What has been your favourite Martial Arts film you've ever seen?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Souther29 profile image82
    Souther29posted 10 years ago

What has been your favourite Martial Arts film you've ever seen?

There have been so many great ones over the past 30-40 years and wanted to see what the community thinks their favourite one is. Who knows, it may help us all discover new ones to see. To start the ball rolling mine would be Drunken Master (1978) with Jackie Chan. One of his early films but amazing choreography by Yuen-Woo Ping, funny and Jackie at his acrobatic best.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

"Enter the dragon" starring Bruce Lee. Directed by Robert Clouse.

Souther29posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Enter the Dragon is a classic film. Always a great one in my mind.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

When I was a kid I saw a lot of them but the ones that really stood out were "Enter the Dragon", "The Chinese Connection", "Fist of Fury" and the all time  classic "Five Fingers of Death" (which is credited for starting the craze in the U.S. during the early 70s.)
    Naturally Bruce Lee was my favorite martial arts actor going all the way back to his days of playing the role of Kato in The Green Hornet television show during the 1960s.

Bruce Lee really was an ambassador for bringing martial arts to the West. He even taught many famous U.S. actors at the time. Whilst plots were fairly thin, they more than made up for entertaining and blisteringly fast action.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

dashingscorpio
      Bruce Lee was my favorite actor, too. I had all of his films, posters of him, etc. I watch him in the Green Hornet these days on Saturday morning.

4. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

Since everyone is saying Enter the Dragon, which is a great pick, I'll try to widen the brim a little.  I've been a huge fan of "Bloodsport" with Jean-Claude, "Best of the Best", "Mortal Kombat" and "The Legend of Drunken Master" with Jackie Chan.

I loved Mortal Kombat as was a bit fan of the game. Legend of Drunken Master was a fantastic sequel and the end fight sequence alone was easily worth the price of admission.

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

The old school movies "Enter the Dragon," "Fists of Fury," and "Black Belt Jones" are always fun to watch on a Saturday afternoon. But if I had to pick a cinematic favorite, it would have to be "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." It was the first martial arts movie that I saw with fierce women in lead roles.

I really like Fist of Fury out of Bruce Lee's sadly short catalogue. You're right, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon certainly showcased some great female martial arts stars like Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. Thanks for sharing!

2. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Souther29, you are right. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon certainly showcased some great female martial arts stars like Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. Only thing is that both of them are NOT martial artists. I think they use their dancing skills, LOL.

3. Chris Qu profile image76
      Chris Quposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Walter, true. But remember Yeoh couldn't even speak Mandarin when she did that movie. She learned her lines phonetically. It worked because she can act. The same way she puts on great movie-fights without being a real fighter. Better than most, even.

6. Rosana Modugno profile image74
    Rosana Modugnoposted 10 years ago

I am a fan of Kurosawa, so I have to say my fave movie is The 7 Samurai.  But I also loved Yojimbo, which is my kind of movie.  Sure The Bruce Lee films are awesome and so are Jackie Chan but I find that when you get to the heart of martial arts, you have to get back to the actual place where the heart sits, and I love Japanese film in regards to martial arts, sword fighting, etc.  smile

I've seen The 7 Samurai and have Yojimbo on my list. I have to say I personally have not seen so many Japanese martial arts films compared to Chinese or Thai but I agree Japan has a very rich heritage and the Samurai are an icon of Japan.

2. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't seen "The Seven Samurai."  Thank you for reminding me that I wanted to do that.

7. Chris Qu profile image76
    Chris Quposted 10 years ago

Oh man, this is my kind of question!

Absolutely, without a doubt, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000). The story is touching, the fight choreography is amazing, and the cinematography is jaw-dropping. It raised the bar for all martial arts movies to me, personally.

Other movies I've seen that I thought were nearly as good, but not quite there include Chocolate (2008), Hero (2002), and the Wuxia classic, A Touch of Zen (1969).

The best martial arts movie I've seen from America is The Forbidden Kingdom (2008). The art direction in that movie is just unbelievable, and it has really solid fights with Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

Rosana's answer is good -- you can never go wrong with Kurosawa, since he's a masterful film maker. I don't personally consider him to be a maker of martial arts films though. I think the scenes of martial arts prowess are a rarity in his films; one watches Kurosawa films for reasons other than action.

Glad you like it! CTHD was a film so many could enjoy, young and old. I need to see A Touch of Zen. The fight scene between JL and JC was good to see, but not as good as I was expecting... maybe expectations too high! I enjoyed Chocolate too!

2. profile image0

Agreed.  I've enjoyed reading through the answers on this post, and I have commented here more than I've ever done before.  Who doesn't love martial arts flicks? ;-}

8. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 10 years ago

Bruce Lee is my favorite. I still viewed them. Next will be Jackie Chan.

2 amazing martial artists right there. If you like these check out Tony Jaa, Wu Jing or Donnie Yen... three others who are well worth having a look at.

9. Abhinav Narang profile image62
    Abhinav Narangposted 10 years ago

There have been an ample number of movies in the martial arts field, as we see that action, especially martial arts, is the favorite genre of movies and the people too.
    There have been many great movies like Fist of Fury, Black Belt Jones, Bloodsport, The Forbidden Kingdom and many more. But by far the best is 'Enter The Dragon'. A magical and epic saga by Bruce Lee (believed to be the fastest and the strongest martial artist ever by many), this movie owns all the credit in making Chinese martial arts famous around the globe. Its action scenes are still reckoned and the legacy of Bruce Lee still continues.
    The second rank goes to the Ip Man series by Donnie Yen. The fast and accurate martial artist Ip Man's (also called Yip Man) life has been portrayed beautifully in these pictures. The fighting sequences of these films are a pleasure to watch for the action freaks. And moreover, Bruce Lee was a disciple of Yip Man in real life too. I recommend this movie to everyone who likes Enter The Dragon

I was hoping someone would mention Ip Man. As a former Wing Tsun practitioner myself, it was a film I loved watching, recognising lots of the movements and forms. Donnie Yen did a very good job at portraying this and some great fight scenes.

2. profile image0

Ip Man, you say?  I have a bunch of Wing Chun study materials myself, and have been wanting to start delving into them.  Maybe I'll check these out for inspiration.

3. Souther29 profile image82

It's nice to see the movements in practice on the big screen. One of the earlier films I think was actually called Wing Chun with Michelle Yeoh in the 90s but was more of a comedy. Ip Man has a good story and there is also a sequel. It's intense.

10. tiptopelectronics profile image57
    tiptopelectronicsposted 10 years ago

Bruce Lee was an awesome but now we have too many martial art stars like Jet lee,Tony Jha, Jason stat hem, Van Damm while there are long list of good martial art movie but 5 best martial art movies are "36 chambers in the shaowline", "matrix", "Blood Sport" "iron monkey" and jet lee starer "once upon a time in china".
    I hope all you guy like these movies.

Iron Monkey was a good film and the Once Upon a Time in China series I enjoyed a lot also. Funnily, Jackie Chan actually sung the opening song in the OUATIC films!

2. tiptopelectronics profile image57
      tiptopelectronicsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yeh! Jackie Chain is the  most popular martial art actor in china.

11. PoeticPhilosophy profile image77
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

Without a doubt, Ip Man. "Yip Man" was Bruce lee's trainer who had taught him for 5 year's in Wing Chun Kung Fu, it is a emotional, exciting, life pathic movie. Even my brother who HATES Martial Arts movie's LOVED it, it became his new favourite movie. I high recommend it to everyone smile.

Very good film. I was looking forward to it for a while and they definitely made a good choice with Donnie. He played the role very well indeed.

12. Jared Miles profile image69
    Jared Milesposted 10 years ago

The best martial arts film I've ever seen, is any martial arts film that I've ever seen, I love them all. They're simply an inspiration. It (sometimes) doesn't even matter who acts in them, or if it's English, as long as it captures the essence of martial arts as a sport, and as a way of life.

Nice answer Jared Miles. There's nothing quite like discovering a great Martial Art film which has relatively unknown actors. I remember the first time I saw Ong Bak which could have easily gone under the radar but was groundbreaking.

13. residentstone profile image58
    residentstoneposted 10 years ago

Jet li is god like, his early asian releases are out of control, my favorite 2 are Tai Chi Master also known as Twin Warriors, and Fist of Legend, god like fighting in these 2. Anything Jet is in is usually good.

American wise, Jeff Speakman in Perfect Weapon.

Any young Jean Claud stuff.

Seaguls first few movies are good too.

Chuck Norris in the Octagon and Silent Rage.

Thanks for the comment. Even though I'm a big Jet Li fan had no idea Twin Warriors was the same as Tai Chi Master (have it on my iphone!) Thanks! Fist of Legend I love. I don't know Jeff Speakman so will check him out:-)

2. residentstone profile image58
      residentstoneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah man, The Perfect Weapon is super dope! Jeff Speakman uses  American kenpo karate and Japanese Goju-Ryu, and he is no joke in this film. Honorable mention to IP man, great fighting in that.

14. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

I grew up watching 'Enter the Dragon',  'Fists if Fury' , etc. and all of those starring Bruce Lee. My two favorites were Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris against each other since they were real and not actors, but since your question was about films - not actors - I would say that I like 'The Karate Kid'. I have recorded that and watched it over and over.

The Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris fight was a great one. Another Karate Kid fan. Wax on, wax off:-) Mr Miyagi was awesome.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I loved the way Mr. MiYagi, (Pat Morita), said "Show me wax on, wax off", "Sanda floor" and the kid disappeared. LOL

3. profile image0

Speaking of Chuck "Total Gym" Norris, did you ever see "Hero and the Terror?"  That movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid...

15. TheRaptorClaw profile image60
    TheRaptorClawposted 10 years ago

My favorite is The Karate Kid. Not the new one but the old one.

1. residentstone profile image58

Guys, I love the Karate Kid as much as the next guy, buts its more of a feel good buddy movie, and not so much a "martial arts flick", just sayin.

2. Souther29 profile image82

I'd tend to agree with you there Residentstone but thanks for joining in the conversation TheRaptorClaw. All I'll say is that if you enjoyed the old Karate Kid there is a wealth of other more traditional Martial Arts films out there for you to enjoy!

3. TheRaptorClaw profile image60
      TheRaptorClawposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well I like it anyway and I see it as a martial arts movies but everyone is entitled to your own opinion. I just don't appreciate being put down by you. If you don't like the movie or think it is martial arts then keep it to yourself please

4. residentstone profile image58

Wasnt putting you down. Love the movie. Martial arts movies, have martial artists in them, Ralph Macchio, is not, nor is Happy Days diner owner guy, Pat something something. Sorry.

5. profile image0

Sweep the leg, Johnny!

16. Nicole Danielle profile image52
    Nicole Danielleposted 10 years ago

Mine would be Blood and Bone, that came out in 2009. smile

I haven't seen Blood and Bone so another one for me to check out:-) Thanks!

17. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 10 years ago

One of my favorite is, The Last Samurai, 2003, with Tom Cruise. Don't know if you consider this a true martial arts movie, but it was an epic story.

1. residentstone profile image58

Great movie, but no. I dug it a lot, but not  a martial arts flick. imho.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To all: I will look into seeing, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Enter the Dragon...thanks for recommending.

3. profile image0

A lot of Bushido themes in the movie, though, and a compelling portrayal of Japanese samurai culture.  I enjoyed it, immensely.

4. Souther29 profile image82

Go for it Lupine! Both fantastic films. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon may blow you away. Check out Hero too if you find you enjoy that one.

18. Diana Lee profile image74
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

Steven Seagal films are the best you'll see when it comes to action packed fight scenes. His work spans over 22 years and he has made more than forty movies.  Steven Seagal also appeared in the two television series.  His recent work is the 2012 movies, Maximum Conviction and Urban Warfare.

1. profile image0

I liked some of Seagal's earlier stuff: "Hard to Kill," "Above the Law," "Marked for Death," and "Under Siege" especially {Also, what was that one where he was an Eskimo ninja assassin??}.  My dad and I used to watch those movies together.

2. Souther29 profile image82

Seagal definitely has his place and really like some of his earlier films too. He's a genuine Aikido master. He has done so many films it's hard to keep track of them for me!

19. Mr. Thinktank profile image69
    Mr. Thinktankposted 10 years ago

I don't know if you've seen Oldboy, but if you are looking at interesting action sequences there is a long take scene in there that is absolutely unique and powerful. If you like watching foreign films I would definitely recommend this one for that one scene and for the story. I know this might not necessarily be what you are looking for, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

I have indeed, it's a great powerful sequence and a gem of a film. Good recommendation:-)

20. profile image0
    Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years ago

"Bloodsport."  That movie changed my life.  It doesn't hold a candle to the aesthetic beauty of movies like "Crouching Tiger...," and "Hero," and I won't even attempt to argue it's merits over more well-respected classics.  But, what can I say?  Those flashback training sequences get me every time!

That's the good thing about Martial Arts films. There is a nice variety of styles and types to satisfy many. Everyone loves a flashback sequence:-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)