Do you include a copyright notice in your articles? Why or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crystal Tatumposted 10 years ago

Do you include a copyright notice in your articles? Why or why not?

I never do this, but I see that a lot of folks on here do. Just wondering what the opinions are out there.

2. Heather Says profile image94
    Heather Saysposted 10 years ago

I always cite my original pics as copyrighted.  I also use the Hub feature to include the copyright notice at the bottoms of my articles.  I never used to do either option-- then many of my hubs were copied all over the internet last year.  It turned me into a bit of a crotchety old man... for lack of a better metaphor.  I since filed claims and had them removed.  I've noticed since putting copyright info on my hubs that I don't see my content copied as much as I used to so maybe it deters people?  Who knows.  I really like the hub option to include the copyright info at the bottom of my hubs.  I've only been doing that recently because it's a new feature.  At the end of the day, people and bots will copy it all anyway, so I can understand why some people don't bother.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think of it as a professional signature, among other things: like an artist who signs a painting. It's just appropriate and professional and might deter some theft. It's not costing anything to put the statement on there, so why not?

3. profile image0
    Crystal Tatumposted 10 years ago

Thanks Heather Says. I have been away from HubPages for a while and didn't even realize there was a new feature for copyrights. I think I'm going to put that to use from here on out.

4. jaydawg808 profile image81
    jaydawg808posted 10 years ago

In my pieces that I do write, I definitely include a copyright notice.  It's because this is my original piece of work.  But it seems to me, not many people care about copyrights and adhering to what people write as their own works.  I've seen several pages that have copied my wording exactly as it is on my hubs.  Unless you actually seek out these people by searching, there is no way of you to know they're stealing your work.  And it's next to impossible to get them to take it down.  The internet is brutal, I tell you!

"The internet is brutal, I tell you!" :-) That it is, my friend. And, people are shameless and unscrupulous, too. A copyright notice can only help to protect us against such idiocy and ignorance and malice.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

I did but I still found several hubs copied in full to other sites...so it did no good.

Most thieves are unscrupulous, duffsmom! Keep putting the copyright statement on there anyway--it will do no harm, and might deter a few potential thieves or innocent idiots who believe that everything on the internet is free for the taking.

6. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 10 years ago

I like the new copyright notice feature and always use it now. Previously I had my own copyright notice but I find this feature much easier.  I have had my writing stolen but this feature seems to have slowed that down.

7. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 10 years ago

Yes I do mostly include a copyright notice when I publish a Hub now.  This was because I found several of my Hubs copied and published on other sites online earlier this year.  When I am able to tell the website owner that the page is infringing on my copyright it is useful to be able to state my Hub clearly has a copyright notice on the page, and also I do it to ensure it's clear to anyone who is considering copying my text that the page is copyrighted.

8. Don Bobbitt profile image85
    Don Bobbittposted 10 years ago

Absolutely! Even though you may not have filed for Copyright protection formally, you should "date and sign" your work to document it as yours and as being protected. The Copyright notice mark is an indication that your work is yours, it is protected, and you intend to formally file for protection, eventually.
    DON

9. Stephanie Henkel profile image93
    Stephanie Henkelposted 10 years ago

Even though it is not technically necessary (all of your work is copyright as soon as you publish it here), I like to include the copyright notice on my hubs. I think that it shows the public that you are serious and possessive about your writing. I have used both my own copyright notice in the last text capsule of my hub and the new copyright feature in edit mode. I'm not sure which is more effective, or if it makes any difference, but I definitely want one or the other on all of my writing.

10. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Unfortunately, displaying a copyright notice will only protect you from having your work used by 'honest' people.  For example, some people mistakenly think that HubPages is like EzineArticles, where anyone is allowed to repost something they find on the website.

I always use a copyright notice on my Hubs and have found that it helps when I file a DMCA notice against plagiarists. One of the problems with HubPages is that the date of your Hub changes with each edit.  This looks like the date you first published the Hub, and I have problems from that when filing against plagiarists. A properly written copyright notice on a Hub can help overcome that assumption. 

When HubPages introduced the new Style Tips, it also invented the automatic copyright notice that Hubbers can use and began "actively discouraging Text Capsule copyright notices." However, you can still create your own copyright notice, and that is what I do for these reasons:

1.  The HP automatic copyright for Hubs does not reflect the actual year content was first published because HP has no idea when the content was first published, nor under what name copyright is held. The HP notice chooses the wrong name and date for my work. Your copyright notice should reflect the date you created the work, which is not necessarily the date you uploaded it to HubPages.

2. When HP started this new copyright option, it was presented with: "From a design standpoint, the numerous styles of copyright notices contribute to an inconsistent experience for HubPages visitors."  And yet this is not the reality.  The notice created for authors is vastly different from the one at the bottom of each page for the HubPages Inc. copyright statement. Notice that the suggested one for authors leaves out the "All Rights Reserved", which my counsel says is a critical omission.

3. Most visitors can't even find the suggested copyright notice in its cluttered location on the Hub and in the tiny grey font.

Since using your personal copyright notice in a Hub will generate a Style Tip warning, on newer Hubs I display my copyright notice in an image.

HubPages Inc. will do nothing if your work is plagiarized.  It fails to send a DMCA notice even when the entire site has been duplicated.  Since the onus to protect your work is on each individual author, I strongly recommend the use of a personal copyright notice.

I put my notice at the bottom of each Hub.

I totally agree, Writer Fox! Couldn't have said it better! Thanks for enumerating things so clearly. I, too, put my notice at the bottom of each article, though I take a "hit" with the style tips, which I think is totally unfair and unethical of HP.

11. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

I show it on everything I write.  According to the US Copyright Office, a writer's words are automatically copyrighted, whether in print or online.  However, they recommend showing the approved copyright verbiage (such as provided by HP) to cover the writer in the event a plagiarism issue ever goes to court.  It protects the writer.  If I were you, I would show it on everything you post and mark it on all you write and store on your computer.

Excellent advice! I totally agree!

12. Patkay profile image90
    Patkayposted 10 years ago

I do not put that copyright notice on my hubs. I think these thieves will still do it even when there is a copyright notice. That is my view. But after reading some of the replies, it seams it is worthy having one in place.

It may deter a few potential thieves, Patkay, so you might as well: nothing to lose!

13. epbooks profile image81
    epbooksposted 10 years ago

I definitely do.  It is super easy to steal content from the web, so I think it's important we use the copyright notice.  I don't formally copyright each post, but I do copyright my books with the copyright office.

14. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 10 years ago

I do now that Hubpages offers that feature. Dishonest people will still steal others work of course. But it may protect your writing from honest people who may not understand copyright law.

15. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I do but that doesn't stop people from being thieves. I have found my hubs copied in their entirety or in part elsewhere on the web. I still think it's a good idea to show that you mean business and make sure you follow up when you find your work has been stolen or used without your permission.

16. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

I didn't use a copyright notice on any of my hubs for months when I first started but since the great plagiarism debate about 4-6 months ago here on HP I decided to add the symbol and write a little note.
    This debate was based on the discovery of two sites set up to scrape the content of HP and publish hundreds of stolen hubs!! Mine included. These two awful sites are no longer operating but no doubt others will turn up and do similar 'illegal' things.

I was outraged and wanted to do something to counteract the feelings of helplessness.

Writing online is a dangerous business. There are no absolute guarantees that your work will not be copied, stolen or plagiarised. All we can do as writers is to keep writing quality content and when nasty things do happen act swiftly and together. Many hubbers are now seasoned campaigners. I salute those who act positively.

I wish you a smooth writing career!!

Thanks, chef-du-jour! I totally understand your feelings and your response--some of my work was stolen, too. I only wonder how much of it was stolen and published in other languages? Scary thought! Happy writing to you!

17. profile image50
    romasenposted 10 years ago

Every article is a Piece of creative work, and the creator has a natural right over it, hence you cannot be stopped from clearly Displaying your name and contact info. It is your constitutional right as well as natural right that cannot be challenged

Well said! HubPages's standard copyright statement is insufficient, according to my attorney, so I use my own even though I get dinged for it by HubPages (totally unfairly in my opinion!).

18. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

i agree. I have some of my hubs with small notice that it it copyright by me. I don't use the feature at HP. Seems that need to pay money, is it?

19. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I work hard on my articles for HubPages, and don't want to see them stolen. If someone chooses to steal my work, I want to be very sure they know that they are stealing something from me, personally. So, I use a custom copyright statement (for which HubPages dings me) recommended to me by my lawyer to protect my work and myself in cases where I have used trademarks, for example, in my article or photos that I did not take myself. (Though, I rarely use photos I didn't take myself, however. Mostly in my earliest articles, and I'm going back and replacing them with my own photos when possible.)

The statement that I always use is, "All text, photos, videos, and graphics in this document are Copyright © 2013 Laura D. Schneider unless indicated otherwise or unless in the public domain. All rights reserved. All trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners." I place this at the bottom of all of my articles. Using the word "Copyright" (spelled out) is extraneous, but my lawyer felt that it supplemented the (c) symbol for those in perhaps other countries who were not familiar with it. The word is also translated, should an auto-translation program be used to convert my article into a different language, so it makes the point in the person's native language in that case. Note that the year of the copyright obviously changes depending on what year it is. :-) That's the only variable. For photos, I include the statement, "Copyright © 2013 Laura D. Schneider. All rights reserved." This statement goes in the "source" box, not the comments/caption box.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)