Do you believe everyone you meet was destined to be in your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (25 posts)
  1. proudmamma profile image81
    proudmammaposted 11 years ago

Do you believe everyone you meet was destined to be in your life?

For a life blessing or life lesson?

2. abbykorinnelee profile image51
    abbykorinneleeposted 11 years ago

I don't know that I believe in "destiny".  I don't believe every single person who crosses our paths is there for a reason.  For instance, those that we pass on a street and never see again and there was no contact.  However, I do believe that the people we have in our lives at different stages of our life there is a reason they are in our life.  That the people in our life may only be there for a short time but serve a purpose.  Maybe to teach us something, for us to have an impact on them, to change our values etc.  I think some are meant to only be there for a little while and others a lifetime.  I think that to not believe that there is some reason is a little self focused.  Only because we are supposed to help someone else's life in some way too.  Maybe in a negative way or positive way.  There is a rhym and reason for everything in this world, but not necessarily for us to question or understand.  Life is supposed to be a mystery and its kind of fun too if you think about it.  I like to wonder what people in my life are supposed to be there for.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Yes, I do believe that every encounter has a purpose and was destined to be. It can be a blessing or feel like a curse but there is always a lesson. I wrote a poem about this very subject years ago and it remains one of my favorites (not a hub here). I have shared it with clients as a teaching tool about relationships that come to an end.

4. teaches12345 profile image77
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

Wow, what an interesting an thougth provoking question.  It may be too deep for me to answer in such a short time and space.  I would say that people come into our lives for a purpose, maybe not everyone, but there are definitely some who make quite an impression and impact on our lives.  I know that God has a plan for everything in our lives (Jer 29:11), but some time we take detours on our own -- not sure how this affects those we meet.

5. Abluesfornina profile image60
    Abluesforninaposted 11 years ago

No, i don't believe in destiny. I don't believe your life is already planned out for you or else why makes choices as to who you will be with in a relationship, you already know you have absolutely nothing to do with or have no say in the outcome. I've also heard the saying of a reliable source, "Unforseen circumstances befall us all." I do think wih each person we meet there is a lesson in it for us, good or bad.

6. Globetrekkermel profile image65
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

I believe so.As I have read many times "THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS IN THE UNIVERSE". I agree with you , they are blessings and life's lesson.We have as much to learn from each other and I will not try to treat them otherwise but only with Love. Whether that person is unpleasant , I try not to look at the bad and I try to understand .If that person is nice and good to me, I consider that a plus.Anyhow, I can try to love that person whether they have been pleasant or unpleasant. It is a lot easier to turn hate into Love than to just continue remaining hateful.

7. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes. I believe in destiny of fate. I also believe it can be changed using Feng Shui concept.

8. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

To a certain extent I believe there are key people that cross our paths who have a profound impact on some of the choices and decisions we make in our lives. Maybe you meet someone at a social function that refers you to a company which launches your career or you "casually" mention a repair you need done on your home and a person tells you they know of someone that does great work...etc
    However it is important to remember that we (choose) our own friends, lovers, and spouse. Sometimes we opt to "go with the flow" or enter into relationships based upon happenstance. Whether it turns out be a good or bad experience we must remember we either invited or accepted them into our lives. Both people have to say, "yes" in order for things to move forward. It's almost like going to the store to purchase an apple and when you bite into it later you see it is spoiled. You can tell yourself "It was destiny. I was meant to have this bad apple." or "I need to learn how to be a better shopper."
    But then again lets say the apple makes you very sick and you end up going to the emergency room of a hospital where you meet a doctor or nurse who you eventually end up marrying...etc
    Inevitably one thing does lead to another. Every decision leads to another decision. When we think about how we met our significant other or spouse we might remember we almost did not go to that party, store, meeting, nightclub, take that route home, or join that dating site…etc We wonder, was it meant to be? hmmmm

9. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

I do completely believe that everyone I met so far in my life was destined to be there in the particular time. I prefer to take it as a blessing whatever is the outcome as I trust that there is a reason which is being wished by God.
    Thanks.

10. shampa sadhya profile image76
    shampa sadhyaposted 11 years ago

Definitely, yes! Every meeting has its own impact in a person's life. It can be good or bad, that's a different issue. The important point is that a person learns a lesson from every man he/she meets in life. Even bad experience helps to be cautious in the future and good is always motivating. I invariably consider it to be destined. Through this cycle of meeting various people in life God imparts a valuable lesson which helps us to understand our life better and accordingly we can further bring in positive changes in our lives.

1. ishwaryaa22 profile image81
      ishwaryaa22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very wise answer! I completely agree with you. Well-said!

2. shampa sadhya profile image76
      shampa sadhyaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, ishwaryaa22

11. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

destined to be met, YES. A part of my life not so sure about. I meet (hear) panhandlers outside the store. Get tailgated & cursed out through the window for not driving 55 in a 35 by stressed out drivers. OK, on a serious note, there are people I am glad I have met.
    With the advent of social media I thought reconnecting with them after a decade would go well but it has not.

12. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

For the most part if one has their eye's open there is definitely a lesson or blessing there. Sometimes there are literally chance encounters that truly serve neither purpose. For example, an acquaintance of mine was taking a group walk thinking he was safe and shot to death by a complete stranger. Everyone said he turned his back to walk or run away but was still shot to death. There is no blessing or life lesson for the victim. Only if survivors can see through their grief to find a lesson or blessing they might be able to say don't walk even with a group of people in a well traveled area. Sorry to be Debbie downer but this is the reason that I now do not believe that every single person I meet is destined to be in my life for a life lesson or blessing.

13. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

No, of course not, life is full of chances and brief encounters and it often depends on particular circumstance, time or place you are in, how much the particular person influences your life. There are people I meet every day, but we never cross each other path, there are people I met only once, but we have been in the right place and time to influence our lives forever...then there are people I never really met but through the magical internet they made impression on me because on that particular moment I pressed the key to their 'inner digital world'.....and under circumstances I was at the time their words were the right ones I needed to hear....

14. Trish89 profile image58
    Trish89posted 11 years ago

Yes I sure do,  I like to think everything happens for a reason, good or bad leading me to bigger and better things.

15. Monay Love profile image61
    Monay Loveposted 11 years ago

Yes! Nothing is a "coincidence". You meet people for a reason. Every person teaches you something different. Everyone you know you are supposed to know.

16. actionbronson profile image59
    actionbronsonposted 11 years ago

I don't think everything happens for a reason but I do believe we run into people for a reason most of the time. Sometimes to teach us a lesson or appreciate a quality another person possesses maybe.

17. ReneeDC1979 profile image59
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

I struggle with this question at times.  Sometimes I think so because I learn alot from each experience with people.  But, other times I think it was a waste meeting some people I have come in contact with.

18. profile image0
    erickcbposted 11 years ago

I think people who subscribe to the notion that destiny exists are fatalists at heart. I am not a fatalist and think that believing in destiny is merely a way to put one's own actions, choices, and chance to a 'rational' singularity. Rationality/destiny takes the importance and wonders of the human journey away if you really think about it... if everything is pre-selected for you.. someone/something is actively trying to get you to follow a certain path...to prove what exactly? You are a good learner? Follower? Where is the freedom in all this? Failure to meet the expectations means you are a failure to your destiny.. A destiny something/someone else chose for you... Shucks.

19. viveresperando profile image65
    viveresperandoposted 11 years ago

I believe sometimes a cookie is just a cookie.

20. elenagarcia profile image66
    elenagarciaposted 11 years ago

i have never been a believer in coincidence.  people enter our lives for a purpose.  you have to give people a chance because that is how you grow as a person, by experiencing things.  now, that is not to say that you should not look before you leap.  you have to determine if the purpose the person entering your life hopes to fulfill is or is not for the betterment of you.  the choice is always yours to make.  what's meant to be will be unless you step in and change the course of things.  you must be careful and take time to comtemplate who is in your life.

21. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

Yes I do. I tried to write a hub about it.
    For good or bad all these people shaped me. Made me better.
    Made me think.
    Even those who are dead, they still shape who I am.
    Many people I met helped me through difficult times
    and the bad ones made me stronger except for one.
    But I'm glad those i have met were part shaping the person I am today.

22. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 11 years ago

Funny you ask that question, I was just talking about this to someone on here not long ago.

yes I believe God puts certain people in our life for a reason.

Sometimes they come into your life, and answer questions you never really knew you had, like messages coming to you, signs, they may not even stick around but when they do leave, something wonderful has happened. These are Gods Angels.

The others that stay in your life, have a reason also. They may be the ones God knows can be of help or you can help them along their path.

This is happening to me now. I believe every single person I have met on here, was guided to me by God. I know the reason for it, he has guided me to the message several ways.

Sometimes God puts evil doers in our lives, God sends them strong delusions, to see whether they believe the lie or the truth. He does this so (as Jesus says) he knows who to condemn.  These evil doers are life lessons that God wants us to learn and guides us to the next path of his abundance and power.

They may learn from you and move on or choose the evil way, nonetheless God watches all and they will fall.

23. sealeddreams profile image60
    sealeddreamsposted 11 years ago

Yes I have always believed this,I think everyone comes in our life to teach us something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)