Does your family support you in your writings or do they even care, if not, who

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Does your family support you in your writings or do they even care, if not, who is your biggest ...

Family, do they care about your writings and support you or not and, if not, who gives you the most support of your writing?  Thanks for answering.

2. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

My daughter, who is also a writer, is my only support among family.  She gives compliments and she pushes me to promote my work.  The others are just not interested; neither do I pay attention to everything they do.  Our love for each other is itself an indirect support.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi MsDora, that is so lovely that your daughter is also a writer and encourages you and your amazing writes.  Yes, love is truly support.  Beautiful answer!  God bless.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

My family thinks it's cool that I write Hubs but none of them are particularly interested in the stuff I write about... which now that I think about it, is why I started writing that stuff to begin with, I was hoping to find other people who enjoyed talking about the same geeky nonsense that I dig!

Hi FatFreddysCat, that is pretty cool that they think it's cool that you write Hubs even though they don't read.  Yes, that is a very good point about finding that audience who desires to read what you write. Thanks!!!

4. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

When I first started writing, my immediate family thought I was "wasting time on the internet" and was aggravated with me (except for my hubby). LOL. Since I published my first book, they have had a change of heart. They finally realized I wasn't just locked in my office to goof off. As far as extended family, I have some who support me more than others. My dad, in particular, will ask me about my book and how it's progressing. He even sends emails out to all his friends about my accomplishments. I guess he's a proud dad. My mother wants me to go on the Oprah show. She thinks that I can be the next big guru in my professional field if Oprah could help out. LOL. For the rest of my extended family and in-laws, they don't really ask me much. For the most part, I think it's because of my profession being in nutrition. Many of them are not living healthy lifestyles and already think they know what is best for themselves. Therefore, I don't push any of my knowledge or writings upon them. I'm there as a friend to them (as they are to me), and that's what matters most.

Wow, Abby, yes, I can see how publishing your first book could make them have a change of heart  : )  I can relate to the mindset of "wasting time on the Internet" for sure, except for my hubby.  How beautiful about your parents and you too ...

5. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 10 years ago

Sadly, I do not think any family has read one sentence of my work.

Aw krillco, thanks for the honest answer here.  I'm sorry, but we are all here, and that is why we are here, to be read by other writers!!!  Hugs

6. Dreamhowl profile image94
    Dreamhowlposted 10 years ago

My parents are supportive of my writing - they ask about what I am writing or editing, or why I haven't tried to get something published yet. My boyfriend also reads all of my hubs (literally) and shares them on his social networks. We share most of the same interests, which makes it easier.

Hi Dreamhowl, oh, how very lovely to have such support from your loving parents and boyfriend too!  That is wonderful to have the same interests. Thanks for sharing and answering here this day.  Blessings.

7. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Faith, your question is quite timely for me.

I was so excited with your "Hug Of The Day" hub for me, that I printed out a few copies. 

I will say my sister, who also likes to write, was very excited and supportive.  She even visited Hub Pages, read several of my hubs, and emailed me with many kudos.

My husband HATES to read and write (I even have to fill out his birthday cards to family members when we have them for a celebration dinner). 

He has NO interest in EVER going to Barnes & Noble (I live there).  He loves math, numbers, accounting.  I HATE ANYTHING to do with numbers. 

However, he DID read your hug of the day for me, as he saw me weeping at the computer with excitement when I called him into the room to share it with him. 

Let's just say he DOES support my writing dreams 100 percent but if I published a book - and I plan to - it would probably be painful for him to read it (LOL) and I do understand.

I also gave a copy of your hug of the day to a family member very close to me.  A week later I asked the person if he/she had read it, and the reply was, 'no.'  I know everyone is very busy, and this person is 'off the charts' busy, so I understand.

However, for some reason I felt very sad because I was so excited to have been so encouraged by you - as well as, so many writers on this site - that I wanted to share my joy with the people who mean the most to me - my family.  I think it was the person's tone of voice that bothered me and how that person brushed it off very quickly.

That being said I DO know this person loves me very much...but is also a 'math/accounting' whiz and hardly ever reads.

Reading some of the other comments here, I see I am not alone.  I guess, Faith, to sum it up, we who LOVE to write cannot expect our family to read what we write, especially if they do not have the interest.  I have to give family members some slack here. 

I just read yesterday a hubber saying her family never reads her stuff.

To answer your question, my husband and sister are my biggest supporters, along with a couple friends, and other writers whom I meet at a writers conference. which I try to attend if there is one close by. 

Great question!  Blessings, Sparklea smile

Hi Sparklea!  Thanks so much for sharing all here, that is so sweet to want to share the "Hug" with all.  You have made such valid points here.  I tend to encourage my family in their passions, and you're right, we cannot expect such in return.  Hugs

8. wayne barrett profile image73
    wayne barrettposted 10 years ago

Good question, Faith. For the most part my family supports my writing. I really don't have any one who actually hinders me. At the worst, It would be those few who are apathetic about it.
    My wife and daughters are my biggest supporters, especially my middle daughter Beth who is a freelance writer and a member of Hubpages. I named her Elizabeth Barrett, after the famous poet, and she has held true to the name.
    One thing I have learned, when it comes to what you might consider support, is that when a family member or friend compliments or wows my work, I have to remember that (with the exception of my daughters) they are not writers, so you must really understand that what may seem great to them might not necessarily be as great as they make it out to be. By the same token, I have also experienced somewhat negative responses from them because, not being poet fans, or readers, they don't get it.
    I guess I would say, if you feel you are not getting a response from someone who you think should care, you should take with a grain of salt the fact that it probably has nothing to do with the quality of your writing.
    To give you an example; I had a short story that all my family raved about, but recently I finally submitted it to an editor for publication. Regardless of what all i had heard from family, I was soooo nervous that they were going to say that it was no good. Well, they did like it, but my point is that when it came down to it, the person I was really worried about liking my work was the editor.
    You're a great writer faith. Just keep on doing what you do! (and make sure you take my advice with a grain of salt) : )

Wow, Wayne, thanks for sharing all here and the great answer!  You have made a valid point as far as just exactly what is support.  You are blessed to have such family who do "support" and at least do not discourage you in your passion in this life.

9. cleaner3 profile image69
    cleaner3posted 10 years ago

Writing is a solitary process.. you always start out hoping that the one's who love you will be amazed ..  proud and wanting to read your work and then when the reality of what you wrote and the  non- attention is staring you in the face.. it is frustrating . you seek out others who feel touched by your writes.. then realize there are people out there ..you were writing for.. people   who are lonely .. people who only need somebody else to express for them.. what is in their soul..  what has been  trapped in their heart for so long .. then released after reading your work .. that makes it all worth it .
    My biggest fans are my nieces who  absolutely love my poetry . they see the words and it intrigues them as to how I come up with the poems and I just say ..  open your heart and write .. fear not ridicule.. let the Lord guide your way .. and be at peace with yourself.

1. wayne barrett profile image73
      wayne barrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Michael, that's one of the things that has so endeared me to Hubpages is that I have found a family who not only reads my work, but they get it!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Oh wow, look at all of these comments here! : )  Thanks Michael, what a lovely way to look at such.  I know your nieces are in such awe of their talented uncle!  How can they not be!!!  Hugs

10. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 10 years ago

I am amazed at the level of support I receive from my family. My daughters are accomplished, award-winning writers who encourage me to the max. They follow me, they share my work, they do whatever they can to support me. My husband is also a big supporter. Surprisingly, he doesn't read everything I write, but when he does read something I've written, he compliments me on it. I'm always on pins and needles when he's reading my work because he is extremely critical. So far, I've passed his test of approval. He's a retired technical writer and editor, so I think that's why his opinion means a lot. If I had to state who the biggest supporter is, I'd have to say it is my daughter who is the journalist. She gives me lots of tips and active feedback.

Hi Marlene, wow, what a blessing of a family you have!  I have no doubt your writings pass the test of approval each and every time.  How wonderful your daughter is a journalist, so she understands the passion for writing!!!  Thanks for sharing here.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

Certainly nobody in my family discourages me from writing, and a couple have more than once made comments that they think I'm a good writer.  Other than that, I have no idea if anyone ever looks at anything I've got online or not.  If they have they haven't let me know it.  Maybe they know I'm a "private person" and feel uncomfortable about saying they've been "snooping around" (even if what's online is obviously not something I expect to be private).   There have been a few instances over the years when someone has mentioned seeing something that I wrote.

With some not-so-close family members/friends, the "big line" is that people work and "don't go on the Internet".  I think they're afraid that I expect them to read what I write - when I don't.  I don't care who reads it and who doesn't.

I find it somewhat isolating (and irksome) to be actually encouraged to write poetry or "fluffy" things or "cute" things that are aimed at people interested in babies and young children; but out-and-out told "Nobody's interested" when I've mentioned writing about subjects that are not necessarily or automatically associated with women and/or mothers.  On the one hand, I do take it as a compliment that someone thinks I write at least SOME appealing, even "good", poetry or "Mommy-type" stuff.  On the other hand, since the same people haven't seen examples of my more "serious"/non-"Mommy-type" stuff; and apparently aren't about to muster up the interest in reading (LOL), my writing efforts and aims remain very much a lone-effort (and that's fine with me). I'm a grown-up and have been for quite a long time now.   smile  It's not a bad thing for people to know not to look for support if they have something that's important to them and have plans to pursue it.

Hi Lisa, wow, great answer here!  Yes, when one writes, it is important to the one writing and whether or not anyone in one's family ever reads it matters not, but to me, if they know it is your passion, you would think they may encourage one a bit.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Faith.    I'm not sure that non-writers necessarily think of writing as a passion.  They often think of it more as "a nice thing for some people to be able to do if that happens to be something they like to do."

12. Toytasting profile image60
    Toytastingposted 10 years ago

Yes, my family does support me in my writing. They are the ones encouraging me to write more and more. Apart from them, my friends are also supportive enough.

Hi Toytasting, that is so very awesome when one has the support or at least encouragement from both family and friends.  Thanks for answering!

13. Laura Schneider profile image83
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Hm. As a typically full-time technical writer and editor with periods of downtime, I support myself with my technical writing.

I don't think my family really understands what technical writing is and how it is different than writing they have done since they all have higher or even professional degrees and I just have a BA. I think they think that tech writing is just about like writing a thesis, paper for class, or legal brief. (I wouldn't know about writing legal briefs, however, so it could be.)

I've told my family about my my hub pages articles, of which I am fairly excited since my technical writing is almost all proprietary and confidential to my employers/clients whereas HubPages are meant to be shared: I can finally share some of what I do. I think that my family is vaguely supportive of my HubPages writing because I'm excited about it, and some even occasionally read an article or two, but after spending 20 minutes talking about my latest HubPages works with one family member recently that person asked, "Say, have you done any writing lately?" I think that about sums up their general respect (lack thereof) and ignorance (lack of exposure) of my work on HubPages. I think that if they actually read the articles that they would be more supportive, except one who only considers "published" (physically, publicly published) works to be "writing", not HubPages or tech writing (since that person can't see the hundreds of books I've written that were privately published by my employers).

Hello Laura, how very interesting and thank you for sharing here.  You have made an excellent point, and that is, just maybe if they would just read, maybe they would understand from where you are coming.  Great answer here and detailed!

2. ocfireflies profile image70
      ocfirefliesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Laura,
      I think it is pretty darn awesome that you are able to support yourself with your writing. 
      Kim

14. uNicQue profile image69
    uNicQueposted 10 years ago

Though I'm not sure if writing is going to be my entire career, it is becoming an important part of it. My family, though not entirely unsupportive, were not particularly excited about my choice to be an English major. They consistently question whether or not there will be jobs in that area, and as much as I try to explain to them that there are options for me, they just seemed concerned. I think that they are doing their best, but my primary support comes from my boyfriend of seven years. He never doubts that I will figure out exactly what I want to do, whether it be writing or something related in the field, he constantly encourages me. He reads every hub that I publish and encourages me to write more often. I'm so grateful to have that. Everyone needs a support system.

1. Laura Schneider profile image83
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are so lucky to have such a supportive boyfriend!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hello uNicQue,  thanks so much for sharing here.  That is so very lovely that your boyfriend supports you so much, how sweet!  It is understandable for parents (you know parents) to be concerned a bit, which I guess is natural.  Great answer.

15. ocfireflies profile image70
    ocfirefliesposted 10 years ago

Yes!  I am so blessed.  My mom, my children, my significant other, my therapist, fellow hubbers all support me.  It is impossible for me to say who gives me the most support.  For example, my significant other does not like computers, but he is always willing to field ideas.  My mom knows that I have loved writing since I was a very young school girl.  My sons are both very creative and are so much better writers than I will ever be, and yet, they encourage me.  My therapist also supports me for she sees that I have better days when I am able to write something.  Finally, my fellow hubbers support me by their willingness to read and leave such uplifting comments.  What a great question and so difficult to answer completely.

1. Laura Schneider profile image83
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, you are so lucky to have such support! It really helps, doesn't it, to have all that support?

2. ocfireflies profile image70
      ocfirefliesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After reading some of the other comments, I am even more convinced that I am blessed to have several in my life who lift me with their support.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi sweet Kim, wow what a blessing to have such great encouragement and thank you for sharing!!!

16. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 10 years ago

When I first began writing on HP, my family never read anything.  I think they thought it was just another of my "big ideas" not to be taken seriously.  Now that I have been writing for a while, they are interested and do read my stuff.  They even compliment me on some of my work.

Hi Mary, yes, I think sometimes they think we are wasting a lot of time on here, when it is something we are passionate about, but I am glad they understand now!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)