When dating, who should pay for the cost?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 10 years ago

When dating, who should pay for the cost?

Men, women or both?

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

I think it is the duty of men. But if women can afford, she can share a little bit; or else the men will say Love is Too Costly!

3. JRhodesHarvey profile image65
    JRhodesHarveyposted 10 years ago

Well firstly you need to keep in mind a "DATE" is about the dynamics between a man and a woman, based on FEMININE and MASCULINE energies, it's NOT about equality, or proving you're equal. It is also NOT about making a man and woman not have any differences on a date. Men and women need to compliment each other, IF a woman acts out the masculine roles, it's like dating a man in a skirt. And I've heard that expression many times from men. ROMANCE is not about work equality, dating has to have the opposite in masculine and feminine energies. The whole point of a date is to be a MAN and a WOMAN together, to create an air of some differences between the genders, not bring the "equality role into it"

There is absolutely nothing worse for creating that masculine and feminine connection when at the end of a date, the bill is checked for who paid what, and both put their hands in their wallet to sort out the share of the bill - how romantic and sexy is that! The trouble with women in the 21st century they have chased after equality in the workplace, but also brought it into the romantic arena, and it does not provide the right elements on a date when a woman wants to prove she can pay her share - of course she pay her share, it's not an insult to be nurtured, to be bought dinner, have a door opened, it's a recognition she is the opposite to the man where he compliments that. That is what MAN is programmed to do, to hunt, protect, and nurture if he's allowed. Any woman who wants to walk to the bar buy drinks, or count out half of the bill on a first or second date ( not once in a relationship) is demonstrating very masculine energies, as though she forgets the situation she's actually in - which is not the boardroom! The more opposite a man and a woman are when it comes to romance the better. There are other ways to chip in -invite him to a film, may be dinner at some other point, but never share out a bill IF you want to keep a romantic relationship!

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You made some excellent points! However if it is the woman who (asks) a man out to lunch or whatever she should in my opinion be prepared to pay. Naturally some women believe they should always be "passive" and therefore they never ask a man out.

2. JRhodesHarvey profile image65
      JRhodesHarveyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It has nothing to do with courtesy, passive or active. Nor IF you go out with a partner a female should not pay. This is aimed at EARLY "DATING" and building new romantic foundations. Splitting bills, regardless who asks is a KILLER for romance!

3. dashingscorpio profile image81

No woman should ask a man out and (expect) HIM to pay for (her) suggestion! Traditionally women were (passive) they waited to be asked out. Asking a man to take you out with the intention of him paying is the same as a child asking their parents.

4. JRhodesHarvey profile image65
      JRhodesHarveyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We're moving away from the topic here. No one is suggesting IF a woman asks a man out she shouldn't pay for dinner. Nor is this about LTR, sharing etc. It's just about the initial dates of a simple drink or two, and a good way of creating romance!

5. dashingscorpio profile image81

JRohdesHarvey, The question is: "When dating, who should pay for the cost?" We haven't gone off topic unless (you assume) it is (always the man) who asks the woman out. My answer of (whoever asks  pays) makes no assumption regarding gender.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image76
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I'm old-fashioned.  I've always believed if a gentlemen caller invited me out on a date, then he should pay.  I rarely have ever asked a man out before.  I've always been the one asked out.  But in the case of my husband, when I ask him to go have a bite to eat with me, I pay (and vice versa).  I like to treat him the way I like to be treated.  Pampering him, I feel, is a good way to show him I appreciate how hard he works for me and our family.

When I was dating someone years ago, the first date he paid.  The second date, after eating our meals at the restaurant HE recommended, he asked me to pay for 1/2 of the bill. I paid 1/2.  It just turned me off that he invited me out and then asked for 1/2 of the bill after the fact. 

I think it comes down to courtesy.

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Whomever extended the invitation should be prepared to pay the check regardless of their gender!
    Generally speaking men ask women out the majority of the time and end up paying. However in long-term relationships, living together, or married oftentimes a "suggestion" of going out leads to the couple going out. It's not uncommon for them to take turns paying or if they have joint accounts it's all coming from the same pot.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I agree with the responses that say whoever does the inviting should pay. While the guy seems to be the one who usually asks for the date, I always offer to pay every other time. I think relationships should be a 50/50 deal in every aspect so that includes paying for a night out.

7. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 10 years ago

The man should pay.  He's the one who is supposed to be doing all the work in the beginning of a relationship.  He has to win the woman over.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81

"He's the one who is supposed to be doing all the work in the beginning of a relationship." Sounds a little outdated to me. I think whoever asks someone to go out should pay and no (one person) should do (all the work) if the interest is mutual. :-)

8. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 10 years ago

I think both depending if it was a mutual decision to go dating.I personally do not feel comfortable not paying when I dated. I prefer to pay  even though the person I am going out on a date insists on paying and being a gentleman about it. I know this sounds strange especially if a man is trying his hardest to impress. I feel I am being bought when a man pays for a dinner date.If I pay, I feel like I am an equal ground and not obligated to stick around or see him again had the date went wrong.

9. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 10 years ago

Thank you for the responses. Courtesy is always nice and the agreement of course. There are silent agreements and we can get the cue from it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)