wanted to see what was over the hill.  My car had to stay in the slow lane it was almost pleading with me to stop

3. J. Biaza profile image60
    J. Biazaposted 11 years ago

Right after graduating from college I took a solo trip from Calif to Colorado.  Absolutely loved it.  This was the perfect break from everything and everyone, and I was able to enjoy the beauty of solitude before returning to the real working world. 
    I ended up moving to the beautiful state of Colorado --before moving to the gorgeous state of Alaska.

That is definatley a beautiful drive; when I did it we went up to the hotel that is on that hill near my sister's old house; the one used in the movie the Shining.  That was great.  Plus I loved the town of Fort Collins.

4. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

Every time I have travelled by car in an overseas country I have enjoyed it. I have hidden wish to drive from America's east cost to west. Just soaking in the sites on the road.

I was in Germany and that was one place I was terrified to drive lol.  We did a trip up to Europa Park and did the overnight in the cabin and teepee like camping up there.  I refused to drive or get my license because of the autobahn

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

When my kids were tiny, 3 and an infant, we all drove to Oregon to visit an aunt of mine.  It was the most relaxing trip, we were relaxed and it was just a wonderful time and the baby was very cooperative.

You are brave!!! I did a trip with my kids and all under five, to Crescent City Calfornia up on the orgeon border...worst trip of my life lol

6. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

It was one that I made on a motorcycle. I drove for over two thousand miles. On the road I met other travelers and experienced the consequences of weather, fatigue and hunger.

I will always remember it!

I have never been n a motorcycle.  i bet its a liberating experience

2. unvrso profile image84
      unvrsoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is. It´s different than driving a car. You feel more freedom; however, when in bad weather, it is better to find shelter to avoid getting sick.

7. JamaGenee profile image77
    JamaGeneeposted 11 years ago

A friend and I intended to go from Topeka KS to Ames IA for a Billy Joel-Elton John concert.  That was all.  We left on a Friday, the concert was Saturday night, but we were barely 100 miles from home when the weekend turned into the weirdest but most interesting road trip I've ever been on, which I chronicled in a hub at http://jamagenee.hubpages.com/hub/Throu … d-In-Iowa.

I will look at it:)  Thanks for sharing

8. abbykorinnelee profile image52
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

My wildest road trip was a trip from Texas to Georgia and back.  I had gone to visit my best friend who was having a horrible time during her husband's Army Iraq deployment.  I drive straight there on little buy caffeine pills and coffee.  We had a great visit until we had to go back unexpected because my son ended up in the E.R. because his 7 year old self was "playing with himself" and couldn't get "it" down.  So I decided to pay for my friend's gas so her and her daughter could come back with me.  First we get stuck in New Orleans on the highway with a flat tire, no cop would stop to help us but a multitude did pass...a passerby helped us.  Than we get seperated and had no cell phones and so I had to camp out in the rest area with my laptop and a pay phone using the yahoo instant messenger to chat with a friend in TX who was on the phone with my friend.  After hours we finally meet up and decide to sleep a couple hours between two big rigs.  Not an hour into our snooze my friend in TX texts my bff and tells her she has to get her own kids unexpectedly and wants us there pronto.  We were about 15 hours away.  So more caffeine pills and we end up pulling over so my friend could puke them up.  We end up passing a truck with a casket in the back just chilling poking out the back of this run down pickup...we are driving through this road way with swamps on both sides and this dude has a captains hat on...we sped off thinking we were going to be victims on ID disappeared and buried alive in the swamps.  Next we get back only to figure out her daughter had head lice and all three of us couldn't enter my house until my friend who had come over to help with the kids could de-lice all three of us.  Never did stop ur road trips, we actually ended up doing more because it was so eventful

9. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I guess the most memorable would be when we moved from Louisiana to California when I was a kid. We left with all our worldly belongings, 4 kids, 2 adults and a German Shepherd in a 20 year old Buick sedan. It was summer, the car had no air conditioning, and it took us 4 days to get across Texas (mainly because we had several flat tires).

I know how that drive can be...even without flat tires its awfule:)

10. Joyce Fischer profile image60
    Joyce Fischerposted 7 years ago

It was St. Louis to Portland, Oregon with no cash a $500 limit on one credit card 1992. I had to do some fancy moves to make it there. But you'll have to wait until I post that road trip story to find out.

11. Cheapflightsss profile image32
    Cheapflightsssposted 7 years ago

last year when I was in Egypt, Hurghada, ElGouna ... it was a fantastic atmosphere that I really liked <3

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)