How do I know when a job is bad and I should quit vs life is tough and I should

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sarah Andersonposted 10 years ago

How do I know when a job is bad and I should quit vs life is tough and I should just knuckle under?

Like many college grads I can't get a job in my field so I'm stuck doing jobs that don't exactly suit my abilities. And people are mean to me.

2. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 10 years ago

Been there still here.  I have been working for one company 19 years and in the past year the boss and the company have totally turned to computers telling the truth and all the reps lie.

My boss fired a rep because the computer showed incorrect information and instead of doing some investigating. I had the same situation and he didn't fire me how bad it that.
    I did the investigating and proved that it wasn't the other rep or my fault but a problem with the computer system,
    He didn't fight for the other rep like a real boss would but I did and I am just a grunt on the bottom rung of the ladder.
    His day will come.

1. profile image0
      JustCraftyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My boss is having me do things that he should be doing and now I am getting behind on my work.  I have been sending backup emails to his boss because if you don't get your work done that is cause for termination.

3. laurathegentleman profile image68
    laurathegentlemanposted 10 years ago

In this economy, a lot of people are working in jobs that they don't exactly love, simply to make a living. Sometimes we have to just suck it up and stick it out. But it's never wrong to be looking for a different job - and you should never quit what you have until you've lined up something else.

That being said - if you absolutely HATE this job, it is necessary that you start seeking employment elsewhere as quickly as possible. It's not worth forcing yourself to just hang in there. Take the time to look for something better. It doesn't necessarily have to be THE job you want, but you need to work your way into someplace you'll be more comfortable and happy.

Another option is to look into gaining a different set of skills, maybe by going back to school? GOOD LUCK!

4. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 10 years ago

First understand that you always have the power. Everything you want will come from your own mind and your belief system. You have to see yourself as successful in your field, then your mind will open a way for you to enter into it. It has nothing to do with others situations. Your mind works exclusively for you if you allow it. As far as mean people, thats part of life. Some jobs have mean, miserable people and some jobs have happy people. The choice is yours. No matter where you work, you can control your thoughts and emotions and stay happy. How you feel is up to you only. It has nothing to do with others or whatever they are doing. If you decide not to master your own moods, then it's best to find a positive environment. You can find it if you keep affirming, believing and don't give up.

1. profile image0

Thank you for this positive, motivational and very true post.
      I am going to stick this job with the issues until I hear from the big boss.  After 19 years of investment of my time with this company its either me or my boss that will be still here.

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank YOU Sri T.One needs a positive mindset in order to succeed.  Success starts w/a positive mindset.The OP needs to believe that she will succeed & that she deserves the BEST that life has to offer.She has to get out of the settlement mentalit

5. Au fait profile image82
    Au faitposted 10 years ago

Is it wise for a person to quit their job in this economic environment if they have no new job lined up?  What if the work environment is horrible and a person dreads going to work?  What can you do? read more

6. Au fait profile image82
    Au faitposted 10 years ago

You have inspired me to write a hub in response to this question.  I expect to publish it Tuesday morning, September 3rd.  Hope you will find some help in making your decision within my article.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

That is a tough call. I think I would knuckle under and do the best job you can. And keep looking for something else in the meantime.  If you quit, with jobs so scarce, it might be a while before you can find something else.

1. profile image0

I am hoping they will fire me so I can draw unemployment off them because last year when we were laid off for two weeks I filed and they said I would get more than I am making a week working.

2. Au fait profile image82
      Au faitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You get no unemployment when you are fired or when you quit unless you can prove that you were wrongfully fired or that you had a good reason for quitting (health issues, for example).

3. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was going to say unemployment does not work if you were fired for misconduct. You would have to have been wrongly fired or laid off.

8. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8466117_f260.jpg

Oh dear, oh dear.  I had such an experience when I graduated from college. My first job was working in tax as a clerk typist.  I hated the job.  I felt that a rhesus monkey with eyes closed could easily perform the job.  I distanced myself from the job.   I complained so much that my parents indicated that there were advancement tests that I could take.   I eventually advanced to a professional position where I worked until retirement.

However, I am going to tell you something.  Don't stay in a job you hate.  It is NOT good for your self-esteem, mental and emotional health.  I advise you to quit that job.  Do something else, even if it is working from home online.  Working on a job that one despises is selling your soul and committing soul suicide.  No job is worth it!  Do an internment while doing some paid tutoring on the side.  Do not remind in a job that you hate.  Eventually, that hatred will reflect in your work performance.   You are not going to perform at your most optimum level in a job that you hate.  You will only do enough to not to get terminated. 

Your co-workers and supervisor will eventually detect your hostile job attitude and will treat you accordingly.   Even though you think you are a satisfactory employee in a hated job, the facts oftentimes reveal otherwise.  If one dislikes/hates his/her job, he/she will perform perfunctorily.  He/she will not care as to how he/she performs that job.  Eventually, his/her work performance will be so minimum that he/she will be terminated.   Even if his/her work performance is satisfactory, his/her attendance will reflect this hatred/dislike of the job.  He/she will take off as many days as possible just to stay away from the job.  Poor time and attendance also lead to termination. 

Also, this toxic attitude spills over to personal and familial relationships.  People who hate/dislike their jobs are not pleasant people to be around.  They can become abusive especially to the more vulnerable members of their families.  They are also more likely to abuse and be addicted to controlled substances in order to dull the mental pain from that job.  My advice is to QUIT and look for something more to your liking.  You don't have to be ENSLAVED to a job that you hate!  Quit that job NOW!

9. Jacqueline4390 profile image83
    Jacqueline4390posted 10 years ago

Sometimes it can be a health issue. With me I was working to the point that I spent as much time taking medication for migraine headaches than enjoying my off time.

Being self employed is tough but rewarding. It's definitely an option; one that I LOVE!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)