Do you prefer to eat healty or just whatever tastes good to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (35 posts)
  1. dorothy0328 profile image75
    dorothy0328posted 11 years ago

Do you prefer to eat healty or just whatever tastes good to you?

Please indicate which style you prefer and if selecting healthy what do you do to make a meal healthier?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/3331309_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately, I have eaten whatever tastes good to me for amy lifetime.  Oh my I am not paying the price.  I think healthy eating and nutrition should be a required subject in school.

dorothy0328posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that. That is very important that kids learn how to eat healthy and the consequences of not doing so. If after taking a course and passing they choose not to do so as an adult that is their informed decision.

3. Claudia Tello profile image68
    Claudia Telloposted 11 years ago

I eat 85% of the time healthy and that is exactly what tastes good to me. My personal preferences are luckily almost always the healthy ones. For example, I love fresh, raw veggies, and I would much rather have whole grain bread/pasta/tortillas/cereals than the white super-refined versions.

I used to love junk however now that I am really interested in dietary and culinary I have learned to eat a lot of the foods I love in moderation and like you I also love a lot of healthy foods as well.

4. Sapper profile image62
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

I eat what tastes good. I used to work as a CNA, and there are plenty of diseases out there that don't care how healthy you are. Besides, regardless you die, might as well have fun before then. For me, than means lots of rare steak.

I see what your saying all though eating healthy can help to reduce risk factors for certain diseases and heart problems there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating what tastes good. I havedays where it is fried heart attack on a plate occasionaly

5. profile image57
    ctnahdaposted 11 years ago

To answer your question

I prefer to eat healthy,but in some occasions my taste bud doesn't get along with my mind,so there always a conflict between those two.I usually ended up following my taste bud rather than eating healthy.LOL
    My choice of selecting healthy meal will be steamed meals,eating fruits and raw vegetables before eating other meals.My usual meals will consist 2 portions of fruits,1 portion of main dish(rice or pastas) ,and 1 portion of side dish(fish or chicken).

Sometimes I also go with the taste buds you have to enjoy life from time to time after all we do only live once.

6. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 11 years ago

I tasted most kinds of healthy and unhealthy foods but I would choose to eat healthy foods. Healthy foods are my investment to good health. As much as possible, I try and grow my own vegetables to eat and buy healthy food. I use a lot of vegetables in my cooking and not use too much salt and cooking oil.

That's awesome that you grow your own vegetables as I also have a garden myself. Good luck to you thank you for answering.

7. My Cook Book profile image60
    My Cook Bookposted 11 years ago

In healthy foods i search for the tasty ones.

Nothing wrong with that if it's healthy and tasty then that's a double win.

8. nArchuleta profile image74
    nArchuletaposted 11 years ago

I definitely TRY to eat healthy foods. I have a subscription to "Cooking Light," and I use recipes out of there almost excusively. From there I've also learned a lot of ways to modify recipes: removing the skin from chicken (I don't always), replacing butter with olive oil in some cases, loading a dish with veggies over meat. However, I agree with the readers who state they sometimes war with their taste buds! I have the hardest time keeping cheese in the house -- I love it too much and can't limit myself to a 1 oz. portion.

One trick I've discovered from "Self" magazine is to eat snacks in between meals. I always bring at least two pieces of fruit to work to eat in addition to my lunch (which is almost always home-cooked.) I also try to have a fruit or vegetable with each meal.

One of the keys to healthful cooking is using quality ingredients. I choose fresh over canned or frozen produce. And if I do buy cheese for a recipe, I buy the highest quality, never low-fat -- that just leaves my palette feeling disappointed. I almost never eat processed foods anymore, and I stay away from high fructose corn syrup at all costs.

Cheese that can be a demon in our house as well. LOL great trick from the magazine thanks for sharing. I also try to have a small bite in between meals I find that I may not eat as much in between meals.

9. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

I eat what tastes good. If it happens to be healthy, that's a bonus.
         If the years of life gained by eating healthy were added in early or middle years of life, I would probably be more disciplined. But they are not. Those years are at the end of life. So, if I live to be 85 instead of 80, how quality will be those 5 years of life be? I'm a true believer that it's the quality of life; not the quantity.
         So, tomorrow, I'll put lettuce on my burger, and we'll both be happy.  Thanks.

10. profile image0
    richard alburoposted 11 years ago

For me you can do both healthy and good food . Just make some variation . For example for pizza instead of using meat , you can use tuna , for your hamburger patty you can use veggie patty , for vegetables instead of using butter use olive oil . For me there are so many variation to make your food healthy and good .

1. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have successfully made a (half) whole-wheat crust, too. It's a pain b.c. it needs to rest over night. But it was good.

2. dorothy0328 profile image75

Well in the pizza area I tend to use that as a splurge meal maybe once a month so I don't usually go to healthy with it however things such as light sauce, whole wheat crust, and light on the cheese and meats can make it a little healthier. Good Job.

11. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 11 years ago

I prefer to eat healthy as much as possible, but that doesn't mean my meals taste bad:)
    In studying nutrition and different diets, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing is to listen and watch how my body reacts to different foods or how they are prepared (raw vs. steamed, for ex.)
    That said, though, I find replacements for white sugar/high fructose corn syrup, white flour, and white salt.  I avoid genetically modified foods and most packaged/processed foods; which means I shop organic, farmer's markets, and  grow my own food, and I make most everything from scratch. I season with a lot of differnt kinds of herbs. I also use raw milk. 
    I suppose I could continue, but those are all the biggies I can think of at the moment:)

12. livinggood profile image61
    livinggoodposted 11 years ago

After going without for a while I've learned to be grateful to be eating anything at all. Most people take for granite the fact that we are blessed to have such an abundance of food in this country. Although healthy eating is a great choice to make, in the end I'll take whatever I can get and be happy that I'm eating.

13. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

They certainly are not mutually exclusive.  I do both, there is no reason to not eat healthy and good tasting together.    Where i live we have an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables year  round,  as well as seafoods and meat without any medicines or hormones  so it is easy to eat well and as my wife and I are both good cooks we always have tasty and healthy food.  The right   amount of a few good seasonings can make any meal special.

14. SkincareExpert1 profile image60
    SkincareExpert1posted 11 years ago

Healthy food for sure! I soly buy produce at the grocery store, no dairy or meat, and I try to grow as much fresh vegetables as possible on my balcony. I am actually starting to build a verticle garden for the spring. I feel so much better when I eat healthy foods. Foods high in refined sugar and fats activate the same pleasure sensors in the brain as doing hardcore drugs....that's why it is so hard to quit the cycle...

Well I don't go without my meat but I am a vegetable lover. Good luck with the verticle garden.

15. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

Since I'm a nutritionist, I prefer to eat healthy. However, I do love my "treats." My preferred method of eating is "all natural." That would include proteins such as lean beef, chicken and turkey breast, pork tenderloin, fish, egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and tofu. My carbohydrates mostly consist of green and colorful veggies and some fruits. On occasion (usually after a workout), I may have some starches like oats, brown or wild rice, quinoa, or sweet potato with my protein. I always include dietary fats such as olive, coconut, or flax oil; butter; almond butter; walnuts, pecans, or almonds; avocados; olives; and fish oil. This may sound boring to some, but it is the healthiest and most balanced way to eat. I also use spices and marinades to bring awesome flavor to my foods.

Thanks for the tips.. Just a question how long did u have to study to become a nutritionist? I am considering that as well Just curious.

2. Abby Campbell profile image74
      Abby Campbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dorothy. It depends on what route you take. There are nutritionists and registered dieticians. Registered dieticians must receive their Masters while nutritionists can either be certified or receive their degree. You can PM me anytime.

16. georgialgal1984 profile image82
    georgialgal1984posted 11 years ago

I normally eat 80% healthy and then 20% in moderation. I have dealt with thyroid problems and learned quickly, that a healthy lifestyle is a must to overcome and control them. Hope you have a wonderful weekend~

Thank you very much you have a great weekend as well. I have my mother in law to be has tyroid problems as well what do you do to eat a little healthier to improve the tyroid issues?

17. bydojo profile image58
    bydojoposted 11 years ago

Both.

We cook at home, using fresh ingredients and making sure we eat as little 'processed' food as possible. At the same time, if we crave a burger for instance (which probably happens once every few months), we'll eat it.

Good fresh produce and ingredients make some DELICIOUS meals, so taste is actually not a problem. Getting used to cook your meals properly and not use pre-cooked stuff is harder, but the difference in taste is amazing.

I admit I have my burger cravings as well. I try to avoid some processed foods especially like chicken nuggets and so on and I also tend to cook a lot of homemade foods as well.

18. ocfireflies profile image71
    ocfirefliesposted 11 years ago

I prefer to eat healthy food that tastes good.

19. profile image0
    BillyDursensposted 11 years ago

I used to think that I watched what I ate, but yet ate very few vegetables.
      Since my heart attack in November I have made a major change in my eating habits.
       For one I have added a new love into my life, she goes by the name of Mrs. Dash and her family of seasonings.   This has served well since I had to cut out salt from my diet, now salt is not allowed at our table.
       Daily I try my very best to have at least one salad, not more than two slices of 100% whole wheat bread or muffins, mostly water to drink and veges are included in everything.
       My wife and I have a Saturday tradition of morning omlettes.  Our omlettes now consist of one small egg and 1/4 cup of egg whites, plus small portion of either chicken, tuna or salmon and a small amount of vegetables.  And our omlettes are tasty, healthy and fun.
      Sometimes instead of salad dressing on some salad I will add a small portion of turkey chili.
      If I snack I stick to things like animal crackers, 2 graham crackers or some kind of fruit.
      So to answer the question at hand, yes I try my very best to eat healthy.  A habit for which I am trying hard to convince my kids of and train my grandkids.

Good for you. And extra kudos to you for taking the time to teach your Grandkids how to eat healthy. If they grow up used to eating right then hopefully they may continue into their adult yrs. I also feel they should have a required class in school.

20. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13511121_f260.jpg

We try to eat a balanced diet including fresh fruit and wholegrain bread. Really enjoy the occasional french fries!

Also have introduced coconut oil for browning onions and adding to dishes.Use olive oil as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)