Is Internet creating a new religion ?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

Is Internet creating a new religion ?

There was a time when communication was limited and a few people could travel to the different corners of the earth and that too with spending  a lot of time. Spreading and exchanging thoughts in the matters of religion was limited to a narrow circle. But now with the advent of fast information technology, people are freely communicating and exchanging so diverse ideas that so many windows are opening up and a real churning of different thoughts is taking place so rapidly and it is affecting the whole mankind in a very remarkable way. I think, this will give rise to a new religion,am I right?

2. Barbara Kay profile image75
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I hope you are wrong. That could be a bad thing and we already have enough religions to begin with.

Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara, when I say new religion, just don't take it literally. What I mean is that people's psyche in matters of religions is going to be affected. It may be that a new word emerged in place of religion to reinterpret religions afresh.

3. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Religion has nothing to do with technology.

Religion is a method for reawakening the spirit within each of us. Many have forgotten this, but their core writings speak of this.

The internet may help facilitate spiritual reawakening by increasing the dialog across prior boundaries, but the internet itself is not and never will be a religion. Someone might want to make it into a pseudo-religion as a method of control.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lone77star, you made an excellent observations. A lot of tools, such as the Internet have been used as ways of promoting pseudo religious ideas. However, the internet does not teach religion or teach morality.

2. Harishprasad profile image71

Religion is a method for reawakening the spirit .......... . This sentence reflects a real definition of religion but how many think like that and endorse it is a matter of speculation. lone77star, I appreciate your outlook of religion.

4. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 10 years ago

if anything the open dialogue between people of diverse cultures is showing that mankind has reached a point where following ANY religious dogma is no longer necessary. In the deeper meanings of religious sects, they all point to the same thing.
    Religions have taught mankind the value of moral rights. To this end they have completed the conscious shift. Religions were necessary to bring this about. Now the internet is exposing the truth that lies deeper, the truth that all mystics and guru's have been saying, and the truth that parallels what is now being researched in Quantum Physics. The internet is bridging these differences and thus I will say again - the internet is showing us we no longer need religion.... we  need progress. Character Progress..... not technological advances. Back to Zero.... build a new man from the inside out. (as my hub states)

I hope the internet will assist in doing away with religions and mankind learns to live and work together as ONE unified group of advancing humans..... Key word "Advancing".

1. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Religions don't teach morals.  Morals are part of a groups survival instincts.  A group doesn't survive long if it didn't maintain the simple rules like don't kill each other.

2. profile image0

They shall not kill is one of the key points in the Bible, thus while there are plenty of references in the Bible to murder and sacrifices, most religions do teach that it is wrong to kill.

3. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All religious texts promote and encourage Love. If love does not open the doors to teaching moral values what does? Of course religions teach/promote moral values by promoting the values (instincts)  necessary for "group survival".

4. profile image0

Religion supports group as a result of reaching the individual. A majority vote cannot lead a group to accept faith in God. It takes an individual commitment by each person. That sometimes leads a group to believe in faith, but not always.

5. Harishprasad profile image71

Neil, Concept of God and religion will prevail till the whole creation is not understood thread by thread by us humans. However dogma and blind belief are going to be replaced with authentic concepts. Religion  will emerge into a new avatar surely.

5. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 10 years ago

Did the printing press create a new religion?  Rather it flooded the world with too much information or noise.  Internet is the same - explosive amount of data in which one has to dig through to find the signal among the noise.

One great positive of the spread of information is common folk no longer need to ask gatekeepers for information. They can find their own truths via print or Internet rather than going through the filters of religious leaders who use religion as mind control.

1. profile image0

Finding truths on the Internet can be challenging. Finding opinions, which may support your opinions and which may be able to quote some ancient document may help. but the "filers" are there. Whenever, you ask a person his opinion, there is a filter.

2. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isn't anybody speaking their belief actually a statement of opinion? Every person on Earth can be a filter to God if you want to put it that way. As people, books internet or whatever, it's only our job to plant the seed, no matter how.

3. profile image0

IDONO,  we are closer in views that some might think. Any true believer in God can be a conduit to finding God.  I will say God exists & Jesus died for my sins so I can enjoy eternal life. I will get him a Bible and recommend resources to explain

4. Harishprasad profile image71

Peanutroaster, you have spoken the truth and I agree to it to the extent that if you are in direct contact with an really enlightened being and not a mere preacher kind of sort, you are awakened much. This cannot be done by Internet despite all data.

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

The Internet is not a religion. It is an obsession for some people, who mistakenly believe anything they read on the internet as being factual and appropriate. Religion--any religion--is first based on faith which may then be supported by the teachings and writing of others.

The internet can only convey the history of religion and the opinions of some. Those teaching may lead to an acceptance that becomes faith. The internet as a tool just transmits information. It cannot and does not show the value or the understanding of faith. That becomes a very personal matter.

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Larry I thought about this. And it struck me that the internet may not be a religion but it sure as heck can be a church.

Thanks for your nice response, Larry Wall. Though religion is mostly unlike science but one similarity is that the more we dive deeper into this subtle phenomenon, the more insightful and clear we become in our approach to it. Internet helps a lot.

7. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I think that in a very practical sense that things are becoming different for religion. When I am now teaching I have several "fact checkers" in the room. Instant access to several bibles and other tools of understanding. Dates, times, cross-references and quotes and dissent and analytic. So we have to be right on the money and walk the straight and narrow.
    Churches used to have preachers that told us what the "word" was. Now we can spend time on applications and more "how to" stuff. More dialogue and less quotations. Of course I work with younger people who get the technology.  It would seem like the elders kind of still like being told what to think.
    Right now we have a big churchy decision to make for our future. Somehow the elders and the lead preacher man are giving the youth 2 choices. And the youth are saying "why are we limited to just the two choices". That would not have happened 20 years ago.
    So maybe we are not going to get a new religion. But we are getting new ideas about religion. Because so much dogma is out there now, it is normal to question it. Nobody under 50 is buying that there is only one way to do things. That old automaton method is dying out, thank "whoever".
    If "religion" is the rules and regulations and dogma that we are following and accepting, then yes we are already seeing new religions based on information availability and the passing of dictator preachers.
    But if "religion" is the love shared by a group in community and joint worship, then there never ever will or can be a new religion.

1. Ericdierker profile image45

How about we move forward and not worry about labels. How about we just love each other and see what crazy whacked out world happens. Let us embrace the internet and use it for good!!

Ericdierker, your words are like imported from my heart and are also very insightful. Thanks for such a thoughtful response.

3. Ericdierker profile image45

You and me buddy. In the day let us give hugs to all we meet. I like your being.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

If anything, I would argue that the opposite will happen. There are two things the internet has no shortage of. The first is information, and the second is trolls. People are more likely to consider different religions (or no religion at all) when information about all faiths and sciences are at their finger tips, as opposed to being taught a single religion from childhood. And, when misinformation is stated on any sort of forum, there is no shortage of trolls to come out and correct (or ridicule) the person who stated it. The internet is what it is, regardless of whether or not we think it's a good thing. But that kind of environment requires flexibility and adaptability to thrive in. The more rigid beliefs will then be reduced to fringe websites without much pull on the larger conversation.

You are right,M T Dremer. Information along with trolls are going to leave a greater impact upon the psyche of the international community and religious beliefs are also to be affected to a great extent and something new will surely emerge out.

9. Peggasuse profile image83
    Peggasuseposted 10 years ago

I wouldn't say it's creating a new religion.  But I would suggestion, as you have, that people are learning a lot more about what is believed in other parts of the world.  It explores the differences in beliefs, but it also points out how similar all our beliefs are.

Yes, when we witness every kind of religious stuff in one place so conveniently, it is definitely going to make an effect on our own religious thinking and way of worshipping God though not apparently but surely in a subtle way perhaps.

10. ReneeDC1979 profile image61
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

Is Internet creating a new religion?  No!  I think it is opening up more lines of communication about religion, as well as ways to learn about many religions.  But, religion is religion - it has to do with your faith and belief.  But, Internet is a tool to gain knowledge about many different topics - you still have to research and verify because everything on the internet is not true or real, nor should it be treated as something to worship.

ReneeDC1979, thanks for response. When we are free to allow different kind of religious stuff into our mind, it remains as seeds there, if neglected, it withers away, if watered, it grows into a full blossomed tree but it depends on us how we take it

11. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 10 years ago

You make some good points but I hope it is not so. We have so many different religions already.

You are right,lesliebyars. What I want to convey is that a real awakening with regard to all religions will take place in view of so fast a communication taking place in Internet. Thank you very much for your response.

12. Darrell Roberts profile image69
    Darrell Robertsposted 10 years ago

The internet is not creating a new religion, it is allowing people forums to share and express their experiences that they have gained in this world.  Most religions have some kind of scripture or reference story that the follower use to identify themselves, and justify their actions.

The internet is a great resource that we could use to check to find out if some one is going by the book of their particular faith or if they are a pseudo follower. 

Best wishes.

Thank you, Darrell. Do you agree that when in a market , a lot of varieties are found in one place, we flock to the best. Same is going to happen in a near future.

13. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

The internet is not creating a new religion, it is allowing us to break the chains of religion and rediscover our true spiritual selves by gaining knowledge read more

mintinfo, thank you very much for giving such an elaborative and informative response.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)