With Hub Pages - do you set one big in the distance goal or small intermittent g

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image60
    ElleBeeposted 11 years ago

With Hub Pages - do you set one big in the distance goal or small intermittent goals?

I am wondering on Hub Pages do most people set big long-term goals like getting to the point of earning $1,000 a month, or to most people set small along the way goals.  So basically which do you do andn what are your goals on Hub Pages.

2. sassytuts profile image59
    sassytutsposted 11 years ago

My basic goal is to create small intermittent goals . And I wish to progress little by little. This seems to me good as people will get along you well . Then revenue will come in automatically with good content and understanding of other hubs.

1. profile image60
      ElleBeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense.

3. Novel Treasure profile image90
    Novel Treasureposted 11 years ago

I do both..I have a larger one big goal of eventually making 1/3 of my income with my online writing.

Then I set smaller goals to help motivate me as I get closer and closer to my goal. For example, first one was just to get my 1st payout, then it was to get a monthly payout, I'm currently working on making more each month in my payouts. Even if it's just a $1 more, I'm trying to keep my earnings increasing. I've been successful so far for the last 6 months.

I also set smaller non-monetary goals like writing a certain # of quality hubs a month, and trying to increase my views per day each month.

I think these little goals are critical in reaching the big goal. If I didn't give myself these small victories I don't think I would keep going to the larger goal.

1. profile image60

I agree with you that small goals and celebrating small victories can definitely help us enroute to the big goals!

4. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
    Highvoltagewriterposted 11 years ago

Over time my goals for HP has changed.....I use to look at it as a way to make money, but now it is just a small part of my "writing effort". I still write on HP and yet, it is just one small avenue that I use to help accomplish my larger goals.

1. profile image60

That is awesome, I'm happy to see HP work as a "gateway" to more writing for many people.

5. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

I have no such goals coz I am still not earning. So my only goal presently is to get approved. After that I would prefer to go with small intermittent goals.

1. profile image60

Okay getting approval is definitely a good first goal.

6. HoneyBB profile image92
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

My goal is to publish 15 hubs a month. Although I have come close, I have already failed at that goal. I need something to excite me into writing one. My goal is to look more intently to find things that make me want to write about them. Most of my goals are short-term but I do want to be earning a good wage from this someday.

1. profile image60

Sounds great! I guess you'll have to make 15 hubs next month's goal also.  Sounds like a good one even if you didn't achieve it yet smile

7. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

As in life the best thing is to have a big goal then set smaller goals that take you towards the big goal.

This stops you getting overwhelmed and means you can change the big goal more easily.

HP goals:

1) make HP provide 1/N of my total writing income where N is the  number of income generating sites where I write.

2) Make  what I  write make a difference. ( actually not just on HP)

1. profile image60

Those are great goals! I love the 2nd goal particularly.

8. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 11 years ago

Everything I'm doing now I hope will pay off in the long run. If I thought about short-term goals, I'd be pretty sad with myself since I don't get tons of traffic. I'm hoping it'll all pay off after a few years or so!

1. Highvoltagewriter profile image67
      Highvoltagewriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes some time and the main thing is to write a lot of hubs on the subjects people are searching for...Other forms of blogging are more effective for making money!

2. profile image60

Good idea nornsmercy, it can definitely get frustrating if we don't look at the big picture.

9. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

Mine is both, so far, but I've only been here for eight months. My first goal was to have ten Hubs, then twenty. Then I wanted $1 a day, then $2. I wanted to reach payout, then I wanted to make $50 in a single month. My goal right now is to get to 100,000 views. I'm working on it. smile

1. profile image60

Wow! Those are some great goals nad you're achieving them quickly.  My current goal is to make $2 a month! I guess I'd better get moving.

10. Cardia profile image73
    Cardiaposted 11 years ago

I do a bit of both. I do have some long term goals that I'm working to right now, and I've put a few short term ones in front of those (if that makes sense)
    For example, I'm trying to get to the 100,000 view milestone (no idea when that will be!) but as a small goal, I try to get a couple thousand views a month.
    The small goals are along the road to the bigger goals smile

1. profile image60

That makes perfect sense to me, we definitely need a combo of large and small goals.

11. rfmoran profile image72
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

Always start with a large goal, but recognize that you will never get there unless you set intermediate goals or waypoints. A big goal without intermediate ones is just too, well, big.

1. profile image60

Very true.  Sounds like the SMART goals they taught us about in school smile

12. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I set a big goal for the year and smaller ones for each month. Because traffic varies so much in different months, I just set a goal of how many hubs I will write that month. The year end goal is a monetary goal of how much money I want to earn per month by the end of the year.

This has worked well for me so far. I've reached my money goal every year. Since some hubs loose the featured status, I am not reaching the goal of how many hubs I'd like to have though. I've been moving those hubs to my website. Those that don't fit with my website, I edit though.

1. profile image60

That makes sense - the mix of big and small goals has been my approach as well. I've just been editing my hubs that become unfeatured and making changes that get them featured again, but maybe I should consider removing them.

13. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

A long term goal. For example, my goal for the last six months was to reach 100 hubs. I reached that goal and would only create goals that can be achieved with distance. My life is too busy for me to get a hobby done on time. An exam could come up, an appointment arise out of nowhere, etc.

1. profile image60

Okay that makes sense too me, sometimes short term goals can be harder when we're super busy than longer term goals.

14. Gina145 profile image69
    Gina145posted 11 years ago

As a relative newcomer my first goal is to work out what I can write about that will attract a decent number of readers.  Then I can set myself a target of how often I want to publish a new Hub.
    And reaching my first payout would be nice, but that will take hard work on my part.

1. profile image60

That makes sense.  Yep the first payout is definitely hardwork, but it is achievable I am told! (Haven't gotten there yet myself either).

15. Ronna Pennington profile image80
    Ronna Penningtonposted 11 years ago

I'm kind of learning my way around HubPages, but it seems like interacting is also a big part of it, not just writing Hubs. So, I've set goals for myself to answer questions daily, write comments daily, Hub hop daily, then write toward a monthly total of Hubs.  I'm seeing income faster than I thought, but it's not anywhere near full time (or part time for that matter) income yet.

1. profile image60

Yes, I also make the goal of interacting with the community.  Interestingly I had less computer access this month and so I spent less time online and on HP but my earnings are still above my average. Strange how it works sometimes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)