Would you torture one of your children or loved ones forever?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (54 posts)
  1. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

Would you torture one of your children or loved ones forever?

Eph 4:6One God and Father of all,
    who is above all, and through
    all, and in you all.

2. JMcFarland profile image70
    JMcFarlandposted 11 years ago

absolutely not.  I cannot conceive of an eternal punishment for any finite crime.  The entire basis of it is immoral and contradictory.  If one of my children truly deserved to be punished for an action or behavior, that punishment would be finite - like their behavior was.  An eternal punishment is contradictory to the idea of love, mercy and forgiveness. 

In the case of god, I would say, the standards are even higher.  If he claims (as he does) that he wants everybody in the world to follow him, but will send to hell the 2/3 of people that have not throughout history and today in the present, he's exacting eternal damnation for the finite actions of a single lifetime.  The idea of a god who is perfectly just is irreconcilable with the idea that he is perfectly merciful.  Justice is getting what you deserve, while mercy is the suspension of justice.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

JM.. If we are to live by the Old Testament why are we not still sacrificing animals for redemption, why is divorce frowned upon, do you have an alter in your backyard for the sacrificing of animals.

2. JMcFarland profile image70
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Divorce is frowned upon?  Then why do Christians have the highest divorce rate in the country?  Malachi 3:6 - god doesn't change.  If his laws were moral in the OT, they're still moral now.  That IS your book, right?  Again.  Atheist.  No sacrifice.

3. profile image0

The only grounds for divorce are adultery in which too many people choose to do so. Christians, atheists, etc. In the Old Testament you could divorce for no reason. I thought you would probably know that?

4. JMcFarland profile image70

I do know that actually.  You think that all christian divorces are because of adultery?  Nice try.  Divorce rates are the highest among baptists - and the lowest among atheists and other religions aside from christianity - in this country, at least.

5. profile image0

NO, I said the New Testament says the only grounds for divorce is adultery. I didn't say that's why everyone divorces. People from all walks of life divorce for many reasons. You just want to argue for the sake of arguing don't you?

6. JMcFarland profile image70

You just like to make silly assumptions, don't you?

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

SOM...... Respectfully, you need to stop quoting from the old law. We are now living under the new covenant since the sacrifice of Jesus.

1. JMcFarland profile image70

this is a part of the "new covenant" as well - all though the "new covenant" is a christian invention - and not one that is biblically based.

2. profile image0

It is biblicaly based. Jesus Christ talks about this in the New Testament

3. JMcFarland profile image70

oh yeah?  Where is that?  Jesus says that calling on him is not enough.  Prophesying in his name and doing miracles and believing in him is insufficient - unless you do the "will of his father in heaven"  If god created the OT and god does not change

4. profile image0

Mark 14:24
      And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
      21. 21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had

5. JMcFarland profile image70

and where in that verse does it say the Old Law is out and irrelevant - or is that just your personal extrapolation?

6. profile image0

It claims the new testament as well as universal salvation being false.

7. JMcFarland profile image70

It claims the new testament is false?  Good - did all the work for me.

8. profile image0

No, not what I said. It claims the new testament is true and universal salvation is false. I suggest you do your homework and read the new testament. Apparently, you have no knowledge of it whatsoever.

9. JMcFarland profile image70

my professors that gave me my degree in theology at Biola would kind of disagree with you, especially since I read it in three different languages.  Don't make stupid assumptions.  It backfires.

10. profile image0

I would have to question this, especially if you do not believe the New Testament is the new covenant? Unless you are Jewish and live by the old law?

11. JMcFarland profile image70

Actually, my time studying the NT and the bible as a whole turned me into an atheist.  I don't believe in any of it anymore.  Doesn't mean that I don't study it though.  The idea of a New Covenant came much MUCH later to avoid conversions to Judaism.

12. profile image0

Luke 22:20
      And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood
      Hebrews 9:15

Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised e

13. JMcFarland profile image70

the tradition of the last supper (or the lord's supper, according to Paul) does not at any time state that the OT law is not to be followed.  Matthew 7:21

14. profile image0

It's right there for you to read. But, you are an atheist, you don't believe any of it so why debate it?

15. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not obligated to take direction from you J, especialy when it is my question. If you dont like my questions then stop answering them. You are a spiritual terrorist promoting the most destructive image of my Father.

16. JMcFarland profile image70

do you have to believe in something to enjoy discussing it?  That's silly.  Is your view of the world really that closed-minded and narcissistic? According to the bible, god doesn't change.  Why, then, do you assume his laws do?

17. profile image0

Just interjecting my opinions as you so often do on my questions. Why do you say this? Because i don't agree with you? I know my personal relationship with Jesus and God the father and am quite comfortable with it. smile

18. SwordofManticorE profile image69

Interjecting an opinion is one thing, but telling me to do something or stop speaking about the nature of my Father is another. I see you and your friend CJ battleing me, but I come prepared. I have my Father with me.

19. JMcFarland profile image70

fortunately for the rest of us, J, being comfortable with something does not automatically mean that you are correct.

20. profile image0

JM... You just explained yourself and SOM. God Bless!!

21. JMcFarland profile image70

oh!  Was that meant to be an insult?  How christ-like you are.  Yes, it applies to everyone - even you.  Nice try.  Takes more than that to get to me.  What gives you the ultimate authority to decide what's true and what's not.  Are you god?

22. profile image0

NO, no insult at all. I am only human as we all are.

23. SwordofManticorE profile image69

@J, instead of posting your opinion, just answer the question. If you have children, would you torture them for ever for the same reasons God will?

24. profile image0

I am not God. That is not my decision to make. I would hope all of my loved one's will be saved and spend eternity in Heaven. Everyone on the face of the earth for that matter. This is why we are to spread the good word.

25. SwordofManticorE profile image69

like always you cower and hide behind the image of God you believe in. I find your like the most selfish of all people. You believe in hell, yet you have children. You gamble their destiny so that you can have them. Purely selfish.

26. profile image0

Unfortunately, I do not have children SOM.

27. SwordofManticorE profile image69

Think about what I just posted if you believe in hell and decide to have children.

28. JMcFarland profile image70

you want everyone in the world to be saved, and you think that the best method to bring that about is to ridicule them, insult them and rush to judgement of people that don't agree with you.  Sounds like a good plan.  How is that working out for you?

29. profile image0

Working out great JM. smile

30. SwordofManticorE profile image69

@J, Your spiritual cancer does not work.

31. profile image0

Thank you SOM. God bless you.

32. SwordofManticorE profile image69

Ah, the typical way a christian blesses his enemy

33. profile image0

SOM. We are enemies?

34. SwordofManticorE profile image69

That is how I see how you see me.

35. profile image0

No, we are both children of God, no matter our difference in beliefs.

36. JMcFarland profile image70

So Christ commands you to insult and ridicule those who think differently?  You seem to be little more than a closed minded egomaniac.  This is why I enjoy contradicting you.  I don't respect those who have so little respect for others

37. SwordofManticorE profile image69

I agree, but that also includes the reat of all mankind Eph 4:6

4. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I would rather die than purposefully harm them.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You WILL be a wonderful mommy.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile You have no idea how that comment assures and comforts me.

5. liftandsoar profile image60
    liftandsoarposted 11 years ago

Loaded question, not worthy of a serious answer.

The question is worthy enough for a mother to answer, but the cold hearted pastor like attitude uses any form of an excuse not to.

6. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

Let me turn your question around.  Would you torture one of your children forever?  What on earth made you think of this question to ask.  Geez Do you torture little animals too?

I was compairing your love for your children with the belief that God would all His children to be torture forevever. The question was to point bout the stupidity of that belief by compairson.

7. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

This is my answer to my question. I would never think of harming my child, as my four year old son is a blessing and a sweety. But even if he turned out to be a rebel towards his mother and myself, we would never abandon him as his our son and we will always love him. This is why I know that God would not do so to any of His children. But I will say this. If hell is real and my little son ends up spending an eternity there alone, I would rather be with my son than with a demanding tyrant of a deity. At least my son will not be alone. This is love.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)