From the experienced Hubbers, I would like to know your opinion on the Apprentic

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 11 years ago

From the experienced Hubbers, I would like to know your opinion on the Apprentice program.

I am very interested in the apprentice program, but I work a full time job so I'm not sure if I would have the free time needed to complete the program. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible, and if it would be worth it?

2. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years ago

Thanks for asking this questions.  I too am interested and for the same reason as you don't know if I would have the time to do it.

wayne barrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it works out maybe we'll come up together.

3. profile image0
    Tayshiaposted 11 years ago

Hi Wayne.  I wanted to jump in on this thread, I too am really interested.  I was thinking about doing it over the summer if its being offered.

4. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

I think right now it is on hold and being refined so it is not an option for anyone to join at the moment.  I'm interested in it too.

Thank you LCDWriter. This is info that I did not know. I still see people with the Apprentice mark on their profile pic, so I'm guessing it's as you said...only closed for new applicants. I will have to look into when there will be a future opening.

5. btrbell profile image87
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I am in the middle of month 3 in the apprenticeship program. On the question of time, you are required to publish a minimum of 8,at least 500 word hubs per month. Look at how many hubs you are currently writing per month and how much time it takes you. That will help ecide if you have enough time. I was writing about 10 hubs per month, so I thought, piece of cake, but, these have to be properly attributed, no poetry and over 500 words, so it is taking me more time to write them.

Is it worth it? For me, it has been. I have learned something new each month. My writing and presentation has improved each hub. My views and earnings have gone up and the valuable mentorship and guidance I receive is just that...valuable!
    Good luck!

1. profile image0
      Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

btrbell, thanks so much for information and sharing your experience.  I'll have to give it more thought.

2. wayne barrett profile image73

Thanks, Randi. This is a good idea for me to keep track of how much I am doing and whether it would be sufficient.

6. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

The apprentice program is a experience of a lifetime. Through the apprentice program, you are stimulated to develop hubs in a variety of topics, although most of all, in the topics that you're more knowledgable about. If you can write 8 hubs or more per month, you'll be fine.

The knowledge you gain, such as how to develop friendly-search titles allow you to structure high quality hubs that people are looking on the internet. While you're gaining knowledge working on your own hubs, you're also acquiring knowledge from other apprentices.

There is lots to gain from participating on the apprenticeship. The program gives you an ample overview on the tools available for writers. From there, you can immerse yourself and continue growing as a writer.

You need to have some time available for the program, since after the first month, the program can turn demanding. I'm talking about my own experience as an apprentice. If you prepare your hub's topics with advance and meet the required montly quantity of hubs, you'll be fine.

Thank you, Jose. So far I've heard sounds doable and encouraging!

7. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

I don't know that I would call it the "experience of a lifetime" unless I lived an incredibly dull life, but it is a worthwhile program.
    Most people work full time jobs - and many people who work full time jobs claim to be "too busy" to do other things, when in reality people just aren't motivated to do things with their spare time that don't involve watching TV, surfing the internet, etc.

In other words - it's easy to do with a full time job.
    I didn't complete the program, because I had to move, and was not being given the time off of work to do so (working overtime) and came up short on month 5.
    But even with those 4 months of apprenticeship training, my hubbing changed drastically.

You can make time for it, or you can just continue on the same path you're currently on. Your choice.

Thanks, mattforte. I don't watch much TV and when I get involved with a project I usually follow through. My biggest worry is something that you mentioned, and that is my overtime. But hey, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

8. poshcoffeeco profile image80
    poshcoffeecoposted 11 years ago

I am determined to make it onto the AP this year. I have applied 3  times and on the 3rd application was given great feedback which has encouraged me more to up my game in anticipation of getting accepted next time. Good luck to you it will really set you on the road to being a 'real' writer.

So, I guess it's not that easy to get accepted! Good information. I'll be prepared for rejection now.  ( :

9. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

Hi Wayne,

I can only speak from my own personal experience here, but I completed the apprenticeship a few weeks ago. I loved every minute of it and I did feel that I learned a lot - especially about how to improve the hubs I write. I'm not working at the moment so I was ok with the time etc. However, there were one or two apprentices who unfortunately had to drop out because of other commitments, lack of time and so on. Having said that many still completed the course and that included those who were also working.

For me there is nothing to lose and a lot to gain. If at anytime you feel the programme is not for you, then you can withdraw with no hard feelings from HP's. I believe there is a long waiting list but from my own point of view it's worth the wait. Hope this helps a bit as I know it is a big decision to make.

Thank you, Seeker. It sounds like a bigger commitment than I anticipated but it also sounds very much worth the work!

10. chuckd7138 profile image72
    chuckd7138posted 11 years ago

I applied for it last year. I was rejected without  explanation. I admit that I was bitter over it for a few months. I realized though that I've had enough instruction, classes and workshops that I really didn't need another one. I already know that writing improves from reading and writing, always reading and writing. That's what my advice would be to anyone that asks on how to become a better writer .... read, write, repeat.

I can't argue with you on that one, Chuck. Regardless of what training I've had over the years, most of my learning has come through trial and error of writing and continuous reading.

11. Emma Harvey profile image83
    Emma Harveyposted 11 years ago

I finished the apprenticeship back in December and still carry on writing (at least four hubs a month). I work full time and am a Mother, but somehow I managed each month to complete. Some months were tougher than others but it was all a learning curve. Even now I look back at the times when I just had a few hours left in the day to finish my eighth hub. But it's something I achieved and it was a personal goal.

Do it when you feel ready (and when it comes available). You'll find the time somewhere to get the hubs done if you want to stick with it. Good luck.

Thank you for the input and the encouragement, Emma.

12. Sushma Webber profile image75
    Sushma Webberposted 11 years ago

Hi Wayne, it is worthwhile to follow through with the apprenticeship program. Reading all the answers to your questions, I have only one thing to add. The first couple of months it will take longer to write each hub but as time goes by, you will find that you will be spending less time writing and uploading once you have done your research well. It is a case of 'practice makes perfect.' This is my experience.

Hence to answer your question about whether it is possible to complete it while working full-time, you can keep this in mind. If you plan to make more time initially and cutting back on other commitments, then you will be able to complete the program. Proper planning will take you far.

Thank you, Sushma. I appreciate the advice.

13. Daisy Mariposa profile image73
    Daisy Mariposaposted 11 years ago

I am one of the 18 of 33 people who completed the Apprentice Program in the beta test group—the first Apprentice group. We were invited to participate. I was a professional writer before I joined HubPages, but I didn’t have very much online writing experience.

The Apprentice Program is hard work. I learned quite a bit during the six months I was in the program. I feel the program is worth the effort.

You will not learn how to write in the program—you will learn how to be a better writer. It is possible to be successful in the Apprentice Program if you have a full-time job, but you won’t have much time for anything else.

Wayne, the writing of yours that I have seen is poetry. If all you write is poetry, the Apprentice Program, unfortunately, will not be the best writing course for you. Apprentices are not permitted to publish poetry in their primary HubPages account during the six months they are in the program. They are also not permitted to publish poetry in their primary HP account during the six months of the post-Apprentice period—the first six months of their being Apprenticeship Alum.

You can publish poetry while you are an Apprentice and an Apprenticeship Alum, but your work has to be in a separate HP account, and the writing will not count toward the Hubs you are required to publish in the program.

14. theluckywriter profile image68
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

I'll be following this question. I'm very interested in the apprenticeship program...I was disappointed when I saw that it was on hold. Hopefully it won't be discontinued altogether!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)