Do you prefer long or short nails?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. sparkleyfinger profile image84
    sparkleyfingerposted 10 years ago

Do you prefer long or short nails?

I have recently began growing my nails. As a lifetime biter, I have been used to the shortness, but I like the look of longer nails. As they are growing, I am noticing that I dont like the feeling of them against objects. Is the discomfort worth it? Are long nails better?

2. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

I personally prefer short nails as they seem to get in the way when longer. There is a balance where they do look nice a bit longer but not so long that you cant do  things like cooking/dishes easy ! I hate it when they break as well.

sparkleyfingerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm scared of breakages!! I know what you mean about doing things... How women with inch long nails can function is beyond me!

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I like some length if kept clean and neat. I hate the long claw-like things.  They always look like some version of Nightmare on Elm Street.

I agree... just over the fingertip is my length the now, and im thinking of keeping it that way!

4. havingmysay profile image60
    havingmysayposted 10 years ago

When I was younger I bit my nails all the time. The nervousness of a situation made nail biting a terrible habit I formed.  As I got older, I grew out of it. I began seeing others with longer nails and pretty designs, and that is when I thought my little nubs could use some work.  I have grown my nails to the point where they were half an inch long and very hard. The downside of longer nails is if they happen to break...yikes! I once broke a nail down to the meat! It bled and hurt terribly! I put a band-aid on it to try to cover what was now a two-part nail.  I clipped the remaining part when the pain subsided a few days later and it was terribly uneven for a while.

It is definitely all about preference and also how active you are comes into play. It is easier to keep longer nails when you do not do much, but even when it comes to housework, your nails can be affected.

I prefer a nail length were the nail comes up to the end of the finger an/or maybe a bit past it, but not much. I have an iPhone and notice when my nails are long, my texts are horrible.  I also type a lot at work and my finger will slip off the keys if my nails are too long. With nails this length, you can still utilize nail polish and sticker designs and they are not the length that will frighten little kids. In addition, with nails this length, you should still be able to feel objects with your finger than your nail and there is minimal discomfort, if there is even any at all.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Great answer! I am in a similar situation, and have bitten my nails since childhood. I just like the ability to use nail polish without covering my fingertips!

5. profile image36
    shikhagautamposted 10 years ago

Personally i like short (not extremely short) neat nails, which you can make look cute with nail polish.They're easier to manage and look clean .I used to grow out my nails but I would accidentally scratch people, which wasn't good.

6. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 10 years ago

When I was younger, I used to bite my nails. Not to the point of permanent damage, but they were always short. For the past few years I've been trying to keep them at a nice length (just over my fingertips), and I quite like how they look.
    However I don't keep them too long because I'm always doing something with my hands (drawing, painting, cleaning, playing guitar and piano etc.) and long nails can become a burden then.

same! being creative is always a strain for a manicure tongue

7. Steve Burgess profile image57
    Steve Burgessposted 10 years ago

I have short nails and i liked it. Earlier i have seen my so many friends having longer nails and it looks so pretty also when they maintain them beautifully. If you care properly your nails like cleaning them properly making beautiful art then its good to be long nails otherwise go for short nails specially for the hygiene point of view as many dirt particles which can't be easily visible through naked eyes are capture through our nails and they give sometime infections also.

1. profile image36
      shikhagautamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

if you see hygiene then short nail is best. normally i have seen many people naila are big and dirty

2. sparkleyfinger profile image84

I know what you mean! Luckily, I am a clean freak, so my nails are always spotless!

8. Jasmeetk profile image78
    Jasmeetkposted 10 years ago

I do prefer long nails because they can illustrate my nail art very well. Anyhow, long nails start paining as well. So, I do cut my nails after sometime. Touchwood my nail growth is very good. big_smile

Thanks! Yeah, I'm still trimming mine down now and then... Usually when they get so long to start snapping themselves. I'm loving all the nail art options I have now!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)