What happened to Vietnam era young men who fled the country as conscientious obj

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. KatyWhoWaited profile image82
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 11 years ago

What happened to Vietnam era young men who fled the country as conscientious objectors?

Many conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War fled to Canada and other countries as a matter of conscience.  I'm wondering what happened to them?  Did most return to the US after the war?  Did they become activists in other ways?  I have a friend whose husband was a conscientious objector and joined the Peace Corps and worked in Thailand and Malaysia for several years.  His son grew up to join the Peace Corps as well and the whole family is active in fighting for social justice.  I'm wondering about the hundreds of others.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7914824_f260.jpg

2. Gawth profile image70
    Gawthposted 11 years ago

At the risk of being labeled insensitive, not all who fled the draft  (and that's what they did) were conscientious objectors.  You had to file paperwork to be a real conscientious objector.  The others just took off.  I think some president gave them amnesty (and probably) a parade.

3. Chuck Bluestein profile image62
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 11 years ago

I would say that most came back since the U.S. is where most of their family was. I wonder how many who lost their limbs or their minds, wish that they would have went to Canada instead. Although is has not ended! Teens are not forced to fight unless they voluntarily join the armed forces. They are then forced to invade other lands and kill other people. What happens to them.

You can look it up and see that some die while attempting to kill others. But most come back to America and kill themselves every 80 minutes. Huffington Post says: "Military suicides have increased since the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a Center for a New American Security Suicide report.  In the fiscal year 2009 alone, 1,868 veterans of these wars have made suicide attempts,  according to armytimes.com.

A veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes, a fact the study attributes to the VA."

4. Brett Winn profile image81
    Brett Winnposted 11 years ago

Years later one of the presidents (forget which one) officially forgave them.

1. GwennyOh profile image91
      GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

September 16th, 1974 was when President Ford issued  a conditional amnesty to 'draft dodgers'.  On January 21st, 1977, President Carter issued a full and unconditional amnesty to these individuals.

To refuse to take part in war is admirable.

2. AlexDrinkH2O profile image74
      AlexDrinkH2Oposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember that and it really made me mad.  I went over there and served my time in Nam and did my duty.  "To refuse to take part in war is admirable."  Some would call it cowardice.

3. Marquis profile image66
      Marquisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I bet they felt the same way during WW2.

4. ChristinS profile image37
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not cowardice to not do blindly what you are told by your government.  I admire soldiers who feel called to serve, but I also know several of our wars have served absolutely no purpose.  It takes courage to stand up for what you think is right.

5. GwennyOh profile image91
    GwennyOhposted 11 years ago

I ran out of space to finish what I was saying.  I wanted to add - it's my belief that refusing to take part in war is admirable no matter what the reasoning a person has to do so.

In my opinion it's heroic, as war is not an answer.

1. Marquis profile image66
      Marquisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

War is not the way? So who will stop the next Adolf Hitler?

2. ChristinS profile image37

Stopping Hitler was a just cause - what did we gain from Vietnam? Iraq? Most wars are pointless and only serve to line the pockets of war profiteers at the expense of fine young men/women.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

On Sept. 16, 1974, President Gerald R. Ford issued a proclamation that offered amnesty to those who evaded the draft during the Vietnam War. Mr. Ford also granted amnesty to those in the military who deserted their duty while serving. However, the amnesty came with certain conditions, namely that those involved agreed to reaffirm their allegiance to the United States and serve two years working in a public service job.

7. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

A draft is institutionalized slavery. How bizarre that our country after losing over 500,000 people to abolish it would have it. I really find it bizarre in the context of communism: "we are going to enslave you to go fight on foreign soil to make other men free". Now after abolition many slaves still worked in that kind of farming capacity. Now after the draft many young men and women join the military and fulfill the function.
    The problem is that civil disobedience against such bizarre government action is the only voice many have. It is also our right to leave a country whose laws we cannot abide by. America invited these people back and I understand most did come back, as free men. We should thank them for helping to change our laws for the better. But I must say that to this day I have never met one.

8. must65gt profile image75
    must65gtposted 11 years ago

History will show most of them were pardoned by Carter during his administration but I love all the anti American sentiment spew from the liberal passivism! I served this country and I enjoy the freedom the men and women that died for it provide meIt’s easy to sit back and protest the draft and the soldiers that served this country so others can have the freedom to say what they want.  perhaps if you dislike America so much; you should defect to Yugoslavia or Cuba and live under their "Freedom" Ill stay here!!!

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I enlisted and got rejected. No I was a perfect candidate, but waiting to become 18 the war got ended. So there was a freeze on new recruits. I really appreciate those who serve, but I am glad life worked out the way it did.

2. GwennyOh profile image91
      GwennyOhposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's great that America is for the most part 'free'.  This doesn't dispute the fact that there must be a better way than war.

3. ChristinS profile image37

Funny I come from a long family line of both liberal and conservative soldiers - I guess only the conservative ones were patriotic enough? smh... Objecting to something that is wrong is wholly American by the way - freedom of speech!

9. KatyWhoWaited profile image82
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 11 years ago

To each person answering this question -  my respect to you for expressing your opinion.  I started this series of hubs,"Love Letters from Vietnam," to tell the story of two young people in love during war. Tim and I were caught in the middle of that war, and I can tell you that for us, it was truly a moral wrenching decision-making process. To those here who do not believe that there were truly "conscientious" objectors, I can tell you that for us, Tim's participation in the war WAS a matter of conscience.  We knew as did all our friends, that we had NO CLEAR understanding of what the war was about. We attended lectures to find out, we read newspapers and watched the news; we still didn't understand. Tim had to decide whether he believed reports of South Vietnamese citizens hung in the square which would justify his participation in his mind or watch the effects of our bombing on innocent civilians and decide the morality of THAT.  I had to decide whether or not I could be in a relationship with someone who had enlisted in the Army before I had known, and had a high probability being part of that war. During the course of the war and Tim's deployment to Vietnam, I continued researching and decided that it was more patriotic for me to protest the subsequent bombing of Cambodia than to not protest.  So while my husband fought, I took around petitions.  You have to remember, that we weren't making decisions frivolously.  There were priests on the pulpits speaking of the immorality of participating in unjust wars.
    This is nothing new. "All Quiet on the Western Front" portrays the soldiers' angst long ago. Perhaps the most revealing book of a Vietnam soldier's dilemma is Tim O'Brien's, "The Things they Carried."  In one line he says something to the effect of "I went to the war because I was embarrassed not to."  No one should go to war because they are embarrassed not to. At the very, very least, the lesson learned, for me, is that one should never participate in a war he or she does not clearly understand.
    Forty years later, there our groups diffusing the bombs still left in Vietnam.  And now I have the moral decision of whether or not I am brave enough to join them. It all IS and should be a matter of conscience. 

All that being said, there must STILL be an untold stories out there from conscientious objectors of that era, and I'd love to hear them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)