What things would you consider when adopting a dog?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image85
    midget38posted 11 years ago

What things would you consider when adopting a dog?

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Size, activity level, breed, age, and past breeding if that information is available.

3. jandee profile image79
    jandeeposted 11 years ago

Make sure it is trained to return and that it is okay with CHILDREN and other dogs.

1. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All dogs are trainable and you can train it to sit, stay and come with love and patience.  At any new home a dog will be excited and sniffing around a lot and may potty on the floor to mark it's territory.  After a few days it will calm down

2. jandee profile image79
      jandeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra I agree ,on the other hand  there are certain dogs with a ;Stubborn'streak . I know this only to well as I have such a creature. Had dogs all my life. Sometimes Sarra  something breaks the mold and that is my dog.  Sorry no space for more.

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Age, don't want a puppy. Is he bubbly or calm? How does he react to loud noises and children? What kind of dog? I only like certain breeds. Is he easily trainable? Who would he be devoted to, my husband or me? Would he be comfortable in our house? How much would the cost be if he was a dachshund with back problems, a short dog vs. a big dogs eating habbits, etc.

1. profile image0

All dogs are trainable.  It takes time, love and patience.  Does it matter who the dog is devoted to? Really?  Basically it is the one who feeds it and takes the most time with the dog.  If you fall in love with a dog the rest doesn't matter

2. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it does. Who is the dog a companion for? Normally, one person desires the dog more than the other and the animal should be loyal to that person. Eventually, the dog grows on the other individual and they both consider the dog family.

3. profile image0

By everyone in the  household not agreeing to have a pet, usually the pet goes back to the shelter.  It is very important that everyone involved wants the pet not just one person.

4. lburmaster profile image72
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Anyone can agree, but they are never as 100% about the situation as the main person who wanted the dog. After a few months, you typically win over everyone in the family. You need at least two people to agree in a family for there to be a pet.

5. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

The first and most important thing to consider is are you ready for a life long companion.  I am very much pro adoption, especially older dogs, and if you are not ready to keep this dog until the day it passes then don't get one.  Pick the dog that fits your lifestyle: are you a jogger or a couch potato.  You will have to get out during all kinds of weather to take your dog for a walk so it potties outside so you need to consider that, unless of course you have a back yard.  Make sure you are allowed to have a dog where you live, especially if you are in an apartment.  Do you have little children or older children?  Where is the dog going to stay while you are away from home?  Please, Please don't stick it on a chain in the back yard and forget about it. 

You need to take time with your dog every day.  Walking, grooming, bathing, clipping nails, playing and teaching.  Dogs are absolute wonderful companions and will be your best friend forever.  Best of luck.  I know you will find your new best friend.  Remember that older dogs generally don't need to be potty trained.

6. Amy Becherer profile image66
    Amy Bechererposted 11 years ago

I just adopted a female Scottish Terrier from a local vet who rescued her from a Potosi, Missouri puppy mill.  I lost my beloved Scottie, MacGregor, July of 2012 to bladder cancer, and I miss him with all my heart.  The first thing I considered is what I know about my own situation regarding finances, time and the fact that I live in an apartment.  I help my mother weekly due to the dementia she now struggles with, though she is well enough to continue living independently in her home.  I do all the driving for her and help her with tasks such as grocery shopping, doctor visits, Rx refills and the laundromat.  However, we schedule these tasks. 

I went to the vet's office twice to visit with the 4 year old rescue.  She had dermatitis from a flea infestation that the vet treated.  She had some missing patches of fur due to scratching from the fleas.  Her hair was already beginning to grow in.  I knew that she had come from abysmal living conditions all four years of her life, but I spent time with her to find her amazingly social, friendly and non-aggressive.  She is lively, sparkly eyed and exuberant, which is much better than I would be under the circumstances!  She has been treated and cured of fleas, and will require one more treatment for 'every parasite known to man'.  The vet treated her with Panacur and I will begin another this week.  I am also treating her ears per the vet, as they itch from the poor living conditions, as well. 

There is never a 'perfect' time to take on another responsibility, but when the need is now and it is feasible, there is no better time. 

Since I am familiar with the Scottish Terrier breed and love Scotties, I am aware of the health issues pertinent to the breed.  There are no guarantees, however, when we have a child, give an animal a home or make any changes in our lives.  One can only go with what they know and do their best.  There will always be events in every life that are unplanned.  With adopting a dog, it is important that the caregiver can afford to give the dog the necessities, time, attention and love to make the experience mutually rewarding.

1. jandee profile image79
      jandeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good on you Amy.

2. Amy Becherer profile image66
      Amy Bechererposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Jandee...My McCartney is a beaut!  I can't believe how adaptive she is, how loving she is when her whole life was so lacking.  It makes me cry to think of it.

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

Things to consider when adopting a dog.
    1. Is everyone in the household agreeable to the plan?
    2. Is someone going to assume the alpha roll and be responsible  for the dog so the dog is not in charge of the family?
    3. Can you afford a dog? Vet bills are expensive. Quality dog and cat food is expensive. The animal may get sick or be injured and require an outlay of several hundred dollars or more to save its life. Are you willing to make that sacrifice?
    4. Do you live in an animal friendly area--will the neighbors object.
    5. If adopting a dog have you researched the breed to know how it is going to act, the upkeep it will need, etc.
    6. Are you ready to have a new best friend, or will the pet just be a nuisance that you will soon grow tire of? Animals need attentions. I am a dog-person, not crazy about cats. I have three beagles, and they expect me to spend time with them each day. They are among my best frineds. Two of them will probaby die before I do. I will mour their deaths. They are a part of the family.

8. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

What most people don't consider (I didn't see it in the comments either) is the amount of sheer WORK required to take your dog, young or old, from acceptable to exceptional.  We're talking several months to years to get real training done.

I wanted a water dog to be a companion for me at the duck club.  But my black Lab hates the water.  I wasn't going to send the dog back as "defective" but I assigned him a new role he is excellent at: guard dog for the house.

He is highly trained on all commands and even in field work to a small degree, though I don't use him that way.  He is very much loved by the children but most loyal to me.  I am his alpha and I think that's important to take note of.  Who will be your dog's alpha?  There can only be ONE alpha in the home.  The dog shows the most respect the leader of the family "pack."

So, consider the work you will put in (years, in my case) to get the training done, the time commitment to the dog, and the type of experience you want and how you will handle the situation if the experience you desired doesn't end up being your reality.  Even though he is now old for his breed, he is still learning new things.  Two years ago, he learned to open door handles (I didn't even teach him).  Last year, he learned not to eat small dogs, Lol... now, he plays with them... Dogs are very intelligent and will continue learning all their lives.

9. twig22bend profile image71
    twig22bendposted 11 years ago

Personality, meaning what is the characteristics of that breed of dog. it is best to do some research on different. breeds. Some dogs are stubborn and some docile. Some dogs need lots of running space and so on.

Whether a dog is child friendly is also important. Do you have the patience to train a dog? Will you walk your dog two or three times a day? Short or long hair, they do shed.

Dogs require maintenance for their well  being and can be expensive to keep them fit and healthy. Having a very large dog cramped up with little space is not good for the pet. Some dogs have a tendency to have certain ailments.

Upon finding my pup on my doorstep 10 years ago, a black Lab and she is still with me, I knew none of this.

10. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

I usually end up going with my gut. I don't have to go looking for them, they find me, and then I just can't say no... Except now, enough is enough!

11. bucker98 profile image60
    bucker98posted 11 years ago

The first thing I'm going to ask myself would be "am I ready to adopt a dog?" The thing that matters the most is not the dog's breed, temperament, or age. It is whether you will be responsible enough to take a dog as a living being, to know and and give them what they really need as a species and not take them as a stuff toy. Many dog owners make that mistake, thinking that it's good for their dogs. But in reality, their are just irritating them and sometimes causing them to become the monsters they never wanted to be.

Give a dog a family, a pack. It's all that they need.

12. Ruby H Rose profile image60
    Ruby H Roseposted 11 years ago

A dogs attitude is important.  We looked for one that was happy and seemed to want to be with us.  Read up on the type of dog that is best for your situation.  There is some great information on television about how to pick the right breed for your family.
    Usually, adoptable ones are a mixed breed.  Knowing ahead of time which kind would work best for your home helps.  We didn't want a very large one, since it would be indoors most of the time.  We don't like barkers or biters, so that was important too. 
    Shorter hair was a priority, being a house dog.  And being house broken.  Some prior training would be nice, and neutered we wanted too.
    We got lucky and were given a wonderful mixture of love and affection.  He is very smart and very loyal to me, his alpha.  Very gentle with children, doesn't bark except when someone comes in the yard.  Loves to play and knows and learns new tricks quite easily.  I am grateful to his previous owners for such care.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)