What company do you recommend for publishing an ebook?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Mel Carriere profile image87
    Mel Carriereposted 10 years ago

What company do you recommend for publishing an ebook?

I'm hoping to publish an ebook soon.  My first attempt did not go so well because the company I used was not careful about reproducing my story the way I wrote it.  I'm looking for help in this area please.

2. bat115 profile image79
    bat115posted 10 years ago

I've heard Smashwords was pretty good. Is it Horror by any chance? Samhain publishing is looking for ebooks.

1. Mel Carriere profile image87
      Mel Carriereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I actually do have a horror novel that is in the 2nd draft stage.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

Smahwords is good but I use Booktango due to the ease of the site. Publishing is free and you get 100% of the royalties.

1. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you see better sales with Booktango? Smashwords is a very popular site with a lot of customers.

2. Marsha Musselman1 profile image82
      Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, I'v never heard about Booktango. Will have to check that out. Good question though, how is your sales with them?

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sales have been good when compared to Smashwords (at least in my case)

4. Joseph Mahoney profile image69
      Joseph Mahoneyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Booktango is alright, cover designer is a bit messy. And I wouldn't publish to scribd when checking vendors for publish. ( just an fyi )

5. leni sands profile image67
      leni sandsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you have a weblink to Booktango?  Sounds like it will be worth a look.

4. profile image0
    CroftRoanposted 10 years ago

I heard Smashwords is a good company. I've bought a couple things from them and like them pretty well. Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing is also a good one. I just published Grace Under Fire with them today and the process is simple and quick. Amazon is also a well known company so you get a lot of potential customers. Hope this helps.

1. alancaster149 profile image75
      alancaster149posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I put my first two books on Kindle, and aim to have book three on there as well. Look on the Amazon Kindle site and once you've joined they e-mail you monthly with updates

5. info-overload profile image61
    info-overloadposted 10 years ago

Amazon seems to have a good deal for self publishing for their Kindle and they have great circulation. They also let you upload revisions in case you find holes in the story that are fixable.

6. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I have done a bit of research on this for myself as I want to put my published hard copy book into ebook format as well. I am planning to go with Amazon Kindle as well as Smashwords.

Amazon Kindle has two different plans you can go with:

(1) 70% royalty
    (2) 35% royalty

Of course, we want to get the biggest bang for our book, so I am opting for the 70% royalty plan. However, there is a catch. With this plan, you cannot list your book for over the price of $9.99 and you must allow it to be a part of the "Prime" club. Those who are members of Prime can borrow books for free and lend them out. However, authors still make gains when the book is "borrowed" as Prime pays too... just not as much as the royalty. (However, research indicates that many borrowers end up buying the book.) Additionally, you have to exclusively publish your book with Amazon Kindle for three months. After the three months are over, you can publish elsewhere.

With the 35% royalty plan, there are no restrictions. You can price your book for whatever you want. Your book will not be a part of the Prime program. Nor do you have the publishing restrictions that the 70% plan has.

Because Amazon is the largest distributor of books, I figured it would be a good idea to publish with them. Smashwords does not work with them as of yet (unless it changed recently). However, I plan to publish on Smashwords as well because they are the "big" distributor of ebooks. You just have to publish with them, and they take care of the rest by distributing out to all other ebook stores and distributors. I can't remember what royalty percentage you would make with them, but it was decent. You could go to each ebook store and distributor yourself to publish to make better royalties. However, it seems that the difference is all of 5%. It seemed well worth my time to publish with Smashwords and pay them the extra 5% to do that work for me.

7. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 10 years ago

Lulu is worth the try. It's been around for a while, though I'm not sure if the ebook service sector is still in operation. Someone else mentioned Amazon. smile

8. Alisha Adkins profile image91
    Alisha Adkinsposted 10 years ago

Are you looking for a company to help you format your e-book or asking where it is best to upload it? 
    Amazon is the primary market for selling e-books.  It's good to also make it available at Smashwords and Barnes & Noble.
    But, unless you have some technical expertise in the area, your first concern may be e-formatting and obtaining quality cover art.  There are quite a few private companies that offer these services on the web - although their fees vary widely.  I personally use Streetlight Graphics and have been very happy with them.

9. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Personally, I went with Book Baby. You do have to pay up front to publish it, but if you make your own cover and epub file, it's not too expensive. I went with them because it got my ebook onto all the large name ereaders (kindle, nook and the itunes bookstore). After the initial fee you keep all the royalties.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)