Do you think the government should send letters home notifying parents of their

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Abby Campbell profile image75
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

Do you think the government should send letters home notifying parents of their children's obesity?

Public schools mailing notices to parents about their child's obesity? That's right! It's a new government initiative. What are your thoughts?

2. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Not really. That's a bit more power, to show that they are trying to control families. Yes, there are plenty of overweight children. But go to Mexico, there are just as many there as there are here. American's are becoming overweight because of our society's attitude and I can't wait until we get a reajustment.

Abby Campbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What would you suggest for a readjustment, Iburmaster?

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A realization that most children actually are overweight and that it's a major problem. Most people just don't have the time to keep up with their own weight loss, much less their child's. An easier plan would definately help.

3. sarahmoose profile image65
    sarahmooseposted 11 years ago

Our schools don't mail parents if this happens in the UK, but children have regular check ups with a school nurse. I think they then send a letter home to indicate any issues they have picked up on, including weight issues.

4. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 11 years ago

As a parent myself, it really isn't up to the government, it is up to us. If your child was overweight, you don't need a letter stating that fact, you already know.
    My thought is correct the problem. It's easier said than done.
    As I have already stated in numerous articles, and by answering questions.
    Our current state of obesity is due to many factors. Among them are over processed food, a lack of whole foods in the diet, over use of anti biotics, steriods, and even over the counter meds, saturated fats, instead of good fats, that actually feed our body, and brains, lack of exercise, and fresh air.
    The foods we binge on gives us clues as to what nutrient we need. If our body doesn't get what it needs, it will keep screaming for it. Thereby setting up a vicious cycle.
    A craving for carbs, would imply trytophan, or b complex. Salty foods, magnesium.
    Fried foods, omega 3 fatty acids, and so forth. Due to processing, those nutrients are not present in our food. Our bodies are not satisfied, so therefore we binge.
    By getting to the root cause, we eliminate the problem.

As a professional nutritionist myself, I completely agree with you.  wink

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I do not.  Any parent with eyeballs in their head, as well as the child, knows if there is an obesity problem. The last thing a child needs is the school jumping on the bandwagon.

Schools can have nutrition classes that teach about portions and healthy foods rather than call attention to a child with a problem.

Sometimes I wonder if children actually know that they have weight issues, especially when they are surrounding by two-thirds of a population who are overweight/obese. A "chubby" kid stood out to the crowd 25 years ago. Now the "skinny" kid does.

2. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Believe me they will know simply, and sadly but the taunting of their fellow students.  Kids do not miss anything they can tease another child about.

6. soconfident profile image72
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

No, but it would be kinda insulting to call somebody child fat and at the same to time quit funny

7. greencha profile image62
    greenchaposted 11 years ago

Only if parents indicated before hand that they wish to be notified of any noticed
    health concerns.
       Otherwise the Government should mind their own business and get on with running the country.

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

No, that is all the government needs is more power. It all starts at home. People think that they are helping their kids by giving them all they want to eat, "I'm not going to let my child go hungry." Normally the children's eating habits have been learned from their parent/parents. Parents need to take into account their child's health. There are so many cases with childhood diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. than ever before. And stop letting your children be coach potatoes. Get outside with them and it is a win, win situation.

9. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

I don't see how this will help the problem at all. If a child is obese, his parents surely know. And receiving a letter about it is not going to motivate them to do anything about it. It seems a very poor way to address and fix the problem.

Maybe a better way would be to take the snack machines and soda machines out of the schools.

I remember back in my school days, we had health and physical education classes... as well as the "Presidential Physical Challenge." No kid wanted to be be last in the 1-mile run. What ever happened to education instead?

10. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

No.  In fact, I think the government should stay the hell out of your life, your kid's life, and most definitely MY life.

I think the government is the least in all authorities under the stars in knowing what is best for you, what is best for your child, what is best for me, or what is best for any living being.

In fact, I hate government - and I know that government, like a virus, only ever seeks to grow, to expand, and to internally justify its own existence, regardless of the effects on the host...the governed.

11. Larry Fields profile image67
    Larry Fieldsposted 11 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with most of the hell-no answers so far.
    To that I'd add that the quick-and-dirty definition of overweight used by most health professionals is the BMI. That's body mass index. As I showed in a recent hub, the BMI is essentially pseudoscience, with a built-in bias for false positives in tall people.

1. Get Thin for Good profile image67
      Get Thin for Goodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Larry has a point.

2. Abby Campbell profile image75

I agree, Larry. BMI is not only inaccurate for tall people. Those who are athletic with a good amount of muscle mass will also be considered obese even when they have extremely low body fat levels. Then there are "skinny fat" folks who would be okay.

12. davenmidtown profile image66
    davenmidtownposted 11 years ago

not every body can be size 2... so no I think the government should not be involved in obesity... there are other agencies that can be involved if the child is in danger for food addiction, etc.

13. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

I think the government should stop approving genocide, sterilization and the like.

Dr Rima Laibow Exposes Genocidal Plot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cvqrNvcR8

Some think I'm a "conspiracy theorist," because I don't like what the government is doing. Naw! To heck with theories. I just don't like the ugly facts.

Don't pretend that conspiracies have never happened in the history of humanity.

Don't pretend that mad men never gain positions of power.

Don't pretend that bankers are never greedy.

And don't pretend that people who lust for power and money wouldn't murder for them.

The Rockefeller polluted government-corporate fascism in America has perverted the relationship between children and their parents, gradually making them obsolete by design. And the schools get worse and worse. Dozens of countries in the world now have far better education that we Americans do. Also by design. How does it help that the national debt has been skyrocketing under Bush, and now is accelerating under Obama? By design and not for our well-being.

Watch the video and find out how you and your children are "excess eaters" taking from "their limited resources."

Thanks for sharing, lone77star. I also have been following some of what is going on with the theory of "downsizing our population" as well as the "Rockefeller polluted government in America." It is definitely interesting to say the least.

14. Jeff Gamble profile image59
    Jeff Gambleposted 11 years ago

Politicians need to let go of the urge to protect us from ourselves, especially those in Massachusetts. (I can say that, I'm a Mass native.) If you haven't seen the bit from last weekend's SNL, Seth Meyers commented on the story out of the Great Blue State, "Some parents in Massachusetts are upset with new "fat letters" being sent out by schools informing them that their children are obese. Though they could have used gentler phrasing than 'Your kid's a wicked porker.'"

I nearly soiled myself I was laughing so hard. Bottom line, there are far more important things our leaders should be working on than telling Mr. & Mrs. America that little Timmy isn't so little.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)