Do You Believe In Time Travel? Just think about it for a minute!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Breatheeasy3 profile image62
    Breatheeasy3posted 10 years ago

Do You Believe In Time Travel? Just think about it for a minute!!!!!

Not the conventional way one may think of time travel. But as time & space relates to each other, what is therefore the sense/meaning of time itself?

For instance:Traveling to your local market via foot(walking) requires time. Well, running to that same market will clearly require less time, and flying, etc. So are we in essence traveling in/through time????

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8463622_f260.jpg

2. saltymick profile image81
    saltymickposted 10 years ago

At last, a really good question. I often ponder this idea myself and agree that we are indeed travelling in/through time. This is no better illustrated than when you take a long haul flight across time zones - heading from Australia to England for example, you go back in time, more or less, at least according to clocks and calendars. I wrote a hub about it a few years ago - http://saltymick.hubpages.com/hub/The-T … lers-Diary - I was also revisiting my past so the sense of time travel was extraordinary. Thanks for posing the question Breatheasy.

Breatheeasy3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good response. I was waiting for someone to illude to the timezone factor. Thanks for the input saltymick. I like the article as well and description given as you were in the moment.

2. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

the time zone thing is interesting, but i dont think it what most people mean by time travel. its only really according to the clock as you have said. real backward time travel would be going back to an event that had already occurred.

3. AMFredenburg profile image73
    AMFredenburgposted 10 years ago

Well, time is the fourth dimension, isn't it? So we're all moving through a space-time continuum. Re: regular old sci-fi time travel, I'm not convinced that we could actually physically go back in time, but I do think that energy attaches to physical events and that energy can persist, so that if the traumatic energy of a past event or collection of events can be healed in the present, then we can heal the past in the sense that if spirit that existed in physical form in the past exists in spirit (or in a different physical form) today, that spirit can be healed of past trauma.

I also think that time can bend and stretch, but that's another whole topic.

bend and stretch...now that's what I'm talking about. lol! I like that you aren't relying on the notion that time is only linear. Thanks for your input.

4. informationshelte profile image60
    informationshelteposted 10 years ago

Hi Breatheeasy,
    That is indeed a very interesting question and attempting to give any scientifically-backed answer is a really complicate issue, as Einstein's relativity theory, the chaos theory, quantum mechanics and the like have shown.
    It may suffice to say that the difference in walking and running to the local market is felt in the form of an increase effort, body pain and energy consumed! I think that the speed of traveling in/through time, and/or space is the factor that determines the rate of exchange between energy and matter. (E=MC2)

5. compellingcarl profile image59
    compellingcarlposted 10 years ago

Physics says its possible, only forward though.Theoretically, a spaceship travelling at near light speed would experience time much more slowly relative to the space around it. In that way you can travel forward in time. My understanding is the process applies on the micro-scale as well, when you are running to the store you are literally saving time as you experience the trip, even if at an infinitesimal scale.

6. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 10 years ago

Absolutely.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes. We travel through 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and 365 days per year. Time travel in the sense you have described it is absolute.

absolute! Interesting...thanks for the comment

8. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

It a sense yes.  Traveling with a faster speed allow you to travel in and out of time

9. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

I do not believe in time travel because Time is a series of waves that we cannot control. The Earth is a sphere that turns to create a cycle but that cycle is all perception. We go from October to October and we call it one year but was last year the same as this year? No, so why is Time a wave? From October to April is the height of the wave and from May back to October is the lower portion of the wave. Our minds perceive it as a cycle but it is a wave because everything inside the process gets older. To freeze Time is to collapse the wave into a circle and a circle cannot exist in a 3 dimensional plane, only Spheres. If you want to stop time you would have to change dimensions but first we would have to freeze the mother wave/bubble that drives the Universe.

hey Mintinfo,
         Thanks for your comment but it actually seems that you have proven that time travel is a truth here.  Even the wave is a cycle itself perhaps. Do you believe that we are then stagnant on this 3rd dimension?

2. mintinfo profile image64
      mintinfoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We are at the mercy of the grand cycle. In the grand cycle Light appears to be the fastest moving thing. To travel as fast as light would mean changing the properties of what we are. Like beaming on Star Trek. Not possible

3. Breatheeasy3 profile image62

lol! I always had this notion however(since 10 yrs old) that darkness(no light) is actually faster than light, because out of darkness comes light. Its always there, and cannot be measured, where light can. Scientists are actually considering thisnow

4. profile image0

darkness isnt a thing though, as light is. darkness is the absence of light. like cold does not exist, its the absence of heat

5. Breatheeasy3 profile image62

One would certainly have to be a 'thing' in order for the other to exist. Heat wouldn't therefore be heat if coldness didn't exist. Darkness is just immeasurable and such a hard concept to grasp in this realm.

6. profile image0

heat is still heat. we just have a word (cold) for the absence of that thing. like a hole isnt a thing. its just how we communicate the absence.

7. Breatheeasy3 profile image62

I would then suppose that death is not a thing. Although all of us will visit it. It's just the absence of life. One's opposite doesn't necessarily conclude the other's 'non-existence'.

8. profile image0

good point. i agree that death is just the absence of life.

9. Breatheeasy3 profile image62

lol! I enjoyed this dialogue very much. My writing is aimed at promoting constructive commentary. Thanks for engaging!

10. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not convinced death is the absence of life; too many personal messages from beyond for that. Maybe death is another form of life.

11. profile image0

absence of earthly life?

12. mintinfo profile image64

Darkness is Spirit, Ether, the intelligence that is the foundation of what is. What exists and produces light is the universe. We cannot compare the two because we do not know the expanse of the dark dimension. We only know that darkness is stronger

13. profile image0

darkness is spirit? the universe produces light? im not sure i understand. can you explain?

14. mintinfo profile image64

This is Dohgon(pronounced Do-gon) Spirituality. We start from a position of knowing, not learning as we go as in science. For a brief explanation see my Hub http://mintinfo.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Di … ome-To-Be.

10. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

i never thought about it that way. i guess in a sense we are always traveling forward in time. event just sitting here typing this im traveling forward in time. i guess the question then becomes, is it possible to travel backward in time? this i believe is impossible. in order to do such a thing i believe time itself would have to be some sort of physical thing you can manipulate, which of course it is not.

You are definitely on to something here christianrkist. I take it that you are a Christian by your name. Well, consider this...Perhaps backward time travel is a reality, just not in our dimension. Take a peek at Mathew 11:13-14

2. profile image0

can you explain? i dont get the reference

3. mintinfo profile image64

sorry, the link in my post was cut off. Here is a short link http://hub.me/acPSy

11. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

Time seems to go faster with each day. We can not stop and wait for anything.  To go back and redo what we messed up in the past may not be possible, but we can fix what is right now and what is headed toward our future. It may not be like a Quantum Leap or the movie Back to the Future, but yes time traveling does exit and we have control of our own destiny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)