What does the term, "Familiar Spirit", per the Bible, mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Missing Link profile image68
    Missing Linkposted 10 years ago

What does the term, "Familiar Spirit", per the Bible, mean to you?

It seems the Bible takes a negative attitude towards familiar spirits warning that they are dangerous, deceptive, etc.  I tend to agree.   What do you think?  What are some examples of familiar spirits?  What are some activities that can get you in trouble with a familiar spirit? 

Thanks!

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

It is a very strange term. The old testament uses it directly. In modern parlance "familiar" really means "close like family" But the old testament is more direct that it is some kind of Voodoo. Simon was such a guy. So would be the non-scriptural "wise men" of Magi. I think if we look closely we see that "Luke the Physician" must of had some alchemy in his history. Apparently Saul - before being Paul -- had some stuff.
    What a fantastic question. Science if thought of as opposed to faith would be this "familiar Spirit" as would be any secular philosophy and certainly Psychiatry. It seems that anything close to Yoga and transcendental meditation would fall to this term.
    This weeks Gospel reading for most Catholics gets real strange and I like it. It tells us to hate family. Well it is Jesus telling us to reject the world, but taken literally it is just down right crazy. It literally reads from Luke 14: 26 "If any one comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple"
    In that Christ was not known for teaching hate --- We must assume he is speaking somewhat of this "familiar Spirits" And again we must note this is attributed to Luke the Physician who certainly was not an eye witness but an erstwhile  historian at what we think was Paul's request.

So with all that, Said I can answer your question. "the world"!! It is like a dichotomy we have to love in this world, each other, no danged matter what. But we have to reject the world no danged matter what. Familiar Spirits are like Gurus of Alchemy and so is a nagging wife and car payments or an abusive man.

I beg my people to just lay down that "familiar Spirit" for at least a few minutes a day and empty that heart of the "familiar Spirit" and fill it back up with love. I spent almost a whole week once studying the concept of an empty or half empty cup. (I know that is weird but hey I have a degree in philosophy and preach - to that is weird as well) I even emptied the cup and stared. No matter what I did the cup was never empty. Sometimes it was filled with life giving air and sometimes with life giving water -- but never empty.

I beg my people further to engage the world, love a homeless and hug that "familiar Spirit" that needs it more than I.

Missing Linkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eric,  Like you,  do not think Jesus meant to hate your family literally---I think what he meant is to reject the  world ---so we agree on this aspect.  Thanks for your interest\ing feedback and sorry everyone it has taken me so long respond.

3. thomasczech profile image45
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

The term "familiar Spirit" means for example, if a person is dealing with Lust, and that person speaks to another person dealing with that then the spirits of lust can convince both to engage in that area with one another.
    Familiar spirits in people will try to persuade people to give in. The spirits will convince the people that it is OK to act on whatever sin they are struggling with.

1. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

that is not a scriptural definition , it is a modern false definition.  scripturally it involves necromancy.

2. Steel Engineer profile image79
      Steel Engineerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is definitely something that happens. The term celaFOE is using is a Hebrew word, 'owb, Strong's 178. It is a kind of spirit that either IS a spirit of the dead, or is used to pose as the dead. IN modern English, familiar spirit is as you say.

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Celefoe, I think it has more to do with "dead to God" (as Glynch aludes) It is that spirit portion in us that is not perfectly pure in heart to God. I only know folks like that - that are not perfect. I suppose demonic possession of a portion of us.

4. celafoe profile image54

eric-- you may think that but that does  not make it  scripturally correct.    It definately refers to speaking to the dead-- necromancy   see my comment below  strong 178-OT

5. Missing Link profile image68

Thanks for taking the time to answer the question!

4. glynch1 profile image67
    glynch1posted 10 years ago

What the term "means to me" is irrelevant; what matters is what it meant to the original audience. According to one authority, a "familiar spirit" is a "divining demon present in the physical body of the conjurer" (Merrill Unger, Unger's Bible Dictionary, 344). The demon is "familiar" in that in it was on intimate terms with and might be readily summoned by the one possessing it (344).

"Hating" one's family has nothng to do with this current subject. The term "hate" is a Hebraism that means that a true disciple's love for his family must come in second place to his love for God; it obviously does not mean that he should literally hate his father and mother.

Thanks for answering!

5. Steel Engineer profile image79
    Steel Engineerposted 10 years ago

In the Kingdom of Satan, demons are assigned to particular individuals. They follow them, and learn their weaknesses, strengths, history, and things about them the person does not even realize.
    This spirit is "familiar" with that person. Ex-Satanist and former psychic fortune teller John Ramirez has a testimony about how he used the familiar spirits of his clients to tell them their lives.
    See this hub on how these work:
    http://manfrommodesto.hubpages.com/hub/ … rticipants

1. celafoe profile image54

that is not the meaning of a "familiar spirit" according to scripture.   those spirits may be fmiliar to the person but a "familiar spirit" is refererring to necromancy, communicating with the dead.  Speaking to or for the dead.

2. Steel Engineer profile image79
      Steel Engineerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex … &t=KJV
      It may be a little more complex than that. However, it seems you are closer than I was. Peace.

3. Missing Link profile image68

Thanks much for participating and taking the time!

6. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

what it means to me is not of any value.  the only meaning with value is what does it mean in scripture.  This is that answer.

For scriptural definitions we cannot go to a dictionary, we must go to scripture and the meaning of the original language words used.
    The specific term "familiar spirits" does not appear in the new testament.   It appears three times in the old testament.
    The word used for "familiar spirit" in the 3 instances it appears is always the same word.

OT:178   'owb (obe); from the same as OT:1 (apparently through the idea of prattling a father's name); properly, a mumble, i.e. a water skin (from its hollow sound); hence a necromancer (ventriloquist, as from a jar):
    KJV - bottle, familiar spirit.

So for  a familiar spirit to be present  witchcraft must be involved, including necromancy, as in communicating with a dead  persons spirit.  Under old testament law anyone doing this was to be killed.   Of course in the new we "KILL" them by converting them to Christianity, when possible , which in effect kills that evil spirit or we rebuke them and stay away from them     .   Which also means a psychic, a medium, a taro card reader, or what ever name they go by, all types of witchcraft are to be avoided.    And if we are ministering Christianity , then these spirits must be removed (cast out).    Of course the good thing is they must respond and leave by the command in the name of Jesus, if the person commanding has the right to use that Name  --  In other words-- is a Christian baptized in the Holy Spirit.  and the person with the spirit agrees to them leaving.
    Or as scriptures tell,  leave them alone or they return with many more evil spirits.

Interestingly the note says as a ventriloquist, as if maybe ventriloquism came by way of mediums as a way of pretending to be the dead person speaking?

Also interestingly in the new testament, there is no list of demonic spirits, the closest to a list is when they were called legion because they were many.   but that's another subject.
    The most interesting thing to me is that in order for there to be a "familiar spirit" the person with that spirit MUST be possessed by it  (be under the control of it).   So contrary to what some demon chasers teach it is not possible for a Christian to have a "familiar spirit" and where they are present the person must be delivered from them prior to or during conversion.

one other note"  The reason why scripture tells us we must "discern spirits) is because many that call themselves "prophets" these days are not and are actually operating in witchcraft.    This is true in most "churches of men".

1. Ericdierker profile image45

I do not get where you get this all or nothing concept. And this notion of Christians being perfect is outside any understanding that I know of. But then again it seems you think you are a perfect Christian.  That's cool. Confess no error my friend.

2. celafoe profile image54

eric-- there you go again false accusations.   I am not perfect and certainly never professed to be but I do understand the bible and believe it.  When proven to be in error I repent .  Can you say the same?

3. Ericdierker profile image45

I do not use proof for spiritual matters. I love to debate and argue but it is irrelevant to me. My beliefs have never and will never be based on proof. Interpretation of the bible should not be dictated by teachers and preachers like you and me.

4. Missing Link profile image68

Hi Celafoe, a Ouija Board, depending on how it is used, could fall within the jurisdiction of familiar spirits don't you think?  I'm choosing your response as best answer.  Thanks so much!  Thanks much everybody!!

7. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

What "familiar spirit" means to me is simple to me. Someone who is, or has become, aware or familiar with their own spirit.

Thanks TE!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)