What was your dream job as a child, and how does it relate to what you do now?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. rusticyeti profile image64
    rusticyetiposted 10 years ago

What was your dream job as a child, and how does it relate to what you do now?

2. Mercia Collins profile image66
    Mercia Collinsposted 10 years ago

I wanted to be a writer, a mum or a nun. I never became a mum or a nun but I did become a writer.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

Hello rusticyeti. This is a great question to ponder. Much is offered for pondering. Forget dream job for a bit and a byte. Dreaming as a child I am leaning toward at this moment. The farthest back I can remember dreaming of doing something is about the first grade. I dreamed of being an explorer. That was about the time we got a TV set. That was a big event. Seems TV made an impression.

Add that to the books first being read one may ponder. We had bookmobile's in those days. What an adventure of exploring the inside of a bookmobile. Seems if I remember rightly or correctly maybe two or three books was the limit between visits. Those adventures could be two, three, or more and each a different adventure with the same book.

Shows like Huckleberry Hound, Howdy Doody, Disney on Sunday with a bowl of popcorn between the whole family, and on special nights sitting with dad watching Sea Hunt comes to mind. Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyan and Babe the Ox, and more were being introduced. The most vivid memory before that time was near to 3 or 4 and flying in an airplane with a friend of my dad's.

So, dreaming of being something then, well, was being an explorer. So, I climbed trees and went on neighborhood adventures. The MP's brought me home once or twice. (Military Police since we lived in a Marine Corp housing project). Mom would get worried if I was exploring for too long once or twice.

I really don't think I understood what a job was. I do know I knew the difference between being a dad who was "enlisted" and those who dad's that were referred to as officers. Nothing about jobs and such, only about status and knowing your place. There are some childhood stories surrounding that theme. Playground stuff. Consider then was near to 1960 - 62 for first grade and second grade as a child.

How does that relate to what I do now. I still explore. I research different subjects all the time. I map the studies with writing, stats, and imagery. I explore unknowns seeking the known. Then, I share more often than not with someone. That is when they become a given for their exploration.

Next, I listen usually, or look over those maps I made. Re-read the adventure of exploring. Then, decide the next adventure. Sometimes that takes a bit and a byte. Sometimes, since as an explorer you travel light you go back upon horseback and maybe with a wagon.

Arriving at each trail marker you make sure others can read it. Sometimes those trails are pathways and sometimes not.

tim

4. Mel Carriere profile image87
    Mel Carriereposted 10 years ago

I think if you are using this site, the obvious answer is that you wanted to be a writer, because I think most of us dreamed of being writers from the first time we cracked open a book and were held in awe of it.  But being a writer is not really a job, it is a passion.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone using this site wanted to be a writer. Some people write as a means to an end. Some people do it just to make money.

5. LensMan999 profile image59
    LensMan999posted 10 years ago

As a child I used to have big big dreams. My dreams had no limits. But I was not able to reach upto those dreams. Yet I am satisfied with the life I live now and with the job I do.
    May be there is still time for those dreams to come true.

6. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Writer. And I am living that dream! I briefly wanted to be a doctor but that was because every child wanted to be either a doctor, teacher or policeman. As soon as I could read on my own I started scribbling little stories and knew that's what I wanted to do.

7. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 10 years ago

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger.  I am not one now, but I believe that I am exploring life and challenging myself in any way that I can.

8. Shawn McIntyre profile image82
    Shawn McIntyreposted 10 years ago

I wanted to play 2nd base for the Pirates. Now, I watch them on T.V. and criticize the 2nd baseman (just kidding, Walker is doing a great job this year).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)