Is it better to write hubs all in one niche or write about different things?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. StitchTheDamned profile image67
    StitchTheDamnedposted 11 years ago

Is it better to write hubs all in one niche or write about different things?

So far, I have 13 Hubs published. I have been jumping around on topics, writing about what I am inspired to do some research on that day. I do have several focused on drug addiction, though. I wonder, is it better to write about several different topics in order to reach a wider variety of readers, or is it better to focus all of your hubs on a specific niche?

2. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years ago

I think it is good to have a niche, and write mostly within it, but also to have a few that go in a different direction. When I am looking at someone's page, I enjoy variety. It is more likely that someone will find your page useful and interesting if you broaden your focus just a bit. Although I am sure many people do well when they do have one niche that they stay in.
    I can relate to how you feel about writing about whatever inspires you. I do the same, and I enjoy it.
    Good luck!

3. carol7777 profile image75
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

Having a hiche makes you an authority on a subject and if people are interested in the niche..you will get views.

4. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

It is a personal preference as to whether you write about anything and everything or just about one or two things. The main thing is to enjoy what you do. I prefer to write about what interests me. That is a variety of things. I also have people complimenting me on my variety.

5. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 11 years ago

Write things you have a passion for. You mentioned: "I have been jumping around on topics, writing about what I am inspired to do some research on that day."

I have always been doing the same as you for my websites because I believe that is the right way to write, whether you are specializing on a certain topic or jumping like a frog. The thing about writing in one niche is that HubPages has a feature to group all of your related articles together so that visitors can jump from one of your hub to another, thereby increasing your overall traffic. In addition, the search engines will favor your hub more because your hub contains many related keywords. Having said that, if the contents are not well-written, it doesn't matter what feature HubPages offer hubbers. HubPages and the search engines can only do so much... it can bring the horse to the water but it cannot make the horse drink.

1. taanirudh profile image62
      taanirudhposted 10 years agoin reply to this

you are totally right

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Taanirudh! Totally right!!! Actually got 60% is enough, LOL.

6. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

I prefer writing about different topics. It helps me in increasing my knowledge & also brings good views, only if the the topic is highly searched on net.

7. ketage profile image82
    ketageposted 11 years ago

Write about what you are passionate about, if you are well versed in a particular subject, you could focus a certain percentage of your hubs on that, but also write about other things that interest you. so I would say a mix of 50% niche and 50% whatever catches your fancy smile or whatever percentage you are comfortable with.

8. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 10 years ago

There's an old saying: Variety is the spice of life.
    In writing, as in living, one can become interested if not passionate about many different topics or subjects. By immersing oneself in a topic and learning enough about it to write about it, the authentic writing should resonate with many readers who know about the subject or who wish to learn about it.
    On the other hand, once you have created 50 or a 100 articles devoted to one subject, you may have compiled enough information on the topic to publish in a book.

1. WalterPoon profile image69

I agree with Copper Man... learning while writing, and writing while learning. What is an economist or engineer? You go through 3-4 years of lectures and presto! You are now an economist or engineer.

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 10 years ago

Writing for what you are passion in will be ideal. If you have websites on different topics then you may want to start with one first before moving to the next. This way, you can build some forms of connection with your readers.

10. relawshe profile image59
    relawsheposted 10 years ago

I think there are definitely benefits & drawbacks to both.  If you write about too many different topics, you may be seen as a "Jill-of-all-trades", meaning you know a little about a lot of topics, but are not an expert in any of them.  That would be bad. 
    On the flip side, if you write only on one or two topics in your "niche", then you'll only get readers who are really interested in those topics, and not many other readers.  And depending on the topic, it might get old or tired and even the loyal, interested readers might be bored! 
    I think a mixture of both is the best bet, so you can show yourself as a "expert" in a couple of areas, while writing about other things you may not be an expert in, but still have lots of knowledge about. 
    Great question and good luck writing!

11. Dennis AuBuchon profile image61
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 10 years ago

The key to any writing is to have a feeling about the topic on which you write.  I write on a variety of topics and each and on one I have a defined opinion but in my writing I present the facts from both sides of an issue.  It is important to have a niche on which you concentrate your writing but good writers can write on any topic with the aid of research throwing in an opinion where applicable.

12. Anselome profile image72
    Anselomeposted 10 years ago

I joined HP a few months ago with the intention of sticking to a niche, but I've found that just writing about something that I am passionate about makes the writing easier and the quality of the writing better. So what if you jump around a lot of different subjects? So long as you are passionate about each and you dedicate some time to making a quality article you will still be successful.

Plus attracting a variety of hubbers opens up your opportunities to have your article seen and shared. If you focus on one niche, if there aren't that many people interested in your topic your visibility is limited and success will be a little bit harder to find.

It's better to have a few quality pieces than to have a bunch of sub par ones. If you "spread the Hub love", they will come and you'll eventually make a name for yourself.

13. profile image49
    landozposted 10 years ago

so far , i have 13 hubs published. i have been jumping around on topics, writing about what i am inspired to do some research on that day. i do have several focused on drug addiction, though. i wonder, is it better to write about several different topics in order to reach a wider variety of readers, or is it better to focus all of your hubs on a specific niche?

14. taanirudh profile image62
    taanirudhposted 10 years ago

according to me you should write about anything you like only the you can speak your heart out

"According to me....", I like that!!! LOL.

15. DDE profile image48
    DDEposted 10 years ago

You can write about topics you are familiar with and see how your readership goes along with those titles, depending on the title you have to focus on a specific niche.

16. StitchTheDamned profile image67
    StitchTheDamnedposted 10 years ago

Thank you for all the advice everyone! This is all extremely helpful. Through writing more articles and paying attention to my views, I'm starting to notice what gets more views and what I like to write more. I think I am going to stick to writing what I feel passionate about at the moment and continue to develope a particular niche. Thanks again!

Stitch, if your passion is for a particular niche, no matter what you write, the bulk of it will naturally fall into that niche. It's like a scrapbook where you paste newspaper cuttings of what you like. You'll see a pattern in your selections.

17. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

I started writing Christian related hubs and decided to write on other topics so I might get more exposure to my hubs. I heard that some  hubbers have several accounts and make those accounts topic specific.

Making several accounts sounds cool, but that will take years to see the first payment, LOL. I think 2 accounts may be a good idea, if you are very focused on one niche and just want to write occasionally about other stuffs.

18. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Interesting question and equally interesting answers.
    As for me, I like variety. In our day today life, we come across so many experiences. I generally write about topics about which I have experience. Moreover, I like spontaneous writing. An idea can strike at any time of the day and I get going.
    So far I don't think I have found a niche but may be when I have spent a little more time here, I also begin to follow one niche, like others.

ChitrangadaSharan, you are right... too many spontaneous ideas and not enough time to write!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)