Will you and I burn for enternity in hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

I find it hard to believe that God will punish a sinner for eternity. Say, burn him sans the possibility of escape for eternity.

God is love.

I am an ardent believer in Christ and that belief has made me realize that though  there would be some retribution and discipline, eternal mortification letting the soul die but keeping the body alive without a hope for reparation just is not possible with God.
    Most Christians would find this unpalatable. I don't know............

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is why He offers us the liberty of constant personal improvement - even when our body is in the ground.  However, there is a winding up scene.  The final battle, after the millenium, will be the point of decision.  Who among the children of man will stand with Michael and the hosts of God, and who among the children of man will "knowingly" opt for the side of Satan.  I say knowingly because at that point in the winding up scenes of the millenium all will have been taught the eternal truths of God.  Those who altogether turn away from God will, by personal choice, endure eternal outer darkness.  That is not God's punishment.  That's a choice.  Eternal punishment is not physical fires, growing horns and walking around with tails and pitchforks.  Eternal punishment is that personal knowledge that you have chosen not to partake of eternal progression of expanding knowledge, hope and joy.  It is the personal lake of fire and brimstone.

1. profile image0
        White Horseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm already in the lake of fire.  And subject to get in the line of fire too!

2. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a sort of awakening. Thanks

3. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I wear a black and white striped shirt, can I be the referee? smile

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know, I don't buy any of that really, but I have to tell you, of all the Christians who post regularly on HP, you always come off sounding like the one who probably actually pays attention to what is in the book.  I appreciate your take on things, and you are always hopeful and respectful.  I bet if more Christians were like you, there'd be a lot more Christians.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The popular christian concept of hell is false, for they repeat thins they do not understand. thus they used right knowledge wrongfully.

You see the knowledge of hell was given to those who belong to life not to condemn them but for their eternal benefit.

And by that same knowledge, the others(those of hell) will rightfully heap comdemnation upon themselves.

When it is said that hell is burning forever, that is true, for that is the nature of hell itself that cannot ever change.

In this life we have an opportunity to see Life and to see death.

Hell and death are synonymous.

Death and hell already resides within us. It is present in the mindset of all of us.

But it s also true that Life and heaven is also within Us.

So to escape hell is to turn away from the hellish mindset and turn towards the heavenly mindset.

Bur in reality not all are able to do such.
      For those who belong to hell can only rerun to their place.
      And to fulfill their destiny they must do the works which would give the right to inherit that which is their own.

Since Hell will always exist and it nature unchangeable, it will be used for the benefit of Heaven.

So we see that the burning , the fires, the wailing , weeping, and all the evil that makes up hell, will be used to perpetuate Life itself.

Now how then it is possible?

The answers are the inheritance of the children of God, children of Heaven.
      And to them Hell will never nor can ever exist.

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that for this particular subject the words eternal, and everlasting need to be closely evaluated especially if we are to believe that the words of Isaiah will be fufilled, "Every knee will bend and every tongue will swear" How could this be possible if many people will be tortured in Hell forever?

One of the statements that is made in John 5:29 is that the rightous and the wicked will be resurected. since this is possible there are two different states which the wicked will be in, one before the resurection and one after. But since the name of God is eternal and endless, then it is safe to say that it would be God's punishment, and can refer to the nature of the punishment rather than the duration. That is if we are to believe that the atonement of Jesus Christ encompasses all.
      I prefer to interpert the eternal state of man as a consignment which leaves us in a state which we are comfortable with, weather we make the choice to be with God or not. Though in truth being with God would be an ultimate state of happiness, and without him it would be darkness and misery.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know many sinners, plus many Christians, struggle with this question.

However, I will ask this----

If you don't believe God when He mentions eternal punishment, how can you then believe Him when He mentions eternal Life?
      I think we either trust Him and take Him at His word, or we believe a lie and be damned.  (Mark 16: 16).

2. profile image0
    White Horseposted 13 years ago

I don't think God is a torturer like dickie cheney.  This is for the ones that are out.  From chap. 18 of rev.  AND THEY CAST DUST ON THEIR HEADS

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poor Dickie.... staggering
      lol

3. hanging out profile image60
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

This is why He offers us the liberty of constant personal improvement - even when our body is in the ground.

not biblical. After death the judgment. 
    Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment"

4. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

So me and God were hanging out the other night, (Sorry Hanging Out) we were in the bar playing pool. He was winning of course, so I said "Do you know what they're saying about you?"
    He says "They're always saying something, what now?"
    I said "They say that somewhere, out in the cosmos, is this huge concentration camp where most of us human's are going. Coz apparently it's a tough time to get to easy street and an easy time to get to tough street. When we're there we're gonna be tortured by fire and suffer like Hell and, unlike the Reich that was only supposed to last a thousand years, your concentration camp is there forever. You are the Camp Commandant and your angels are the guards."
    "Why do they think I would do that?" said God
    "They say it's because you love us" I answered.
    That was enough to make him scratch on the eight ball and I won.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

2. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. hanging out profile image60
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sneaky lol

5. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

If one believes in the Creator-God Allah YHWH and thanks him for bestowing life to one; why should one burn for enternity in hell?

[4:148] Why should Allah punish you, if you are thankful and if you believe? And Allah is Appreciating, All-Knowing.
    http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=147

No need to burn in hell

Thanks

6. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Just to be on the safe side, I have decided to believe that the bible is NOT the truth. Hence, no fear of going to hell, and no reason to ponder such irrelevant questions.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One's decision does not change the facts. Does it change, really?

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, then, here are the facts:  The bible is not based on truth.
        That is likewise for the Q'uran, and any other religious books.  They are books of myths, NOT TRUTHS.

Hence, my decision is based on fact, and common sense.

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please don't get me wrong; I never said that other books are false; but since these are not in the original language and the original text; hence one cannot get Truth for clear from them. Quran was revealed to restate the facts truthfully. Quran preserves the original lasting teachings of other books in it and refines them. This way other books have been afforded a respect.

Please get yourself corrected

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'd be interested in an explanation as to how, exactly, one burns for eternity in Hell. 

There's our physical body (and we all know how something like cremation works).  Then there may or may not be soul that does or does not have some other life after we die.  (I'm just leaving room for all the different beliefs here, because, obviously, not all schools of religious thought can be correct.  Someone may be right.  Some have to be wrong.)

Anyway, so with the soul...    I can see how there could be some form of non-physical pain experienced by a soul (even eternally); but souls don't have the nerve endings (which experience pain) that physical bodies do (so, to me, if there's any eternal pain and suffering, it can't possibly be "burning in Hell").  I won't be around this thread to see it, but seeing these "issues" addressed might be interesting.

8. puresilence profile image61
    puresilenceposted 13 years ago

If you are waiting for heaven , you cannot escape hell as well because they are two sides of same coin. In case discard everything about heaven, hell too go away. It is based on what you believe however remember what is good can be bad at other time as change is permanent. Hence simply give away all expectations of love and hate, they will leave you too and keep you in bliss with no attachment and aversion.

9. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

Easy solution for you.
    Rip the pages out that mention anything about hell, burning, judgment, punishment, death etc.
    It's easy!! Won't be the first time it's been done.
    Will that suffice to remedy the concept in your mind?

10. DarkDisOrder profile image61
    DarkDisOrderposted 13 years ago

Me, probably, hahahaha, seriously who would really know that, unless you strayed off a path of a normal life, doing evil deeds, such as stealing, killing, decieving, hurting people and causing destruction, you'll find out when you pass on and be judged, for how you lived your life...

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Two problems with you comment.

1) Who sets the standard? You? or God? So straying from the "path" is determined by the standard, not the one straying.

2)If you have to wait till you get there, it will be too late! If you "strayed" you cannot undo it.

Food for thought. hmm

1. DarkDisOrder profile image61
        DarkDisOrderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My food for thought...

One, i would have to say God is the judge is the sentencing of one's soul in the after life and two, if you astrayed from the path and of course you are aware you strayed, then you've chosen that path, but their are always choices, you can reform to have a clean slate.

2. profile image55
        Janis4808posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This quandr;y was poseed to the Catholic church at one time, hence the concept of Purgatory came into being. A second chance to correct ones ways, a halfway point if you will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)