Have you ever received a subpoena to appear in court?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (36 posts)
  1. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Have you ever received a subpoena to appear in court?

If so, how did it make you feel? Were you excited? Did you feel like your time had been violated? Would your appearance help or hurt someone you knew?

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

No, I hope not in my entire life. I have not even seen how a subpoena looks like.

MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me either. I was talking to someone today who said her neighbor received a subpoena. I hope I never discover first-hand what that feels like.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A subpoena is just a hand-delivered (by sheriff or private company) letter stating you have to be there or you could be arrested in contempt of court.

3. Abbyfitz profile image74
    Abbyfitzposted 11 years ago

Not for court but for deposition. I had witnessed some domestic dispute. I was walking my dog and a car tried to push another car off the road

Oh my goodness! I'm trying to imagine that scene. That's some serious road rage.

4. yeagerinvestments profile image71
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 11 years ago

Yes, many times when I worked as a probation officer in Illinois. It was part of my job but it always made me nervous. In most cases I had to testify against my defendants but they always knew what was going on. Never a surprise.

1. Abbyfitz profile image74
      Abbyfitzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a court reporter. You wouldn't believe how many people ignore a subpoena and never sow up

2. MarleneB profile image92

Wow, what a job, yeagerinvestments. And, by the way, thank you for your service as a probation officer.

5. the clean life profile image70
    the clean lifeposted 11 years ago

Yes I have and it was a murder trial. I didn't look forward to that, but I had to go or else... I was not excited at all, but the good part is that they found other evidence and the trial was postponed and they had to pick new jurors. Thank God.. Now I just got summons to appear in court again in a different county, but I got out of it this time. They can summons you every 3 years but not before after you have served in a trial

Wow! Summoned again? Aren't there enough people in your area that they can find someone else to summon and not just you all the time? I'm kidding, of course, but I wonder why some people more than others get picked.

2. the clean life profile image70
      the clean lifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are registered to Vote they will find you

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

Indeed, serving on a jury is our right and duty as American citizens, and it is an important one because you get to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. If you are the plaintiff or defendant in a case, you hope for an honest, attentive jury.

6. Lorie Hill profile image60
    Lorie Hillposted 11 years ago

I have also not ever received a subpoena for court.

Oh, knock on wood. Now that you said that, you will probably get a subpoena tomorrow. I hope not.

7. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

Sometimes in my job I get a subpoena to family court. I don't like them but it sometimes is part of my job.  I also received one after I discovered a burglar in my office and told him to get the hell OUT.  My daughters were with me and thanks to our description he got "nicked" and confessed, so I didn't have to appear for that one.

You are a brave person, Lizam1. I'm glad the thief got caught and that you all turned out OK afterwards.

Wow, that's really scary! I agree with MarleneB: you're a brave person! I'm also glad the thief was caught (and that you didn't have to appear in court even!).

8. Kv Krishnamurthy profile image41
    Kv Krishnamurthyposted 11 years ago

No never in my life so far? My age is 70 years now and I dont expect such things to happen in my life. Thanks.

I hope that when I'm 70, I can say the same, living a happy subpoena-free life.

9. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 11 years ago

I was arrested for working in a foreign country. Although I was married to a Tongan, I was an illegal alien and had to get a work permit. read more

I read your story. What a life-changing moment that was. I'm glad it had a happy ending.

10. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

I am fortunate in this case and I hate:-
    1 ) Courts in India.
    2 ) Hospitals in India.
    3 ) Police Stations in India.

So, skgrao, where's all this hate coming from? I'm just kidding. Congratulations on not ever receiving a subpoena.

11. Dr. Haddox profile image58
    Dr. Haddoxposted 11 years ago

No. I suppose that I have been lucky not to have. It is trouble to go through this procedure, I am sure of it, because one must suffer the lost of time, and have to become involved within the law system. This is all that I know to say about this.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

1. Laura Schneider profile image84

It is a loss of time and a huge inconvenience on the part of the juror or witness, but it is very important to the persons involved with the trial, both plaintiff and defendant, so please don't think of it as horrible if you're ever called to serve.

2. MarleneB profile image92

It is a necessary process, and naturally, upon being called we must serve. But, that doesn't relieve the fact that it is time consuming. We don't have to like it, but we do have to be there. I just know I wouldn't enjoy it.

12. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 11 years ago

Yes, I had to sue a former employer for I think it was 13 varieties of mischief (fraud, theft, whistleblower, etc.). I answered a deposition for about 3-5 hours, then later appeared in court for two weeks. It was nerve-wracking testifying, even though I knew the facts were on my side, because it was difficult to explain to a level that the jury would understand. I normally talk fast, and, being nervous, I talked even faster, so I had to consciously talk slower for the court reporter to keep up and still keep my thoughts straight in my head. I even had to try to do a complicated math problem for them to show them how the money was stolen without the ability to use a chalk/whiteboard or anything. I had a good friend testify on my behalf, who also worked for that employer, and he did a great job: I was very, very grateful, even though I knew it was a terrible inconvenience to him (he was running a marathon the next day). It was actually exciting to see how things all worked from the inside (not on TV), though. So many rules!

I've also been subpoenaed for jury duty. The first time, I had just recently (the week before) moved to a different state, so that disqualified me, and the second time I wasn't selected to appear. They always subpoena tons more people than are actually needed because some people don't show up and some are rejected as jurors by the attorneys right at the beginning of the trial.

Inside the court room is exciting, but scary. Like you said, there are so many rules. I can imagine being nervous about breaking the rules and then being punished for that. What a bad day that would be.

They grant you leeway if you're not a professional who's used to being in court, no worries. The court reporter would just ask me to slow down if I was talking too fast, and my attorney told me to stand when the judge stands, etc. It was actually OK.

13. tenderLaine profile image67
    tenderLaineposted 11 years ago

No, I never have. If it ever happens, I hope I would view it as my civic duty and privilege in our free society.

tenderLaine, it is a civic duty and that's why we do it. And, I guess it is a privilege because not everyone gets to do it.

14. nanderson500 profile image78
    nanderson500posted 11 years ago

Not so far, luckily. If I did, I would probably feel nervous.

Nervous and apprehensive, since it is something we've never done and nothing reliable to reference what to expect.

15. davidlivermore profile image93
    davidlivermoreposted 11 years ago

I've had to testify in court for the work I do.  It's quite interesting and exciting.  I am sure it depends on the context on why you are required for court.  Mine was in my regular duties, so it wasn't unexpected either.

I see. I guess when you have a job that requires you to be in court for such things, it makes it less stressful or annoying. Thank you for your input to this question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)