Why most mothers prefer sons than daughters?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Why most mothers prefer sons than daughters?

Mothers are more appreciated when their first born is a  boy and prefer boys to girls, the favorite child is often the boy, can  this affect children when older?

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

I've always thought it was fathers who wanted their first born to be a boy. It was seen as a guarantee his family name would be passed on.
    Maybe there is something subliminal that makes some women desire to have boys over girls. Either they see girls as (emotionally more challenging) to deal with compared to boys or (they worry) about how to prepare them to deal with a variety of things such as periods, birth control, sexual harassment, and a world that for the most part still treats girls and women as second class citizens.
    Another group of women I suspect believe boys worship their mothers and girls will be more confrontational. Still I know of girls and mothers who are (best friends) in ways no mother could be with a son.

1. DDE profile image45
      DDEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Girls are more of a worry than boys when looking at the life socially good points made here. Thanks for taking part in this Q&A

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

SAME THING I SAID IN MY ANSWERS! GREAT MINDS INDEED THINK ALIKE!

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

SAID THE SAME THING IN MY ANSWER.  GREAT MINDS INDEED THINK ALIKE!

3. VVanNess profile image78
    VVanNessposted 10 years ago

It's so funny you just asked this question. My husband and I were just talking about this. I definitely prefer boys over girls, but I have an odd reason. I'm just not a girly girl and don't think I'll know how to handle makeup, fashion, dolls, etc.

I want kids that will climb trees, digg for worms, roll in the mud and wrestle. That's how I grew up and that's what I'm comfortable with. I won't know what to do with nice dresses and kids that want to stay clean. I have to beautiful boy labs right now that are definitely all boy and I'm loving it!

I want boys.

1. DDE profile image45

You have a different view on the preference for having boys which sounds great thanks for answering this question

4. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

I guess I am not most mothers, as I cherish both my son and daughter the same and love their differences.  When pregnant, I did not want for one particular sex in a baby over the other, but that the child be a healthy child, is what I prayed and God is good to have blessed with me with my firstborn, being a beautiful daughter and then five years later a beautiful baby boy.  If a mother, especially, thinks along these lines, as you have stated in your question, then, yes, it will be damaging to the other child, which is very sad that anyone would have that mindset in lieu of loving each child for who they are and not loving them more because of what sex they happen to be.  Yes, most men do what a son to carry on the family name, but I know they should not love or prefer the other child any less!

1. DDE profile image45

Well said Faith Reaper you certainly don't mind the gender of the baby and that is rare to find in many  cultures

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, wow, thank you so much dear Devika, for choosing my answer!  I appreciate it very much.  Hugs and blessings,  Faith Reaper

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8561188_f260.jpg

Not MOST mothers but SOME mothers.   There are mothers who prefer sons because sons AREN'T as threatening to the feminine dynamic as daughters would be.  There are mothers who are IN COMPETITION w/ their daughters.  They view their daughters as the better &/or younger version of themselves.  They see in their daughters never had &/or lost opportunities.  This becomes more evident as daughters enter adolescence.

Such mothers are more comfortable with sons as they will never compete w/their mothers.  They see sons as more soothing psychologically, even psychically.  There ISN'T the feminine mano o mano that is oftentimes experienced in the mother-daughter relationships.   These mothers of sons have the female dominance of the household & DON'T have to vie w/their sons for such dominance as they would if they had daughters.

Some mothers see daughters as quite problematic because the daughters will probably surpass & eventually gain some type of dominance, even preeminence in the family & life dynamic, particularly as the mother becomes older.  Remember, the daughter is view as the younger/better version of the mother & some mothers view this very negatively w/ some becoming highly soul devouring, even destructive in the dealings w/ their daughters in order to keep the daughters "in their place" which is ALWAYS SUBORDINATE to their mothers.

Also, there are mothers who view their sons as manageable.  They contend that sons are not melodramatic as daughters are.  They maintain the sons are more stable & consistent in their wants & desires.  They even assert that sons are more forthright, saying what they mean.  They assert that daughters as girls/women can be quite erratic, even unstable.  They may even contend that daughters can be quite unmanageable because the latter are considered to be "in competition" with them for that feminine throne.  They furthermore view their daughters as typical females, using subtlety/underhandedness/manipulation to get what they what from them & other family members.

6. nomadspirit profile image95
    nomadspiritposted 8 years ago

I don't know how true your premise is. Certainly in patriarchal societies (where men are seen as more valuable than women, and the carrying on the family name is important) this may be true, but in much of the Western world, mothers love and have a closer bond with their girls (at least this has been my observation), and most mothers love both sons and daughters equally.

7. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

There is a male bias for male children, to the point China and India abort around 5% of their daughters to try to ensure a son is born.
    In many societies, sons are favored by mothers because that is her old age insurance.
    In such societies, it leads to literal discrimination against daughters, where you see sons go to school but girls don't or boys go to school until employable but girls drop out once it is no longer free. The boy gets the medical care while girls don't unless there is extra money - so female child mortality is worse worldwide. The boys get the better food in many Asian nations, while the women and girls get what is left.

8. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

I love my adult children - both boys- equally. On the sex question - "A daughter's a daughter for all of her life, a son is a son until he's a wife" I wish I had a daughter! But I would still love them all equally. The word love is an active verb i.e. work at being loving  - it's a moral duty to the child. And yes, less loved children will be resentful or even damaged.

9. GoodnewsBassey profile image59
    GoodnewsBasseyposted 6 years ago

why some mothers prefer a male child than female for their first issue is because of their family name. where i came from we value a male child than a female child.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)