Why is it OK to have "Black History Month" but not "White History Month"?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (132 posts)
  1. Cas Merchant profile image60
    Cas Merchantposted 10 years ago

Why is it OK to have "Black History Month" but not "White History Month"?

It just seems like reverse discrimination to me. If everyone wants to be 'equal', why the double standard? This is not coming from a racist person, either. I'm just curious...I wish we could all just put the past behind us and be equals.

2. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

I agree that it is racist to have days or months dedicated to any particular race. It is also a waste of time & money.
    I think the same is true of special classes in schools. There should just be history and it should include all relevant history. When I was in school the only students who took black history were blacks so it wasn't getting "black history" across to anyone else. Seems to defeat the purpose of having everyone see the contributions of blacks in history to me.

1. teamrn profile image59
      teamrnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe that whatever that heritage is we ought to celebrate not just one month of the year., but year round. Blacks have tremendous cultural significance and history; teach us. Whites the same and we should all be educating each other-NO EXCLUSION

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

That's what the other 11 months are for! LOL!
    Seriously just about every minority in America has it's own time/form of recognition to remind it's group of the contributions that were made by it's people histrorically. The goal is for them to take pride in those accomplishments and  "inspire" the youth of their group to strive to do more and become a good example.
    This was determined to be very important to a group of people who had been stripped of it's history, mentally and physically beat down while being told they were 3/5ths of man or lacked the intelligence or ability to accomplish certain things.
    In no way is Black History month, The National Puerto Rican Day Parade, The Irish American Heritage Festival (in Chicago), or  The Chinese New Year celebrations are meant to be "racist". Everyone is welcome to celebrate during those events. Ultimately the goal is to inspire future generations of the various cultures to make positive contributions to our society as a whole.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good to see a sane person under this question smile I feel the question is a loaded one just meant to cause conflict.

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Uninvited and chef, you remind me of my Ida W. Moose  http://dianetrotter.hubpages.com/hub/whiteheroine  whom I love dearly.  The partnership and courage of many, many white people have been important throughout the struggle for equal rights

3. rhondakim profile image71
      rhondakimposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Uninvited Writer.  Thank you for your well-written reply, dashingscorpio!

4. ashtonspen profile image61
      ashtonspenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great answer dashingscorpio.

5. faith_love_hope32 profile image60
      faith_love_hope32posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more. You summed it up well! My first thought was that that's about the only month in school that I remember learning about African American history. Great answer!

6. dianetrotter profile image61

I'm open to hearing what type of activities we should do for white history month.

7. Wayne Brown profile image80
      Wayne Brownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And the assumption is that the white people made everything therefore it would be wrong for them to celebrate at all?  Don 't give that  "other eleven months cop- out!

8. taburkett profile image58
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The goal should be to unite the AMERICAN CULTURE - not divide it through race-bating. My ancestors (white, off-white, brown, tan, purple, black, gray, etc.) were and are AMERICAN PATRIOTS first. That provides us with the best culture ever formed.

9. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dashing, lovely answer!  I'm going to be celebrating International Left-Handers' Day next week, August 13. Even belonging to a little sub-group  like this satisfies a need we all have for feeling a relationship with people who share our experience.

4. cebutouristspot profile image77
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

This is just my opinion.  I think its not discrimination per se but a reminder how we as a civilization have overcome the said discrimination.

Its a reflection on our own past so that we wont stumble to the same situation again.  Sadly, discrimination still happen unless these values are address this reminder is for nothing

5. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

Every culture wants recognition. American history is recognized every day. It is taught in schools. Recognition is given to modern achievers, inventors, technology, medicine, science, space. Very little recognition is given to minorities for their contributions. A lot of them have worked for corporations or on engineering staffs, but the organization gets the credit. It's obvious that whites have major contributions every year and throughout history, but you have to dig up any information to find minority contributions. This is due in part because the minorities arrived in America much later and at a time when it was common to not give them any respect or recognition. The intention was to promote the idea that they were not intelligent. So their inventions were almost never highlighted publicly. By the way, this is an interesting question but it will be removed.

1. dianetrotter profile image61

Right Sri!  I think there is also a misconception of what happens during Black History Month.  I taught a unit on Africans settling in Mexico.  90% of my students are Hispanic.  We study fusion of music styles, foods, clothing, etc.

2. teamrn profile image59

Your first sentence is a thought-provoker, "American history is recognized every day. It is taught in schools...." Are we discussing RACE or country?

3. taburkett profile image58

We should teach that it was a white Republican President in 1976 that was first ever federal recognition of Black History after signing the bill that provides it.  Reagan, another republican signed a bill making it permanent.  REAL AMERICANS

4. teamrn profile image59

This isn't  a Republican or Democrat issue; it is a common sense issue that doesn't need to be negotiated. The more that is forced on us, the more human nature resents it and it has the wrong effect.

5. dianetrotter profile image61

Teamrn, do you teach elementary school.  I'm interested in how you recognize American history every day.  Starting middle school, courses are single subject and textbooks are used.  Supplemental material can be added but it isn't mandated.

6. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

In simple terms everyone has the right to fight for what they believe in, whether it be based on past oppression, brutality, injustice, inequality. Political agendas apart, humans have been holding protest marches since....when?
    Black, white, jew, christian, gay, transexual, ex coalminer,eco-warrior........we should applaud the fact that most western systems nowadays tolerate such protests.

Thank you chef.  You are courageous!

Everyone has the right; agreed. But in these times of racial and ethnic division, I think we really need to pick our celebrations after a lot of thought and CELEBRATE; then teach what we've learned. I'm not denying anyone the right to celebrate.

Citizens should not divide the nation through race-bating. Intelligence is not achieved through negativism, but positive action. We should never applaud those that wish to destroy the nation through such actions. Patriots do not destroy, they build.

7. mintinfo profile image65
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

America operates by a "melting pot" principle for social engineering. In reality that means that every culture must fade to a White-Euro-Anglo standard. There are also unnatural forces that drive the trend such as economics and religion. The result is a society that operates by the principles of the dominent culture. Minor cultures are then forced to fight for recognition, hence a "Black History Month" and the like.

For Black people it is a time to reflect on their history and contributions to the dominant culture. They first, do not want their history to be forgotton by their children and second, they want mainstream society to recognize important contributions that they have made in all aspects of society, not just in sports and entertainment which is evident everyday.

I agree with you mintinfo.  I thank cas merchant for providing opportunity for input.  I will now unfollow because of racist comments people are to ignorant to realize they are making.  Cas thank you for hiding a comment!  Great call!

2. mintinfo profile image65
      mintinfoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A lot of people non't think logically, they function by idealism. They are quick to hate instead of analizing human nature and the driving forces that compell us to focus on and judge each others differences.

3. teamrn profile image59

" In reality that means that every culture must fade to a White-Euro-Anglo standard." It doesn't mean that at all. Maybe to you, but I came from a city that celebrated ethnic diversity; but ethnic diversity does not need to mean DIVISIVENESS.

8. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 10 years ago

If there were no Black History Month, how would African Americans know about their ancestors contributions to society.  When I went to school, there were no black people in textbooks period. 

After all these years, there are those who say a) AA's don't work, b) AA's get food stamps, c) AA's are violent and commit crimes, d) AA's are not smart, e) AA's only got jobs because of affirmative action, f) AA's are on welfare, g) AA's are lazy, etc.

What is inexplicable is for these stereotypes to perpetuate even though blacks have come from slavery to be graduate from college, have high ranking positions in government and private companies, make discoveries beneficial to the economy, and show admirable traits and accomplishments ... against all odds.

There are black people that do bad things.  There are black people that do good things.  There are white people that do bad things.  There are white people that do good things.  I can go down the line to Native Americans, Hispanics, Asians, etc.

This AC360 video is very telling about stereotypes: http://www.upworthy.com/if-this-is-how- … amp;c=ufb1

When all people are appreciated for what they contribute to society, there won't be a need for ethnic celebrations and recognition.  What do you know about the contributions of African Americans?  What do you know about the contributions of Native Americans?  What do you know about the contributions of Mexicans?  I broke it down to make my point.

I love the idea of acculturation.  Let's interweave all people in the mosaic of history so we won't have to have separate learning opportunities to have self esteem and aspire to greatness.

1. S Leretseh profile image61
      S Leretsehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Members of congress saying "happy black history month"? MSM saying the same? Sinister motives at work here. As for learning black history, the INTERNET is loaded with black history.  I've spent countless hours learning about BH from this source

S. Leretseh, you make a good point.  It's on the Internet.  Why isn't it taught in school.  Have you read the racist comments under positive articles.  GM had to remove comments from Cheerios commercial w/ mixed family.

3. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am so happy to see that you shared your real life experience of having no black people in school textbooks shared here. You have raised very good points and hopefully have challenged some to think with your questions here as well smile

4. dianetrotter profile image61

Thank you Express!  It's been a while.  I haven't posted for 6 or  months.

5. taburkett profile image58

Youth should learn the contributions the same way my ancestors do, by passing the activities of the great Chiefs/Braves from parent to child.  But this would require the parents to be interact with children instead of the biased destruction.

6. teamrn profile image59

How would AA learn of their culture? Their parents, their schools, churches for starters. Same way everyone else learns. Factual misrepresentations (food stamps myth) won't be dispelled by looking inward); rather by presenting facts  OUTWARD..

7. dianetrotter profile image61

Taburkett are you Native American?  Chiefs/Braves - interesting words.  I learned about white leaders and contributors - I suppose your ancestors.  I've learned more about Native Americans by teaching past the 10 years than all 62 years of my life.

9. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

The only way we will ever get past racism and sexism is by stopping the need to get extra things. Everyone has equal rights (as a whole) now so all the separate months should stop. There is no need for black history month or months to recognize women. After all we (USA) fought for equal rights and now have them. It's time to be acknowledged the same way every one else is. After all that's what we wanted. There should be no black history month, no white history month, no woman's month. If everyone must continue to harp on past issues have a parade.

1. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Everybody has equal rights on paper, but women and minorities are not necessarily given the same recognition in schools for their historic contributions. Can you name 20 Native American inventions or 30 inventions by women?

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can actually but how many people can realistically name 30 White inventors? I agree about schools however they should mix those in with the rest instead of making a special month for them.

toboggan-totem pole-tepees-pueblo-igloo-kayaks-canoe-tomahawk-spear-knife-lacrosse-peace pipe-bows-arrows-arrow heads-hulahoop-moccasins-snow shoes- flute-tiki-ukulele-smoke signal-rattles-clapper sticks-sea shell trumpet-mukluks-parka-logographs

We try to bridge racial divide, right? That's out goal. More segregation and fingerprinting, even with good reason,isn't going to be producti; only make the divide bigger.

5. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sri T, can you name them? If not, then why haven't to educated yourself on a topic you feel is important and shared that information?

10. vveasey profile image70
    vveaseyposted 10 years ago

Because for hundreds of years the contributions of "black" people in the history of America was deemed unworthy of inclusion in American history books.

The doctrine of white supremacy and the inferiority of not just "blacks" but "Indians" (who were actually the majority group before white Europeans "wiped" most of them out" and other so-called minorities was the reigning doctrine of the country.
    So "black" history month was a way of trying redress that imbalance

You don't need "white" history month because that's the dominant history we all taught in school. We already know that history.

"unworthy of inclusion"  Liberal hogwash. Blacks were not considered unworthy.  Whites wrote THEIR history. Blacks needed to write their history.  Two separate and very distinct groups. White supremacy? More liberal hogwash. Blacks were a FREE people

2. vveasey profile image70
      vveaseyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

S Leretseh
      you sound angry and hostile and not open to any view of this topic but your own which seems to be everything is "Liberal Hogwash".
      How could enslaved blacks write their own history?

"the contributions of "black" people in the history of America was deemed unworthy of inclusion in "  For hundreds of years, that was true, but not anymore.

4. taburkett profile image58

discrimination in any form should be considered against the law. Patriotic Americans do not need a special interest month declared-they support all citizens regardless of race, sexual orientation, age, or economic status. REAL AMERICANS.

11. Shawn McIntyre profile image81
    Shawn McIntyreposted 10 years ago

First of all, I need to agree with dashingscorpio: every month is "White History Month".

As it stands, Black History Month is, at least in my opinion, racist and patronizing; but it's better than nothing.

When we say "Black History Month", let's be honest what we're actually talking about. Unless you're still a kid in school, it means a 15 second "CBS Cares" bumper about Booker T. Washington or Rosa Parks, a Jackie Robinson promo before most Baseball games, and a month of lip service to black culture by the media.

The simple fact is, until the American History we teach our kids is adapted to more accurately reflect the reality of American History, then we still need to take time to focus on Black History, and Asian History, and Irish History, Hispanic History and all the other cultures that made America What it is today.

I'm really curious in asking all AA; what do you really 'learn' and celebrate in black history month?  In Chicago, I see Irish=fest, Swedish-fest, Gernam-American fest and all teach heir heritage; but I've not seen  the fruits of Black History.month

2. taburkett profile image58

So, we should identify the whites that created the underground railroad. Kelton House-authenticated as a stop on the Underground Railroad-oral history of the Kelton and Lawrence families. http://www.keltonhouse.com/ugrrandkh.html
      REAL AMERICANS

3. havingmysay profile image60
      havingmysayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

During Black History Month, there is a bit more emphasis on the work, accomplishments and the will power of African Americans despite the odds that were stacked against them.

12. Organised Kaos profile image88
    Organised Kaosposted 10 years ago

Very True ~ interesting question, whichever country you pose it in!

Being Equal can sure be one sided in some cases...

13. alexandriaruthk profile image70
    alexandriaruthkposted 10 years ago

Just because the mainstream history is all about it.

14. A Little TRUTH profile image79
    A Little TRUTHposted 10 years ago

Whether you specify a certain month for history, or a certain part of the bus to sit on - it’s racist.  It’s a division.  It’s a subtle component of the old divide and conquer.

1. profile image0

One month of recognition is better than no recognition.

2. A Little TRUTH profile image79
      A Little TRUTHposted 10 years agoin reply to this

... just like sitting on the back of the bus is better than not being allowed on the bus.  That may be good enough for you, but it wasn't good enough for most.

3. profile image0

I just point out a truth. Personally, I transcended all the nonsense of this world 25 years ago. You can have the whole bus as far as I am concerned.

4. A Little TRUTH profile image79

So are you saying that black people can have the whole year for history?  In other words, Black History Month is NOT “ok”?

5. profile image0

I'm saying on the highest level of understanding,  the past is irrelevant. On an earthy level, if whites celebrate their inventors and achievers, there is nothing wrong with blacks celebrating their inventors. Like award shows. Every race does it.

6. A Little TRUTH profile image79

Black History Month is in the present, not past. Are you saying ‘Blacks can now have the whole bus, but must still segregate history to a certain month’? People celebrate inventors and achievers of people. Does it have to be a black and white thing?

7. profile image0

It doesn't have to be a black or a white thing. But since the numbers of white achievers is staggering, the media cannot spotlight everybody. So blacks, latinos, asians and others have to put the light on themselves.

8. A Little TRUTH profile image79

Thanks for your answer to the second question.  Do you wish to comment on the first?

9. Wayne Brown profile image80
      Wayne Brownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@A Little TRUTH...Apparently, you miss the point. You see racism is completely a "white domain" and impossible to be carried out by any other race according to those who write the rules of equality. On that basis, your observation is impossible.

10. A Little TRUTH profile image79

Wayne Brown, I thought this was a question, not a point. But my "observation" agrees with that of Morgan Freeman,s which is getting a lot of attention on the internet (see comment of Vincent Potter above). And how can an observation be impossible?

11. taburkett profile image58

so very true. the discrimination continues to expand as the racists and bigots spread more division within the nation.

12. teamrn profile image59

The past was just that : THE PAST. Reliving it seems to accomplish nothing but a greater divide. "COMPONENT?" Who's?

15. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 10 years ago

We have twelve white history months each year.
    We cannot put the past behind us while we are still living with the consequences of the past. One who does not know the past has no understanding of the present.

To what extent can we be equals when we have never had  a level playing field?

1. taburkett profile image58

History only has color when discussed and provided by racists. American history should not be taught this way because it is then discrimination. If the history books need to be rewritten, then support it rather than race discrimination. REAL AMERICAN

16. ziyena profile image90
    ziyenaposted 10 years ago

I understand your frustration wanting self-expression and validity, but lately, I personally am tired of this topic, and wish people would just give it a rest.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

couldnt have said it better

write your politician and demand that they quit distributing discrimination in the form of global special recognition. when an individual places a prefix in front of American, they are discriminating. This should never be permitted in any form.

17. Ryan Daniel Smith profile image57
    Ryan Daniel Smithposted 10 years ago

I hope that some day we may reach a point where we stop trying to be "equal" and just unite as a country. By saying that people of different races should be equal, one is essentially saying that they are different, it divides us. What if one day we looked back at it all as american history? About how people joined together and fought for what was right? I don't want this to sound bad, but what if we put the past behind us and just tried to move on? Like Morgan Freeman said, Racism will go away when we stop relying on labels and talking about how different we are when we're essentially the same.
    That's just my opinion though.

the only way to be "equal" is for each individual to take responsibility for their personal actions. global display of discrimination in any form is illegal under current law. special recognition is discrimination regardless of intent. REAL AMERICANS

18. flacoinohio profile image79
    flacoinohioposted 10 years ago

I am actually surprised we don't have more racial or ethnic awareness months.  Many Americans forget or refuse to accept that this country was created through the use of tyranny and oppression  by people seeking freedom from tyranny and oppression.  It is ironic that there not more organizations that support a specific ethnic or racial group seeking to promote more awareness of their own negative treatment at the hands of people seeking to make this country a better place for white Americans.

Patriotic Americans are filled with racial and ethnic awareness. Patriotic Americans do not require recognition by race, sexual orientation, age, or economic status. Patriotic Americans do not promote discrimination. REAL AMERICANS

Is it RACIAL or CULTURAL awareness?  We should all know CULTURAL traditions which make up HISTORY. A month seems like amany ethnic festivals;I learn history that I didn't learn in school about that  CULTURE

3. flacoinohio profile image79
      flacoinohioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This comment is simply pointing out this country was founded and continues to thrive due to oppression.   Those who have been oppressed should be recognized for their contribution to this country what it is today.

I don't think it speaks to oppression at all. How?

5. dianetrotter profile image61

Taburkett, do you mind telling us who the "real patriotic Americans" are?  Once it is defined, we can probably discuss it more effectively.

19. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 10 years ago

But unfortunately, a group of white U.S. Senators banning together and calling themselves "The White Senate Caucus" is seen as a "racist" activity.  As long as we are willing to sort this deck by exception, if a "black caucus" is acceptable, then a "whte" would one should make just as much sense and the same would be true for Hispanics, etc.  The remaining eleven months of the year are not officially labeled as "White History Month" thus your explanation is a bit of a cop out on the example given.  As a nation, we cannot forbid every active effort on the part of white peopel to organize or to exhibit their contributions, skills, and talents by labeling those efforts as "racist" the minute they take some organized form or specifically bar membership by ethnic origin.  One would not expect a white Senator to be allowed to join the Black Senate Caucus but a White Senate Causcus would play hell denying a black senator membership.  Far too many of us define "racial discrimination" in only one plane indicating that it can only be originated by a white person and only played out on a black one.  I foresee a time when the celebration of the 4th of July will be looked upon as a racist activity because it is celebrated so broadly by white people.

1. profile image0

Your comments are amusing. You already dominate the whole world, what else do you want?

Discrimination is only permitted when it is leveraged by a minority. However, every American is part of a minority when looking at the melting pot that is the USA. That means that each one should be permitted to have a special cultural month.

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sri T, what part of Mr. Brown's statement do find intellectually or factually incorrect? Be specific and give a logic argument against people being able to group together equally, not simple if you are an "approved" minority.

Wayne, don't you think that US citizens MUST say that separate  'black' caucuses and  'white' caucuses ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE? This maddness must stop. Why was Al Sharpton not on top of the white Aussie killed by blacks-because they were bored?

20. lupine profile image64
    lupineposted 10 years ago

dashingscorpio, that was my fist thought too...that's what the rest of the year is for.

21. Vincent Potter profile image59
    Vincent Potterposted 10 years ago

My favorite speaker on this topic would have to be Morgan Freeman, the actor. He simply stated, "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

When the interviewer asked, "How are we going to get rid of racism until-" Morgan cuts him off.

"Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man. I know you as Mike Wallace; you know me as Morgan Freeman. You're not going to say 'I know this white guy named Mike Wallace.' Hear what I'm saying?"

I think Morgan makes a strong point. If we really want to treat everyone as equals, why are we even addressing each other differently in the first place? We're not black people, white people, asian people, or hispanic people - we're just people. That's just my opinion on the topic, however!

Sounds good to me Vincent.  The important thing is that everyone must do it for it to work.  What a wonderful world it would be.

2. S Leretseh profile image61

Writing laws, or even visual image indoctrination...is NOT going to stop males from recognizing "their" group. These groups are always -and always will be-  race based.  Saying things that sound good is one thing. Implementing it is quite another.

3. A Little TRUTH profile image79

Right on Morgan Freeman!  We could think of it this way: Children know nothing about division of races until adults teach it to them. If we stop teaching it to them, it will cease to exist.

4. profile image0

that was awesome. i love morgan freeman. great actor and person.

5. teamrn profile image59

Kudos Vincent. The nail gets hit on the head!

6. taburkett profile image58

Gang and Mob recognition is always attributed to the individual that wishes to discriminate. American Patriots do not use black or white to describe people. American Patriots do not discriminate in any form. REAL AMERICANS

7. profile image57
      skturtlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Vincent, I agree! Until we as a society stop pointing out differences, whether in a positive way or not, we will continue to have racism.  I also agree with Morgan Freeman, we need to stop talking about it.  We are Americans.

8. profile image0
      moviesreviewsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So very true Vincent and I could not agree with Morgan more. Hopefully this system of injustice will be done with and more folks educated on just how much African-Americans have contributed to society besides through sports and music.

9. dianetrotter profile image61

I agree with S Leretseh. History books rewritten would cause outrage!

22. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Because African-Americans have been ignored in our history for so long.  The only African-Americans studied in schools where those acceptable to whites.  The essence of African culture was never studied when I was in school.  Black History month is to catch up for all the years black history was ignored in this country.  It is the study of a different culture and brings diversity to education in this country.

African American people were ignored-THEN, but if they were to make similar contribution NOW, it would not go unrecognized. How long will America be held hostage by white slave owners of yesteryear. Rodney King, "why can't we all just get along?"

The essence of American culture has never been taught in school. US Culture is described as an ethnically and racially diverse country. ethnic group membership does not describe the US culture. White US citizens overlook this racism bias.

Don't like to 'pick' but what make you think that "White US citizens overlook this racism bias."? Quite a generalization, eh? Is there a reason that black america does not teach white america it's culture in or out of the classroom?

4. dianetrotter profile image61

I teach in inner city.  Kids desperately need to see the efforts and contributions of  people that look like them.  Would it not be better for one to want to be a surgeon because of Ben Carter than a rapper because of 50 cent?

23. Crissylite profile image75
    Crissyliteposted 10 years ago

It bothers me that some have a problem with people paying tribute to heritage and embracing parts of our country’s history that would otherwise go unrecognized. That sounds like some kind of ism. If we were truly equal and free of racism (covert included), shouldn’t we be okay with supporting one another?

I also embrace diversity as a whole. Personally, I appreciated celebrating Black History Month when growing up. Being a minority, it gave me a sense of self -worth that some people could not understand especially if they never genuinely cared. …just my feelings & opinion; good discussion

Missing the point. No one should hv a problem with blacks "paying tribute" to their past. The  flagrant - in yor face -double standard. is FORCING the entire country to bear witness to the fact that ONLY blacks are allowed this recognition.

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There shouldn't be separate histories they should all be melded into one American history. These special cases are usually only attended by that minority so nobody really learns their contributions except the few who attend the classes.

3. Crissylite profile image75
      Crissyliteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it would be better if everything was already taught in school to everyone. That way, American history would already include black history. Just as we learn about the civil war, we also learn about the buffalo soldiers., and etc.

" Being a minority, it gave me a sense of self -worth that some people could not understand " Interesting. That was a through provoking statement and  insight.

24. Mom61 profile image60
    Mom61posted 10 years ago

I think having black history month just keeps the "racial card " brewing. Why do we have black history month?

25. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

I kind of agree, but i dont want a white history month. I just want people to stop acknowledging race and keeping racism alive. Its just doenst make any sense to me. This is how i see race. immediate or somewhat immediate ancestry born on a piece of dirt surrounded by an imaginary line given a name. it really just depends on how far back you want to go in history. no matter the worldview, dont we essentially all come from the same place going back far enough.  If im wrong in this and race actually does matter somehow, i invite anyone to let me know how. i have always been curious why everyone puts so much importance on something i personally see as irrelevant.

IMHO black history should be learned and celebrated by all and everyone (as much as possible) should learn and celebrate all ethnic history, culture. The appreciation of ALL races that we derive is the only thing that will heal racial divide.

2. profile image0

so, acknowledging that we are different somehow because of how we look is what will heal racial divide?

Of course it won't/ But focusing with a spotlight won't help the divide. What will help IMHO is for EVERYONE to be open to learning about different cultures.. Why does the 'Congressional Black Caucus' exist? What do they accomplish by naming the CBC?

4. profile image0

I agree. Thats why I'm saying we need to stop acknowledging race. There is nothing wrong with leaning about other cultures in other countries. What we do here though is single out a race in our own culture. why cant we just say these people did this?

26. debbyp1964 profile image61
    debbyp1964posted 10 years ago

Who said it is not "OK"? maybe it is not necessary as we are all taught "white history" every day.

If ONE person even began to organize or express thoughts of a white history month, Al Sharpton and TONS of other folks who feel this must be politically motivated would be crying, "those racists whites!"  We need to heal a wound and tearing it open .

I have never been taught "white history". I have learned American History, European History, African History, Canadian History, Russian History, Hawaiian History, Japanese History, WWII History, German History, British History, Egyptian History, etc.

I don't think we should be taught 'white history.' I think we should all be taught history; significant contributions of Asians, Italians, blacks, Swedes. Pointing and focusing out our differences only makes us more segregated.

27. teamrn profile image59
    teamrnposted 10 years ago

I think, and I feel this strongly, that "Black History Month" serves to separate whites and blacks. There is a racial divide in this country that isn't served by "Black History Month," but blacks do have a heritage and culture to celebrate.

This only reminds me of a line from Superman, 'with great priviledge comes greater responsibility' (I think that was it.) The responsility lies in not only celebrating the culture and heritage, but with teaching whites about it.

I think it more important for whites to understand and appreciate black history and in the same to key, it is equally important for blacks to understand where whites came from. We need to appreciate that there are differences between ALL races and cultures and celebrate them.

"Black History Month" would be well served for ALL blacks to celebrate their rich heritage and pass what they've learned to their white brethren. We are all occupiers of this planet at the same time and as long as "Black History Month"isn't used to further separate the races and it is used as a tool to bring the races together, it ought to be left a lone.

No one said it is NOT okay to have a "White History Month" but I dare say that Rev. Al would be the first to call whomever pursued that one, a racist.

28. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Because the democrats need to placate the ghetto crowd so they do not lose their votes come voting day.  The black history month has never mentioned a single statement or provided historical background on my great-grandfather who ran an underground railroad station in Eastern Indiana.  But, they have called me bigot, racist, whitey, and many other terms because I believe they should simply thank my family for sparing their lives during that time.  However, under black history month, the media and black racists demand the story only portray the racism that actually relates to less than 3 percent of the white population.  So, as usual, the black racists keep the down-trodden in the ghetto so they can continue their demeaning activities.

29. profile image0
    moviesreviewsposted 10 years ago

I always found it funny that it is the shortest month of the year. I think it should be done away with and more research should be done into black history and it should be taught all year round.

30. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

It's a very good question but I have to say, even if there was a "White history month", it probably wouldn't be accurate. I mean, we are teaching that Columbus discovered America. Really?  Who doesn't know Natives were here first?  Why is it when I go to a museum, Natives are portrayed and called "savages" or "wild" when really that was according to whose standards?  When one lives off the land and respects the land and protects his territory, is that wild? 
    You raise a good question. But I'd like to see "Correction" month.
    I certainly don't mean to sound resentful towards anyone. It's just that I'm still a little upset that in my daughters entire Missouri history book, not one mention of the Cherokee Trail of Tears.

31. LandmarkWealth profile image67
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

I see no reason to have a month to recognize or create awareness about any race or ethnicity.  If you want to honor a persons accomplishments, then honor them...not their race.  Otherwise you are just further perpetuating the divide between races.  Few people in history have accomplished more than Leonardo Da Vinci.  Yet as an Italian should I be upset that we don't have an Italian history month.  I think the idea is ridiculous. Honor Da Vinci, not the race he was born into.  Every race has been the subject of discrimination and violence at one time or another in our nations history.  And it's still not nearly as bad as the atrocities of other nations around the world.  We don't need a Jewish history for all the atrocities that Jews were persecuted under either. Or a month for Armenians because of the genocide they endured. The same can be said for Native Americans.  There aren't enough months to cover all the races which have suffered at the hands of discrimination of others bother here and abroad.   Start paying tribute to actual people and their accomplishments, not the color of their skin.  Otherwise you yourself are discriminating.    When I say you...I mean the gov't.  I could care less if people want to celebrate their ethnicity privately or in their community.  But we don't need the gov't declaring what race we should celebrate.

1. A Little TRUTH profile image79

Very well said!  I couldn't agree more.

I think the reason it is call "Black" History Month is - not to celebrate race - but deliberately emphasis contributions by African Americans.  Same for others.  If there were balance in textbooks, there would be no issue... would there?

It is called black history month to placate those who wish to separate themselves from the patriotic group using hypenAmerican. Continual division will destroy the nation because the race baiting will further divide the American society.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since there is little mention of the contribution of men like Antonio Meucci, in our unbalanced text books, then we ought to have an Italian history month.

5. A Little TRUTH profile image79

There must’ve been some people with green eyes who have done great things and need to be recognized.  Should we separate them out and have a green-eyed history month?

6. LandmarkWealth profile image67
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Clearly they haven't been recognized in the textbooks.

32. Janie Mullen profile image60
    Janie Mullenposted 10 years ago

I think the answer to your question lies in an historical view of how "Black History Month" was established. The origins go back to the 1920's when it was Negro History Week. Students at Kent lobbied for it in 1969 when they realized how little they knew about Black figures in history and their influences in the development of America. It was only officially established in 1976.

The goal was always: to educate African Americans about  African American history, and the accomplishments of people of color. Trust me - this information wasn't in the history books then, and there are not a lot of references now, unless the person was active post 1965. For example, you hear a lot about Rosa Parks, MLK, Oprah, Al Sharpton - but, what about the role models that existed before them, like the architect, Paul Revere Williams?

So, that's why there is a "Black History Month."

I, personally, would have nothing against a "White History Month." However, is there a need for it?

33. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 10 years ago

As far as government schools go, it should not be segregated to a month. We should teach American history in it's entirety and in context. We need to stop hyphenating our society. When one group or another assumes a "sub category" status, whether by their own choice or by being branded as such by someone trying to gain "cred and capital" by doing so, we weaken the bond of these United States and do nothing to strengthen them.
    As far as in the private market, we should be allowed to offer any organization the right to exist, which would include an all black group, an all white group, an all female group, an all midget group etc. Private business should dictate how it conducts business, but if we must have a government run school, then it should teach American history and not segmented, compartmentalized history.

34. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Having any race history month is technically racist behavior.  People who have significantly contributed to the history of society, as well as the everyday folks whose hearts beat with those who were making those contributions, should be highlighted in our conversations and our writings without regard for their color.  A caucasian's contribution in India, an asian's contribution in Africa, a black's contribution in America--what does their color matter? 

Of course, there is the issue of whether the significant contribution was positive or negative. For instance, blacks in Africa trapped and sold their own people to be slaves to whites and others all over the world, but in history lessons our children are only presented a picture of white slave traders who called themselves Christians. All Americans are blamed for how the government/whites treated American Indians back in the day, but not all whites wanted what happened to native Indians. Not all Germans wanted to see Hitler succeed. History is full of stories of people caught in difficult times they lived in.  We should learn the lessons available to us from their experiences.  First and foremost, history lessons should be balanced with truth.

Celebrating one's heritage is a wonderful thing. People should be patriotic, loyal to each other, and have an appropriate pride in who they are.  If so-called racial events are used as an in-your-face-to-the-rest-of-the-world event, however, the celebration is lost and division takes root.  That is always sad business.

35. kthierry76 profile image60
    kthierry76posted 10 years ago

When I was in school everyday was "white history month." I recently had an intern who didn't know who George Wasington Carver was. That wasn't taught in his pro dominantly white school. If our education system consisted of it already there wouldn't be a need. And it's the shortest month of the year!

36. Dranea profile image58
    Draneaposted 10 years ago

Maybe, it has to do with how history is taught from a Eurocentric Perspective in America.

"It's a way of making up for what is still lacking at all other times in mainstream culture, educational, and other settings."

"Black History Month" is empowering for African Americans (us) to learn because African Americans are often characterized in a negative light in regards to history and present.

1. Dranea profile image58
      Draneaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

to have*
      It challenges stereotypes associated with African Americans, among other things.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)