Menopause hot flashes at a regular time every day?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Georgie Lowery profile image91
    Georgie Loweryposted 10 years ago

Menopause hot flashes at a regular time every day?

Although I am a little young for this, I think I may at least be perimenopausal (I was a VERY early bloomer.) . Among other symptoms are these freaking hot flashes. They're not ruining my life (yet) but, for the last few weeks, I start to feel like I am burning up sometime between 10:30 PM and midnight. My question is, if this is a symptom of peri-menopause or the fully leaded variety, is it normal to have these hot flashes on a schedule? I never have any problems during the day and it really only lasts for about an hour. Yes, I am consulting with my doctor soon, I was just curious.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8062739_f260.jpg

2. debfrench profile image58
    debfrenchposted 10 years ago

Hot flashes are one of the most talked about symptoms of Menopause. About 80% of the women in America experience hot flashes and night sweats during menopause. The body produces less estrogen and progesterone during menopause, but these fluctuating levels can instigate menopausal symptoms. Hot flashes can last from a few seconds to a few minutes; and in some cases is known to last half an hour to one hour. Most women have hot flashes and night sweats lasting from two months to two years, and in some rare cases they continue to have them for up to a decade after menopause.

The severity of hot flashes that a woman experiences depends on lifestyle and psychological factors.  Some women really sweat, while others may only perspire. Following hot flashes, some women have headaches, feel dizzy, weak, tired or lose sleep, experience palpitations and skipped or erratic heartbeats. It is always advisable to consult your doctor, as to whether these are symptoms of menopause or a sign of other illness or a medical condition.

Hot Flashes and Night Sweats – The Causes and Remedies

Many women do nothing and can easily cope with hot flashes, while and others have a more difficult time. Hot flashes and night sweats can trigger interrupted sleep, insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety and depression. Categorized as mild, moderate or severe; mild hot flashes produce a feeling of warmth for less than a minute, and with little or no perspiration.  Moderate flashes produce more warmth and a little perspiration and last for two to three minutes. Severe hot flashes produce intense heat and sweat and last longer.

Spicy food, alcoholic drinks, hot drinks, white sugar (can also cause palpitations), hot weather, stress, hot tubs and saunas, tobacco, marijuana and unexpressed anger can cause hot flashes. Hot flashes are known to deplete Vitamin B, Vitamin C, magnesium and potassium in our bodies, and there is a need to increase the intake of these nutrients, including calcium. For mild hot flashes, a daily dosage of 400 to 800 IU of Vitamin E is recommended.

Most women start a daily dose of 600 to 800 IU of Vitamin E with Vitamin C, and when the flashes subside, take 400 IU. Vitamin E has been effective on 50% to 60% of women, and it takes around two to six weeks for the effects to show. Vitamin E is contraindicated with certain medical conditions, such as, diabetes, high blood pressure, or with rheumatic heart conditions, history of hypertension, etc, and it is

1. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deb, thank you for the info. But is it normal for them to occur at almost the exact same time every day?

3. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 10 years ago

I have just been through one year of very miserable hot flashes. My gynecologist told me to get off the estrogen replacement therapy I was on and shortly thereafter I began having hot flashes off and on throughout the day and night. I live in a tropical climate, so it was doubly hot and humid and I developed a bad case of insomnia. Just recently I had my new doctor do a hormone profile on me. It was very revealing and I was put on hormone creams made at a compounding pharmacy. My hot flashes have subsided and I now am dealing with my insomnia. It is so nice to not be the only person in the room fanning myself like crazy. Ask to have a hormone profile and get help. It is not worth all the suffering. There is help. Aloha!

4. mbwalz profile image86
    mbwalzposted 10 years ago

I used to work for Women to Women and learned more about perimenopasal symptoms than I ever thought I'd need to know. But the info has kept me sane during my own transition period. I'm 49.

In general, there are four reasons for hot flashes: Very hot temperatures, stimulants like caffeine, high carb intake, and stress.

All of these contribute to too much estrogen. Even though perimenopaus is a transition from the high levels of baby-making estrogen to the low levels of the type we need later in life and is made in other parts of the body to keep us healthy, estrogen can be produced in body fat - yet one more reason to stay trim. Also, be careful of artificial substances your body mistakes as estrogen like chemicals and growth hormones, artificial fertilizer.

Most women can do very well controlling their symptoms by following a lower carb diet. Make sure to get plenty of good fats, adequate protein and small amounts of healthy carbs (like no more than 14 gms/meal, 7 gms for your snack). Always eat the three macronutrients together at each meal/snack. Eliminate as many processed foods as possible, exercise MODERATELY and be sure to get plenty of rest.

So, take a look at what you are doing that late at night. Are you having a high carb snack before bed? Remember even a glass of skim milk will be processed like a high sugar food. Are you over tired? Is your room too hot? Are you watching stimulating and stressful tv before you go to bed? Once you've identified these things, you can begin to change your habits and I bet your hot flashes will get better!

5. artist101 profile image61
    artist101posted 10 years ago

Yes, it's normal. The reason they happen at night is because our hormones rise slowly during the day, then drop out at night. Hense the name- night sweats. If it is perimenopause then usually progesterone that has changed. Usually all that is needed is progesterone cream, applied to the thin layers of skin daily. If it is meno- usually estrogen, and progesterone. Can be obtained from soy, and wild yam, along with progesterone cream. I had a tubal when I was 36, and forced me into early menopause, along with other physical causes. Real simple way to know? If you cry easily, estrogen. If you are a B**** progesterone. really not that hard. Hot flashes is only one of the symptoms, among the others? Heart palpitations, itching, anxiety, and nervousness, as well as many others.
    Other recommendations flaxseed oil, up to 2000mg a day. Helps to balance hormones. Neither dominating the other. Holistic approaches always seek to balance, not dominate the way synthetic hormones do. Premarin is an example of this. Estrogen that dominates, and causes reproductive cancer. The naturals do not do this. They balance hormones, without the risk of cancer.
    http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/menap … e-meltdown

1. artist101 profile image61
      artist101posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Georgie Lowery for the best answer vote. I hope my recommendations help you. smile

6. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

I am in M city.  Hot flashes constantly, either have on a fan or air conditioner year round.  Hair growing in places it has never grown before and periodless periods.  Not under any medication, I am just riding it out!  Well, I am in M city but THAT'S not going to change my outlook in life.  I am still spicy and youthful.  I shall NEVER be an old lady, NEVER!

7. profile image52
    sonamgupta2107posted 6 years ago

Hi dear. I have had a similar experience in the distant past, and it was a mystery. Is it related to the time of day when you take your estradiol, which sounds like you take a pill? Are you more active around then? Do you routinely ingest possible trigger food around then, like alcohol or spicy things? If you still have night sweats, your dose may be a bit low for you in general. But it does sound like your estrogen is a bit low. Can you try a small tweak and give it ample time to work? The natural rise and fall of estrogen usually have most women having a hot flash around 4 or 5 am. Some women aren't bothered because they know they are on the lower end of their optimal dose. However, if you are having night sweats then it sounds like you need a small bump up. I will suggest you meet and consult a gynecologist as soon as possible if you are facing the problem from a long time. Be safe and stay blessed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)