Why Did Some people See George Zimmerman As The Victim And Trayvon Martin As The

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. vveasey profile image70
    vveaseyposted 10 years ago

Why Did Some people See George Zimmerman As The Victim And Trayvon Martin As The Aggressor?

Why did they believe and not question his account of how their confrontation started?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7463162_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

There are various possibilities but in a fair number of cases you might not get the 100% truth because the person's view would highlight some character flaws. Some people simply are not empathetic or are selectively empathetic, there are some others who may be biased or even racist on one or more levels. Still others may want to avoid thinking about (or having to discuss) some less than stellar issues that might be seen if they look closer or really think about how one could feel threatened if they were being followed by someone that didn't tell them who they were and also being ordered to give information to this unknown person. Also, having the true victim dead and unable to speak for himself made it easier for a large number of people to blame him for his death. In my opinion that's just as horrific as blaming a rape victim for that horrible crime against them.

3. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Most people made their judgments based on their personal beliefs without even knowing the facts of this case.  Since no one else had any inside information, witnessed this tragedy, or heard all the 'evidence' presented in court, the only conclusions that people came to were merely speculations based on their own biases. 
    There is no denying that this was a tragic event, and one can view them from any point of view they want.  But in the end, our justice system requires proof beyond any reasonable doubt to convict someone of murder, or any other crime.
    Too often juries convict innocent people based on emotional responses instead of the facts.
    Not following the law to make the victims family "feel better" is certainly no justice at all.  If the scenario were in reverse, we would be seeing the friends and family of G.Z. crying out in protest and demanding justice. 
    It is over and done with and the decisions of the jurors should be respected and put to rest instead of now putting them on trial as well.

4. prektjr.dc profile image74
    prektjr.dcposted 10 years ago

In my personal opinion, I think people see situations first and foremost from their own personal experience and perspective. Let me preface this with the statement that.. growing up...I was in the minority race of my community.  In addition, my best friend was black.  I spent half my life in her home.  Also, I raised two strong-minded sons of my own.

I taught my sons that they way they dress and act are clues that others read to "assume" what kind of person you are.  If you want people to assume you are a thug.....dress like one.  If you expect people to think well of you....dress civilized. I also taught them that nothing good comes out of being out prowling around late at night ANYWHERE. 

IF my sons had been dressed in dark, hooded clothing walking through a neighborhood that late at night....I would have EXPECTED them to be suspected of being up to no good. Martin is no better than they are.

NOW...add the fact that my oldest son is in the Military and my youngest is a Police Officer.  IF Martin had gone on about his business, he would still be alive, but he didn't.  He played macho and it backfired.  IF he had been such a precious, innocent then he would NEVER have been in the alley, never jumping out. I do not believe he was the victim.  I believe he was a punk who thought he was invincible.  He got exactly what he was giving.

Zimmerman should have STAYED in his car, but as a neighborhood watch...they are trained to walk the area and report their findings.  It isn't unusual for him to get out and walk the area to find out where the suspicious acting person is at and to report the information.  He was not doing anything unusual or out of the ordinary.  The reason his story didn't change...it was most likely the truth. 

Sorry, sometimes thugs are just that...thugs...and they die like everyone else.  No one would have heard a thing if Zimmerman had died. Why? We ALL bleed red...who cares what RACE you are...we are all Americans and we should be protesting the thugs taking over our society rather than protesting when they get what they are giving out!

It's time the decent upstanding citizens began to stand up and take back our communities.  If I were Zimmerman...I would have done the same thing AND I would have pulled the trigger too....regardless of the color of the skin of the punk!
    I'm not a bad person.  I AM tired of the decent law abiding citizens getting kicked by the media and the racist groups who only support people based on skin color.

1. taburkett profile image57
      taburkettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the media baits minorities by aggressively seeking to proclaim skin color as the reason for many criminal acts. This is wrong.
      I do not represent my friends as black, brown, off-white, etc. My friends are people that I respect.

2. S Leretseh profile image60
      S Leretsehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

prektjr.dc, wonderfully stated.  Again, I want to stress the issue that a teen socked an adult in the face.  Why? For daring to question HIM. When I was 17, I never would hv dreamed of doing such a thing.  W/ Martin, no question it was a race thing

5. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 10 years ago

Because, they weren't there! They didn't see what actually happened.

Only Zimmerman was alive to give an account of the incident. Trayvon, unfortunately didn't have the same opportunity. There were so many inconsistencies - one of them being, at first the father stated that the voice heard on the 911 call was NOT his son and then later (almost at the end of the trial) coming back to say that it was his son. Well, if Trayvon's own father could not tell the difference between Zimmerman's voice and his own son's voice, then how can the rest of us be sure of anything.

People are going to see things from their own point of view. Given their own personal experience, their viewpoint will tend to be skewed to reflect how they feel about this and that.

Trayvon, unfortunately, was a victim of his own bad choices. If anyone is to blame, it should be the parents who did not teach him to respect others. With this lack of respect, Trayvon went violent in a situation that led to his death. Sad but true.

6. S Leretseh profile image60
    S Leretsehposted 10 years ago

QUESTION: Anyone over the age of 40...when you were 17-years-old, did you EVER sock an adult in the face because he questioned you about something? Was in even on your mind to do such a disrespectful thing?! Doing it..it's called being a BULLY

Zimmerman was acting in self-defense! The known evidence is crystal clear:: The guy who uttered the only racial slur (“Cracker”) : black teen BULLY Trayvon Martin.
    The guy who lived in the community and had every right to question whomever he damn well pleased about suspicious behavior ws George Zimmerman.

The guy who didn't live in the community was black male Trayvon Martin.

The guy who was walking away from a confrontation:  George Zimmerman.

The guy who came charging up to the Zimmerman as he was walking away from a cnfrontation:: black male BULLY Trayvon Martin.

The guy who said “You gonna die tonight mother****” :: 6 ft black teen BULLY Trayvon Martin.
    The guy who threw the sucker punch (on a 28-year-old adult):: black teen BULLY Trayvon Martin.

The guy who jumped on top of a prone guy and began beating him and ramming his head into the concrete--attempting to kill him:: black teen BULLY Trayvon Martin.

The guy who sustained 100% of the face and head injuries: 28-year-old adult, 5’8” George Zimmerman.

There is a long and sustained pattern to black male racially motivated BULLYING (actually, and ironically, it all began after compulsory integration was granted to the black man by the white man [1964]).  Remember, BULLY Trayvon Martin believed he was going after a white guy.

It's time America wake up and to accept the fact that the black male BULLY is here and striking at innocent white people (just a little time searching on the INTERNET will show you just how bad this BULLYING as gotten i.e. they're doing it -and recording the attack - for amusement!). And don’t expect the black community to condemn this BULLYING behavior -- it’s counterproductive to their illusion of being victims of white racism. In fact, and most appalling to me, so many blacks actually defend the BULLYING behavior.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

7. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

It is not that I see Zimmerman as a victim - I hold both of them responsible for the confrontation.  Yes, Zimmerman started it, but Zimmerman did not walk away from it.  He hid and then attacked Zimmerman later.  Martin was on top of Zimmerman bashing his head on the concrete.  Zimmerman had a right to defend himself.  It is sad that Zimmerman had a gun  on him - this is why I believe we need gun control in this country.  Zimmerman pulled out the gun and shot Martin in self defense.  What would you do if someone was on top of you bashing your head into the concrete?   The concrete became Martin's weapon that he used on Zimmerman.  It is a truly a tragic and unfortunate situation.  There are so many what ifs?  I am sad that Martin is dead, but he wasn't altogether innocent either.

1. S Leretseh profile image60

Zimmerman DID NOT "start it".  It was Zimmerman's neighborhood (not Martin's). Adult vs. teen....teen respects adult.   Zimmerman did in fact turn and walk away. Martin sensed weakness... charged up to Zimmer. Then the sucker punch&beatdown --TO

2. taburkett profile image57

It is sad that you believe that Zimmerman should have been the one that died. As usual, society seeks to charge the innocent with false accusations because they lived. Any teen that attacks an adult is being stupid because more adults carry than not.

3. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, suzettenaples...we do not need more "gun control." The federal government is already an out-of-control beast---it doesn't need more control over our lives.

4. AlexDrinkH2O profile image74
      AlexDrinkH2Oposted 10 years agoin reply to this

" . . . the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

8. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 10 years ago

Many white people think all young black males are scary/dangerous/suspect. They can't empathize with them because they reflexively demonize them.

I personally think a lot of it is projection. White people assume blacks must hate them so they fear them without even checking it out.

I know someone(s?) will leave nasty commentary but this is what I think, and I have a right to my opinion. I've seen it in action. I grew up around it.

During the Watts riots I was waiting in line at a 7/11. Everyone in line was white and was  talking about "what's wrong with those people, burning down their own neighborhood?" and I laughed and said, "wow, would you feel better if they hopped a bus and burned down YOUR neighborhood?" I instantly knew I'd made a mistake opening my mouth. I mean, yikes. You could've cut the tension with a knife.

So I just sorta backed out slowly and left. I'm not totally stupid.

Most people don't realize how much white on white racial violence and intimidation there is in our society. More than you might think. And I believe that is why people in Florida assumed Zimmerman had to be the victim. It's a sort of silent agreement: The black kid is always the bad guy because that's what we (sic: white folks) feel most comfortable with.

1. johnsonrallen profile image89
      johnsonrallenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Racism is still alive and well all around us. While I think your opinions are merited- they are, after all, part of your life experience- I think it goes both ways as well. As a white man I feel eyes of distrust on me regularly too, just for my color

2. taburkett profile image57

Racism is used by the baiters to expand the division based on the baiter's need to control the supposed oppressed. Patriots do not utilize a hyphenated description when speaking of being American. Most whites do not feel comfortable as you suggest.

9. rebthomas profile image80
    rebthomasposted 10 years ago

I think we will never know the true story about what happened.  If people believed Zimmerman without question it is because of old prejudices that are still in place today, sadly.  But no matter what went down there is no reason to carry and use a gun on an unarmed person in this situation (being outside).  (And for the record I own a gun and would use it in my home if needed)  There are many other methods that could have stopped an attack if one truly happened.  A stun gun for instance would have worked just fine.  It is a sad story that changed the life of one person for all time and ended another life.

1. S Leretseh profile image60

Had teen  Martin showed respect to an adult he'd be alive today.  Had Martin not suckr punched the adult and then beat&rammed his head into the concrete Martin would be alive. Had zimmer NOT pulled his gun he'd be dead today.Being a BULLY has a p

10. AlexDrinkH2O profile image74
    AlexDrinkH2Oposted 10 years ago

Because George Zimmerman WAS The Victim And Trayvon Martin WAS The Aggressor -simple really.

11. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

We watched the entire trial. I felt Zimmerman was guilty, because he shouldn't have in his possession a loaded gun. That fact made me think that he planned on shooting and it may have been premeditated murder. He shouldn't have been following Trayvon either.

The fact that Trayvon was on the top of the fight bothered me though. Their was witness that said the bigger man was on the top. Zimmerman was heavier but much shorter. A forensic scientist also proved by the gunshot wound that he was on top. This fact probably made the jury feel that it was self defense.

The entire thing was a tragedy and sickened me. I think Zimmerman should have been found guilty of at least something.

why should the lawless be the only ones permitted to have guns? is it so that innocent society members can be slaughtered? A gun in the hands of a law abiding citizen is protection. When a gun is in the hands of a criminal it is premeditated.

2. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Zimmerman had a permit and a CCW license so he had every right to carry a loaded gun.
      Martin on the other hand had no right to attack someone that he thought was watching him, not illegal in any state and doesn't require a permit.

12. taburkett profile image57
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Evidence provided by the defense indicated that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. Thus the irrational actions of Trayvon generated a situation where Zimmerman was defending himself from grave danger.

Respect is not an inherent trait created through birth, but a learned trait passed down from parent to child.
    In this case, it appears that this transfer did not occur.

Any smart teenager should know it is not right to attack an adult.
    Apparently, Trayvon's parents did not teach this to their son.

1. Borsia profile image40

It seems that Trayvon was taught that violence is the answer to any situation.

13. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Probably because Zimmerman was the victim and continues to be.
    Unlike most of the commenters I read I actually watched the trial.
    Zimmerman wasn't in his car when he called 911 he was on foot. The dispatcher didn't tell Zimmerman not to follow he said "we don't need you to do that" after Zimmerman said he was following Martin. He then stopped for several minutes until the dispatcher asked if he could still see Martin or which way he went. It was then that Zimmerman proceeded in that direction.
    Martin had all of that time to be on his way and could easily reached his home.
    But he didn't he either waited hidden or circled back. What we do know is that he attacked Zimmerman. Zimmerman's keys and flashlight were found 20' from the final wrestling point.
    Ballistics proved that Martin was on top of Zimmerman when the shot was fired. If he was able to get on top of Zimmerman he would have been able to run away just as easily.
    In the end Martin died as a direct result of his own actions that night.
    I find it rather annoying that so many seem to believe that Trayvon had more of a right to wander around a private housing complex that he didn't live in than Zimmerman who was both a resident and the Neighborhood Watch point man.
    They want to completely ignore Trayvon's actions and responsibilities and many go so far as to say that somehow Zimmerman was obligated to let Trayvon kill him.
    We all have a right to defend ourselves, our loved ones and our property. Death is one of the possible consequences of taking a criminal action, especially a violent  one. And assault is a violent criminal act regardless of your reasoning.
    The one other question I had during the trial was if Martin was so afraid of Zimmerman where was his 911 call?
    This is what came out in the trial through the evidence, through the witnesses. This is what the jury and had to decide they followed the law and they couldn't have made any other verdict than not guilty.
    I realize that this isn't what many want to believe but perhaps  if they watched the trial and understood the law they would have a different view.
    The bottom line is that violence is seldom the right course of action.

1. d.william profile image73
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

i don't always agree with ur frankness, but in this case i do. i also watched the trial, & there was no evidence beyond a reasonable doubt 2 cause the jury any other choice but to acquit. Racism will never B allowed 2 end in this country/world.

14. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

The only account of it is Zimmerman's. He says that Trayvon attacked him and Zimmerman had the injuries and Trayvon did not.

1. Borsia profile image40

This is reinforced by the fact that they found his keys and flash light 20-30' from where the final fight took place. If Z were chasing M he would have had them in his hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)