What are some ways to live frugally?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. starx profile image66
    starxposted 10 years ago

What are some ways to live frugally?

Frugal living can be hard first time when you don't know where to start. Which is the first area where you started and how it worked out for you?

2. Marla Neogra profile image77
    Marla Neograposted 10 years ago

You can easily reduce your bills and live frugally if you are willing to modify some conveniences. For instance, you can reduce your entertainment budget by getting rid of cable TV. Several options for viewing TV series' and movies are available for instant viewing through an internet connection for less than 10.00 a month, so just having internet without the cable TV shows saves you more than half of your bill usually. Another way is to not have a smart phone (we love them). It usually costs you an extra say 10.00 per phone to have a smart phone for data stream access per month. For around 40.00 per month you can have unlimited calls only or calls and texting with limits. My family can save 150.00 per month by not having smart phones and another 65.00 per month for not having cable TV with a cable box (and DVR). Thats 74.00 per month minus 8.99 for Netflix equaling a 65.00 savings. We use a PS III hooked to our TV for viewing, but this can also be accomplished through most newer gaming systems or an S video cable from laptop or computer to TV.
    Other ways are to have travel cups and take your beverage with you rather than stopping for a drink. Most drinks are very expensive these days when you total up the cost over a week. If you make a list of all the things you need during the course of a couple of days and restrict your shopping to one or two days per week you will save gas which equates to dollars saved per week as well. Make your own dog and cat treats and throw all your change into a big jar or can. Only use it to deposit into your savings account and you will watch your account grow over time. Finally, do not use credit cards. If you cannot pay for it you do not need it. Pay bills first, shop at Salvation Army, Goodwill, Thrift Stores, Habitat for Humanity ReStore and consignment shops.
    I hope these suggestions help you. These are only some of the ways we save in order to survive in this tough economy.

3. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 10 years ago

All you need do is read my Hub, Living Frugally . . . A Way of Life that won Hub of the Day and was one of the very first Hubs I ever wrote, to answer the question.

When you learn to live frugally and grow your own food and eat your own livestock, you won't go back to buying food at the grocery store. I have owned the same car for eight years, no car payments and have learned to save at least $5,000.00 a year, it's the only way to go but is not for the faint of heart!

1. Ericajean profile image73
      Ericajeanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow. It is definitely not for the faint of heart- but the savings are amazing!

4. Shona Venter profile image60
    Shona Venterposted 10 years ago

Although many people may think that their life will be dull and boring when they live frugally, this is in fact far from the truth. When you decide to live frugally, you may find yourself having to make sacrifices on luxury items such as fancy meals out or expensive club or gym memberships. However, in many cases, you can learn to enjoy a home cooked meal for a fraction of the cost of a restaurant meal. There are many cheaper or even free ways to get your exercise such as teaming up with a friend and walking your dogs (and children if you have any) or even working in your garden.

Hubby and I started living frugally by cutting back on expensive grocery items and substituting them for store brands. In most cases, we didn't even notice a difference. We now also enjoy shopping at thrift stores when we need to purchase items for the home. In most cases, these items can be purchased for pennies on the dollar in these stores and they are sometimes almost new.

5. Ericajean profile image73
    Ericajeanposted 10 years ago

Some bills have payment plans based on how much energy you use. For instance the power company in my state offers a low plan based on how much wattage you use in a year and you only pay that one flat fee per month. If you are not in a room, there should be no lights on-save energy that way.

My husband and I have bought furniture from Youth Challenge and other thrifty stores. We no longer do payment plans and saved a lot of money. A two piece furniture set cost us less than $180! And it was in excellent shape, barely used and gorgeous.

Also, we find deals online for food and other items. Mommysavesbig.com and extreme couponing helps(haven't tried the extreme thing yet). When it comes to foods we try not to go too expensive but also not too cheap. We go to Dollar stores for foods that are cheaper and use coupons for other food items. Walmart and Food Lion are okay but we watch the dollar signs.

No cable. We do not have cable, but what we watch is on Hulu or other internet channels. We should not have to pay for cable. It is a luxury. I have one simple cell phone that is prepaid and it works perfectly- also a luxury.

I'm sure there are other ways to live frugally and am open to new ideas!

6. profile image0
    MelonieGilchristposted 10 years ago

I price match at the grocery store and purchase produce from the reduced rack.

7. Shona Venter profile image60
    Shona Venterposted 10 years ago

Thanks to the economic downturn, frugal living has again become extremely popular. While many people think that living frugally involves deprivation, this couldn't be further from the truth. read more

8. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

I almost never shop at top-name grocery stores. I have learned to modify my food preferences to match my level of spending. You can find many of the same foods you like at comparative qualities at lower cost grocers.

1. Ericajean profile image73
      Ericajeanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly...like Save a Lot or some dollar stores. Good point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)