What was your nickname when you were growing up? Did it stick -- is it the same

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. wiserworld profile image82
    wiserworldposted 11 years ago

What was your nickname when you were growing up? Did it stick -- is it the same now?

2. Tinsky profile image92
    Tinskyposted 11 years ago

My nickname was "Mickey Finn" because I never liked wearing clothes.  My father back in the early 70's photographed me coming up the back stairs holding my undies in my hand, stark naked.  I don't get called that anymore. But when at home, and because I live in a hot climate I do wear my birthday suit a lot in summer.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

When I was a youngster, I was a bit overweight so my nickname was "Beefy." As I grew older, I worked out with weights and became bulked up, so the nickname stuck. This has been years ago, only a few old friends still call me this.

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

My boyfriend at the time said I was like a teddy bear so my friends all called me Teddie. Luckily it only lasted 2 or 3 years.

5. petenali profile image80
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

My nickname was "Shilton" all through school.  It came from my playing as a goalkeeper in football (soccer) for many years.  At that time Peter Shilton was playing for England in goal and we shared the same first name, so my playing colleagues called me Shilton.  It stuck for many years, but ended after my school days.  I kept playing football but my older colleagues never used it.

6. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 11 years ago

My sister called me sissy because she couldn't say my name or sister when she was little.  I spent all my life with that name up until now she and some others still call me sissy.

7. clara kish@yahoo. profile image61
    clara kish@yahoo.posted 11 years ago

When I  was little people would ask me what my name was and I would tell them",Cherry wese". Clara Louise is my name But for 80  some years I  have been Cherry except   people that I worked with or went to  school with,  I like my nickname better than my  real one , I guess because I am more used to it.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I never had a nickname of any kind, whether of a personality trait or from my name.  My first name (which I no longer use) was a short name that did not have a nickname to it.
    It always made me mad as a kid, because all my friend's names had nicknames....Barbara was Barb or Bobbie; Sharon was Susie; Patricia was Pat;, etc....and I felt 'left out' of the 'nickname club.'  Silly, I know...but...that's kids for ya.

9. Neinahpets profile image81
    Neinahpetsposted 11 years ago

Step-on-me.  The only one who still uses it would be my dad, so it definitely sticks.

10. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

My nickname was "Chobes" lol.  It evolved from calling me "Anchovy" because my middle name is Anthony.  That became "Chovy" and then Choby" and eventually "Chobes" - which many of my friends to this day continue to call me.

11. jravity1 profile image61
    jravity1posted 11 years ago

six pack.... when I was real young, my step dad always made me run to get the beer from the fridge. It didn't stick, well it stuck in my head.

12. Healthy Mike profile image60
    Healthy Mikeposted 11 years ago

I didn't have a nickname whilst growing up and i think this could partly be attributed to my non-conformity to social peer groups which would label you according to your behavior. I was moderate in most of my undertakings so nicknames hardly came by ( not that i could have minded but i still fell content with people just calling me 'mike'!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)