What's your driving like?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

What's your driving like?

Approximately 86% of drivers have admitted to eating or drinking while driving.
    Approximately 37% of drivers have texted while driving at least once, while 18% of drivers have said they have formed the habit of doing it often.
    Approximately 41% of adult drivers have set or changed a GPS system while driving, and 21% do it “more frequently.”
    Approximately 36% of adult drivers have used a map as road guidance while driving.
    At least 1 out of every 5 drivers have admitted to combing or styling their hair while driving.

I admit I drive a little too quickly some times

What about you?

2. thomasczech profile image45
    thomasczechposted 10 years ago

When I still drove, before my injuries, I drove very safely. Prior to joining the military I was a firefighter and have heard of and seen far too many accidents due to stupidity. It bothers me when I see people still talking or texting while driving, speeding, setting GPS etc. There is no need for any of this. Also, with all the education and enforcing of the dangers of drinking and driving or drugs and driving it boggles the mind that people still do this.

1. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"My Mazarati does 185.
      I lost my license; now I don't drive."
      ~ Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good", 1976.

3. carlajbehr profile image86
    carlajbehrposted 10 years ago

I'm more cautious as I age.   Maybe it's because I know the ramifications of accidents on my insurance.   I must admit, I've done some of the above - shamefully, but for the most part, I attempt to be very careful.

4. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

For the most part I believe I am a safe driver.  I admit to changing a radio station or eating while driving.  I may on occasion comb my hair, but I only use a hands free car phone and I try to obey the law and keep my speed down. None of us are perfect even the ones who have never had a violation, it only means nobody caught us. Safe travels mean all of us paying attention. I am praying everyone practices safe driving habits.

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Everyone seems to have different ideas about what is safe or not, unfortunately, but like you I hope everyone does their best for everyone's sake!

5. jstfishinman profile image60
    jstfishinmanposted 10 years ago

As a professional truck driver since 1995, I can attest to seeing just about everything done while driving, including some X-rated.
    I have witnessed a MG Midget go underneath a truck to hit an exit. People reading their newspaper while driving, as well as women putting on their make-up and eye liner while driving at 70 mph. Cell phones are the worst though, you question whether you have a drunk driver coming up on you and as they go by, you see that they are texting and having to make corrections as the car drifts.
    It is amazing to watch a 2,000 lb. projectile going down the road and have people acting like they are sitting in their living room.
    I have witnessed some of the most horrific wrecks in my years of driving, most caused by inattention. I hate to say it, but we have professionals that drive like 4 wheelers (cars) sometimes, but most truck drivers are very attentive, since it takes us 4 times as long to get stopped as a car.
    Knock on wood, I have 2,000,000 miles of accident free driving, that I thank God for daily. Especially being out on the road with people doing everything and more than you statistics said.
    75% of all accidents involving big rigs are caused by cars, according to both U.S. and Canadian transportation depts. 
    It is always important to remember that lives are at stake when your behind the wheel. Not only you and your families, but also every other driver and their families. Be safe out there on the roads, we all appreciate the effort.

6. profile image0
    Joy I-Shine Greyposted 10 years ago

I have been a licensed driver since 1999, and I still don't always feed comfortable behind the wheel.  I try not to do anything to distract my attention.  When I drive others in my car I am even more conscious about driving safe.

7. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 10 years ago

I'm a good driver prone to road rage.

In the 30 years I've been driving I've only been in 3 accidents and the first one happened three weeks after I'd gotten my license.  As I drive a manual transmission (stick), it's nearly impossible to text or talk on my phone without a hands free device.  I'm guilty of drinking coffee while in the car, but usually only at a light or at a long straight stretch of road.  I keep a good stopping distance between myself and the car in front of me and, provided that the car in front of me is not an SUV, I watch the brake lights of the car in front of the car in front of me.

So, yeah, I'm a good driver.

8. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

I am a fairly cautious driver, but I wasn’t when I was young. I ran around in high school with a bunch of hot rodders, and I learned every trick in the book. After I hit middle age and totaled a car out of carelessness while driving my son to high school, I slowed down and started watching where I was going. I find that since my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, I drive slower and leave lots of space between me and the car in front, which usually results in the space being filled by several other cars. Then I find myself tailgating the last one until I get to the exit ramp. I have no desire to text while driving, and if I get a call, I pull over to a safe place to answer it. If I’m not in time, I call the person back either then or later. I used to drive an SUV, and I drove it courteously and safely. Now I drive a Prius that just doesn’t have the spunk of a fuel waster, and other motorists get annoyed because I can’t risk everyone’s life by doing 60 in a quarter like they can.

9. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 10 years ago

My driving habits are pretty good. I do not talk or text while driving. I will pull over to answer the phone. I do not eat while driving. I will take a drink of my soda, as I start to cough when my throat gets dry, but I use a straw so it doesn't get in my way. I do not have a GPS and I look at the map before I get in the car. I write my notes and if I have a question on them, I pull over to check them. My hair just gets touched to push it out of my face until I get where I am going. Then I will pull out a brush. I usually tie it back when I am getting ready to go.
    I must be doing pretty good. I have been driving for 35 years and have only had one accident. My brakes failed that time. I had just gotten it back from the shop where they worked on them. I was not at all happy with the mechanic and he paid to fix my car and the pole I ran into.

10. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

I do all of the above, except text (my phone doesn't send or receive text messages), use a GPS (I don't have one), and comb / style my hair (I wear braids).  To make things even more interesting, when I worked 60 - 80 hours a week, I even drove long distances without getting sleep (I consumed energy drinks for this purpose; playing heavy metal music and talking on the phone also helped).  Yet, I have had very few accidents, all fender-benders.  So I'll say I'm a good driver; I certainly have a good record.
    I once met a guy who READS while driving!  Now that's crazy!  If I want a story, I'll listen to radio dramas.
    Anybody watch TV while driving????? (I don't!).

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From your comments, and from having "several fender-benders", I'd say you have room for improvement in your driving, Say Yes To Life. Unless those things are all in your past, you don't sound like a very safe or conscientious driver to me.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image78
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good news, Laura - it's in the past. I now get plenty of sleep, and I use a hands-free device talking while driving. My last fender-bender was 7 years ago, and my last speeding ticket was 3 years ago.
      INotice no one here admits to being a bad driver?

11. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I am an "old soul" when it comes to this and don't take kindly to seeing people putting devices over their own safety and mine. I don't use navigation, maps, phones, etc. while driving. If I am at a red light, I may change the music but I pay attention so I don't keep people waiting when the light turns green. I know people who have injured themselves or others while driving distracted and in my opinion they are idiots.
    I've seen a redhaired lady pull all her hair over her face while entering a freeway entrance ramp to brush her hair while getting on the freeway. I've seen people swerving all over the road due to either drunk driving (which I reported because he almost hit a concrete barrier headfirst - something was extremely wrong) or distracted driving. My father drove tractor trailers for many years and was a very safe driver. I am finding that the longer I live, the more of his habits I have.

12. howlermunkey profile image73
    howlermunkeyposted 10 years ago

I am the best driver in the world, bar none, which is exactly why it makes no sense whatsoever that I have so many traffic tickets. Apparently 'the man' is jealous of my skills...

13. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 10 years ago

Haven't had an accident in 45 years...but did you know the approximately "48 million people who can't afford health care"..most of these people also can't afford car insurance. Why hasn't the government overhauled the car insurance industry? Or is that next in Obama's second term? If their car insurance was affordable maybe they could afford health care. Why should car insurance companies deny coverage because of pre-existing accidents? Maybe the reason is car insurance doesn't  make up 16% of the economy but I don't know why if the ACA makes sense then the affordable automobile insurance act AAIA shouldn't follow. Maybe the answer is the ACA doesn't make sense...Duh :-)

14. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I used to be a bit reckless when I was younger, but still considered myself a pretty good driver in spite of. Now that I'm older, I think I've eased up on the recklessness. I still suffer from road rage, but that's mostly because I drive better than most people :-D

15. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 10 years ago

I try to be a cautious, safe, rage free driver.  I am still driving the same car that I have had since 2004 and have 263.000 miles on it so either I am a pretty good driver or a great accident avoider.

16. AvineshP profile image60
    AvineshPposted 10 years ago

I drive safe and obey all the traffic rules, these are the things that, I believe, really help in bringing down the number of road mishaps.

Drinking is also one of the key reasons behind various road accidents. So, I make sure that I don't drink and drive.

17. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I'm a cautious driver. I exceed the speed limit slightly (5 mph max) only if necessary to keep up with traffic or while passing someone (which is legal in my state at least); otherwise I follow the speed limits, use turn signals, come to full stops at stop signs... I guess I'm a "little old lady" driver at heart.

Then again, I've never been in a traffic accident (in over 600,000 miles of driving) that was my fault--the two I've had were (1) when my brakes malfunctioned due to computer error and (2) I was rear-ended while I was stopped at a stop sign. I've only received one parking ticket (the meter ran out before I could get through the check-out line at a busy store) and no other tickets, though I was pulled over once for expired plates (I had the renewed tabs with me, however, it was just too cold to put them on--they shatter if you try to put them on a cold license plate in MN winters :-| ).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)