How to move out of a home with overcontrolling parent and start a lige of self d

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image53
    MarioBalloposted 10 years ago

How to move out of a home with overcontrolling parent and start a lige of self dependency?

A 20 yr old male college student leaving under the roof of a very controlling mother.
    So she is your typical hispanic heritage controlling parent. I will tell you my story that might bring you back a couple of decades, some might relate it to the one experienced during your youth years. So I basically live in a "total dictatorship" house. Its citizens are not allowed to leave, except if they go to school or work. There is no way to leave for anything else. No party or vacatining by yourself/with friends. I only go to the gym, but even then I get to hear wining about the time I spend there.

2. Peggasuse profile image81
    Peggasuseposted 10 years ago

Wow!  Are you sure you're not talking about MY mother?  lol.

I grew up under the same kind of dictatorship.  I don't know what your circumstances are, but mine included a grandmother who needed me.  I didn't leave home until I was 28, and that was only because my grandmother had already passed.

If you don't have any other responsibilities at home, the best way (in my opinion) to go on your own, is to start saving money for an apartment NOW.  You said you do have a job, so put away some of your paycheck every week as a nest egg for your new life.

No one has to know what you're doing.  It's your business, and you're an adult now.  You deserve to be able to start your own life and live it to the max.

When you have enough money, have found an apartment and have everything in place, then, tell your mom.  If she's as controlling and crazy as my mother was, I actually had to run away (at 28) so as not to have to confront a woman who would have gone totally out of control.  I didn't think I deserved that, considering all the aggravation I'd already taken over that 28-year period.

Good luck!

1. profile image53
      MarioBalloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I cook 2-3 times a week. Clean once( i sort of slack on my duties)Why even bother if there wont b rewards for being a good son. If i was guaranteed the same life i have now +play time -my dictator mom= i would move to that place.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

At 20 years old, how are you not allowed to leave if you wish too? I would think she cannot physically restrain you. I would tell her honestly that you feel smothered and that if she can't lighten up a bit and let you grow up, you'll have to get an apartment and leave.  If you have a job, can you not find a roommate or two and get a place?

1. profile image53

Well she can't, but that ain't stopping her. I really hate it here. Its a nice place, but the only bad thing about it is the fact that she literary wants me to be here at night like if i was a priest or something.

4. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

First I suggest you pack your bag and have it ready, and then I suggest you tell your mother she did a very good job raising you as a child, and that you appreciate all her efforts to get you where you are today.

She's raised you to be a man, and now you intend to go out into the world and make the best of the good start she gave you. You know she's probably going to be disappointed - but you sincerely hope that one day she'll be proud of you.

Tell her you intend to keep in touch with her, but if she makes it too much of a drama that's not going to be easy ... so you are hoping that she will kiss you, and love you, and let you go and be the man she helped create.

Remind her that when she's an old lady she will probably need lots of visits from you - but right now she's strong enough to look after herself, and you are old enough to want to look after yourself.

Have your bag packed and your car keys ready, because when you give her the talk it is time to leave. Don't expect to take your bed or your pillow or any of the other goodies in your bedroom that technically belong to your mother. Just take yourself and a suitcase.

If she offers to let you take more stuff, thank her and tell her you'll be in touch once you figure out what you need. Meanwhile, just concentrate on getting yourself out. Go and sleep on the couch of a friend if you have to. smile

Once you've gone I suggest you ring up a family friend or a relative and tell them what you've done - and ask them please to keep in touch with your mother in case she gets lonely.

Phone your mother the next day and then once a week to tell her that you're okay. If she starts crying on the phone, explain that you are going to hang up and you'll call again the next week. "We'll have a longer talk then, when you are not crying."

This is not the way my adult children had to behave when they left home because I helped them pack up and move with way more junk than they probably needed, lol ... but it is pretty much what happened when I left years ago.

It is nice that your mother enjoys your company, but she has to understand that you are her son - and sons grow up to become independent adults. That's nature. She'll get used to it.  Don't give in to emotional blackmail. Life is short and you have a right to enjoy every day of it.

Good luck, young man. smile

1. profile image53

Thats a good strategy. After all the ability to save $ and the opportunity to put +time towards study is the only thing that ties me down here. If i enrolled as a part time student i could move, but then the $$ will be spent and maybe -time 2 Study.

2. LongTimeMother profile image93
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you might just have to study hard and fast until you graduate, and then make your move.

It costs nothing to dream. Just keep your eye on the future and know that when the time comes you'll be ready to go.  smile

5. Chuck Bluestein profile image61
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

I know a girl who got a great job. She wanted to move out but instead stayed there for a few years saving up her income since she did not have to pay rent. She then used that money to buy her own house. That is a great way to do it. Later she got married and bought a better house.

1. profile image53

As much as i like the idea, i don't think i would put up with them for long. I rather find a room mate and live a better quality life without having to put up with my mothers parenting bs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)