Do You Believe The N.R.A. Should Have Any Voice In America?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

Do You Believe The N.R.A. Should Have Any Voice In America?

I've been watching the actions of the NRA which I once belonged to and supported and you know what. I'm not sure they should have any say in America and the politics of gun control. As a retired US Naval Officer and Native American I once supported them but I no longer can. I fear how many more school shootings we will see before school goes out. Maybe its time that we radically changed the gun laws in the USA. We must protect our children. I saw a ambulance headed toward an area Elementary School today and it scared the hell out of me. I would give up my guns to protect the youth of America.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7642639_f260.jpg

2. Superkev profile image61
    Superkevposted 11 years ago

I don't know how much say they have exactly. They represent millions of people who believe in the 2nd amendment and they lobby based on their constituents wishes. Like tons of other groups.

They have the right to lobby and state their opinion as much as the anti-gunners do. Congress can listen or not. But to say they should not be allowed to make their case as fervently as the other side strikes me as being out of tune with the 1st amendment.

crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how much the Gun Lobby though is about big money and how much is about the constitution. I'm not sure that all lobbyists shouldn't be outlawed. Why are they necessary. Any lobbyist. Not just gun lobbyists. Maybe we should throw them all out.

2. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

crazy:
      I have to agree with you. I wrote a hub on kicking them all out of washington, they certainly do not represent "the people" and their ability to bribe politicians has gone too far.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

The NRA should have a voice and should be allowed to speak up just as any association in a democratic country should be allowed. You can't deny anyone the right to voice an opinion.
    However as you point out they do seem to have more political clout, a disproportionate amount, and this is due to the power of the dollar, and congressmen fearful of their status. The pro gun lobby is very powerful and has some celebrity behind it which also helps to maintain its image as a positive force for American values.
    Sandy Hook however seems to be the final straw. The US must reform its gun laws and I hope Obama succeeds (where other presidents have failed) because how can you not do anything after 20 children are slaughtered?
    As a Brit it's very hard for me to relate to the power of the gun in your country but when I see and hear the NRA spokesman I shudder! I don't want to relate at all. He wants teachers to be carrying guns inside school? Am I correct? If so then that's the straight road to madness. Perhaps they need a new spokesperson.
    With over 300 million guns, a zealous pro-gun mentality, the NRA, a stubborn congress, Obama's challenge is massive. But a good start would be to get these horrific assault weapons out of the public domain. These things are so powerful, who would want to own/use such a weapon apart from a professional soldier?

1. platinumOwl4 profile image72
      platinumOwl4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

anyone remember how the labor union started out and what they eventually became. Million of American are now out of work due to there greed for power and more money. Just thought I throw this in for good measure.

4. mintinfo profile image62
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

As long as there is a 2nd amendment the NRA should have a right to lobby for its validity. They maybe powerful but their power is no more than a judge whos sole power is to decipher the law and apply just decisions in disputes. Society as a whole should reexamine the moral implications of protecting the 2nd amendment as it stands now and make appropriate changes according to the health of the republic.

1. d.william profile image74

great points.  Washington should bring the constitution into the future and people need to stop trying to return to the past.  The 'good old days' were not so good after all, were they?

5. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

No organization should have the power to influence governmental decisions.  The NRA is no different than the religions, and any other corporation that influence our politics. 
    What is wrong with their lobbying is the influence they "buy" from politicians who have no understanding of what they are defending, and who don't even care, as long as they are paid large sums of money to be someone's mouthpiece in Washington.
    It has never been about what is right, or what is wrong, but rather, the influences by any single enterprise is all about money, power and greed.   What happens to civilians in that process is simply collateral damage in that quest for the almighty dollar.  It was also a shame that the original motto of our government was misspelled and ended up:  "in God we trust", instead of "in Gold we trust".

1. platinumOwl4 profile image72
      platinumOwl4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Usually I don't, but in this instance I concur with your answer.

6. platinumOwl4 profile image72
    platinumOwl4posted 11 years ago

Yes, They should. When they had the incident in Waco Texas, it was said that children were being abused. It turns out that what those people were really trying to do was break away from an oppressive system. Remember what happen. Children are scarified when someone is attempting to pull a con job on the public. I feel sad of the parents who lost there children. But there is not enough legislation on the mentally Ill were the problem seem to lie. In Newton, the young man killed his mother first. I wonder what happen when a person can murder the person who delivered you into the world. I own two nine millimeters and I have never shot one outside of the firing range.

1. d.william profile image74

the majority believes as U do, but unfortunately, the majority no longer rules this country.  Big money does, & there is BIG money being made selling guns & ammo in this country.  Incidental killings of others is just  collateral damages to t

7. jravity1 profile image60
    jravity1posted 11 years ago

I can't hear you over all the gunshots...

8. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 11 years ago

The NRA as a group should not have a say in any political policies/laws.
    I believe that people have a right to have a gun. Not an assault weapon made for the purpose of killing anyone!!! I also believe every person should have a background check and any history of mental illiness in the home that person should be denied a permit and the application for a permit from any person who is mentally ill should be reported and the person should be forced to get treatment.

This fight to get gun laws passed is really good for the NRA's pocket book...
    That is what they care about and all they care about.

I once was given a gun permit application and TOLD to mail it.  I had in my possession a piece of paper as to this person's mental state and I enclosed a copy with the request.   Permit denied!

crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100 percent with you Shyron.

2. Superkev profile image61
      Superkevposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"I believe that people have a right to have a gun. Not an assault weapon made for the purpose of killing anyone!!! "

So, ummmm, are you less dead if I shoot you with a handgun? What, exactly, do you think guns are for??

9. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 11 years ago

The government cannot protect us from random acts of violence.
    And the government would be protecting our children more by going after the drug cartels and gangs that sell illegal drugs to the children, use children for prostitution, and human trafficking.

There are over 33,000 known gangs in the US with over 1.4 million gang members, They use guns to protect their illegal businesses.

10. Levi Legion profile image60
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

Thomas, your question is so very irrational. I'm not saying this to be mean.

"Should the NRA have a voice in America?" They have as much right to a "voice" as any other group, whether you agree with them or not.

"Giving up our guns" would not prevent school shootings, sorry to inform you. We can't let tragedies cloud our judgment out of fear.

11. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 6 years ago

It's pretty much a given that those who are anti-firearms are also all-in for being anti-1st Amendment and all the other various freedoms and liberties we enjoy as Americans. This Hub Question is all the proof we need to know that for sure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)