What do you think about an intervention forum for suicide on Hubpages ?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

What do you think about an intervention forum  for suicide on Hubpages ?

Have YOU ever seriously considered suicide ?, Do you think hubs would be a good place to have a forum thread for intervention? Could the writings of others help prevent  a waste of a life ?

2. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

There are four parts to my answer:

I'm not going to answer the personal question directly. But I will say that I have a long term involvement (30 years) of concerns regarding suicide and successful suicide interventions.

Do I think that HubPages would be a good place for actual intervention that would be intended to help save a life? No. Direct suicide prevention requires expertise that could not be guaranteed through a HubPages forum and a level of personal contact and cultural familiarity not possible on a worldwide forum. HubPages is a community of writers and readers, not a community that could effective perform reliable intervention.

Would a forum thread in support of learning about suicide intervention be valuable? I'm not sure. I don't participate in the forums here. On the positive side, discussion and sharing understanding of suicide intervention is certainly valuable. But many people think they have good, reliable knowledge when the knowledge is partial, or only relevant to some cases or some communities. When life is on the line, how do we know that the guidance we are receiving is the best if it comes on an open forum with no system of accountability and few ways to prevent misunderstanding and groupthink?

To end on a much more positive note: Just by existing, HubPages already helps prevent suicide. It provides hope, inspiration, connection, and an opportunity for free expression. Each of these can help a person lift himself or herself out of despair and regain a reason to live and the feeling of joy in life.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I think it would feed the attention seeking trolls. Real intervention needs to come from people who know what they are doing.

1. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I don't think Hubpages would be an effective intervention method for suicide prevention.  A person contemplating suicide is not likely to be looking around Hubpages for it. They need urgent help and professional help.

A person seriously considering ending their life is not likely to receive the help they need from reading a hub. It is a nice idea but I don't think it would be of much help.

5. coffeegginmyrice profile image81
    coffeegginmyriceposted 11 years ago

Do I think that HubPages would be a good place for suicide intervention? NO. Thinking of suicide is a serious matter. The suicidal person could leave HubPages a hub or open a forum that brings about his/her deep feelings, the pouring out of sadness with the intent to commit suicide soon or after a hub could be written, or after a few forum threads. Just like how they leave statuses and messages on Facebook hinting that “something” IS going to happen (the killing rampage, suicidal notes & videos, killing of one self).  The "individual in crisis" will have no time to read and scan through hubs that could prevent thoughts of suicide to turn into reality. Followers/readers to this hubber feel jumping in to reach out to console or comfort the bothered hubber.  I have encountered hubbers who offer to email or call them so they may be of help. There is nothing bad about it; one’s sincere words could enlighten and inspire the other, and the final decision depends upon the individual who is in suicide mode through the willingness to listen and act as advised to save his/her life.

If there is a hubber out there, who is a professional to matters like this (Safety and Health Professional, Spiritual Leaders, Senior Administrators, Faculty/Teachers or Counselors), they know what they are doing and they know how to solve these issues, procedures and such.   After the first step to get the suicidal person to reach back to you (away from HubPages through personal email or phone number) will hopefully head to a brighter direction. 

An intervention forum thread on Hubpages for this matter might not be appropriate, as this matter needs special attention and help. It could worsen the issue if someone trolling would set in. I for one could be very thankful that Hubpages at its best is a community with friendly and caring people and a place to share each other’s thoughts and work.  As far our feelings of concern would fall instantly to the person in crisis, the most valuable thing we hubbers could do when responding to a fallen individual trying to send a “message” is to find ways where to channel assistance for the individual with suicidal thoughts or behaviour.

You make a lot of good points.

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Silly  question .....All such excellent points  it just wouldn't work would it ! Perhaps if we only encourage people in need to write about it ,....... we all win !

People in need can, indeed, benefit from writing about it. But it is best kept in a private journal, or shared only with people one can trust. In my experience, what people need at the moment of decision for suicide is loving human contact.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)