Does anyone else get pain in their calves after doing a run and do you know why?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Anthony Binks profile image69
    Anthony Binksposted 11 years ago

Does anyone else get pain in their calves after doing a run and do you know why?

Everytime I go for a run my calves are killing the next day, I have new runners which have been broke in so I can't figure out why. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. dailytop10 profile image86
    dailytop10posted 11 years ago

We share the same experience every time I run with new shoes and follow a rougher course than my usual.

Anthony Binksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand the new shoes as you have to bed them in but it is still happening months down the line. If you find a solution will you let me know please dailytop10. Thanks for your comment.

3. jeffduff profile image74
    jeffduffposted 11 years ago

When i used to run (back in the day), I used to get painful calf spasms a few hours after I finished my run.  Eventually, my family doctor suggested that it may be due to a shortage of potassium (lost during sweating, etc.). He suggested that I eat a banana or two, every day after I want running. Problem solved!

You might want to try it, just to see ...can't hurt to try. Bananas are high in potassium, otherwise you could take a potassium supplement.

I am going to give that a go jeffduff, I do sweat a lot when exercising so you might have hit the nail on the head. Thanks very much.

4. profile image0
    number2sonposted 11 years ago

I think it often comes from tightness.  I have a lot of experience with that, in fact, that might be why I am not as fast as I should be.  Also, it could come from your running form.  If you are doing something slightly off, it could cause pain.  Another thing it could be, is until you are used to running that distance, you will often get pain and tightness in your calves after you run.  There are many things that it could be, and I have probably experienced a lot, if not most of them.  It could also come from prior injuries.  I seriously sprained my right ankle while running, when I was (I think) 13, and now every so often, I have pain there when I am running.  So, in conclusion, there are many possible reasons why you have pain in your calves after you run.

It does fell like the sort of muscle tightness you would get if you just started back after a couple of weeks out but this seems to happen all the time after running and it takes a few days to disappear, Thanks for your answer number2son.

2. profile image0
      number2sonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How long have you been running this distance?

3. Anthony Binks profile image69

Realistically this is my fifth time running it and about a week and half in between runs.

4. profile image0

That explains it.  Your body is still not used to that distance, and with how long in between each time, it will probably take longer for your body to get used to it, than if you did it more often.

5. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

Anthony - It may be due to poor circulation in your feet/legs. Try putting your feet/legs up for a while, see if it helps. Another thing you might try, for better circulation and better running form, are "compression socks" made especially for this...they are worn by professional althlete's too. See their website: Medi. They are sold here in medical stores, but can be very costly, about $72.(US) I have worn them and they work very well, very comfortable, legs/ankles/feet, feel good, help keep your feet dryer too.

Thanks lupine.
      I have seen other runners with them and never really knew why, sort of thought they were for keeping heat in..... shows you how much I know.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Anthony - These special socks are woven by computerized technology, they actually massage your feet/legs with each step you take.

3. profile image0

Kind of a cool concept.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)