Are there any organized religions based around facts and logic?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. mgeorge1050 profile image85
    mgeorge1050posted 10 years ago

Are there any organized religions based around facts and logic?

I am only a little familiar with a few religions, but it seems that most of them require a large amount of blind faith.  Are there any organized religions based around facts and logic?   If such a group does exist, can it be called a religion?

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8822949_f260.jpg

Blind faith, huh. Like the blind faith it takes to believe in atheism? Yes, it is true, all religions save one require you to have blind faith, blind faith in lies. There is only one "religion" based on facts and logic, based on the truth and that is Christianity. To understand this though you must have faith because if you do not believe in the God of the Bible it is impossible to understand him. It would be like saying I don't believe in the existence of gravity and then trying to explain it. Faith does not negate facts or logic but to accept facts or logic you must put faith in them. Only if you start with the premise that the Bible is the Word of God and God is who he says he is can you see the truth, that he is the creator and even our existence, the existence of the universe is proof of him and who he is.
    It is logical to believe that an omnipresent, omnipotent, loving but just  infinite creator would create free will beings and provide for them all the necessary instructions on how to live (the Bible) with the answers to all the questions of life and living, the history of mankind and the future of mankind, the nature of his creator and the truth of it all. If someone thinks he'll get a logical fact filled explanation without studying the Bible to understand it then all I have to say is he has a lot of blind faith in lazyness. On the other hand If I tell you don't jump off the cliff, it will kill you, you don't need to study physics, define gravity and determine how many broken bones you can have and still survive to have faith that I am right.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Atheism does not involve faith. It's a conclusion based on what the individual knows about the world around them.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image69
      Titen-Sxullposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Only if you start with the premise that the Bible is the Word of God and God is who he says he is can you see the truth" Worst advice ever. Doubt, not blind certainty, is the first step toward the truth. Question everything.

3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dremer really? Then what proof do you have there is no God? Even an avowed atheist will admit you can't prove there is no God so you have to have faith that there is no God. And Titen where did I say not to question anything?

4. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have 'faith' that there is no god. The evidence provided does not support a god, therefore I will live my life as if he doesn't exist. Evidence can change my mind and that's the opposite of faith.

5. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Bible says “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” “immoral people do not believe in God.”The meaning is not “unintelligent people do not believe in God.” Rather, the meaning of the text is “immoral people do not believe in God.”

6. mgeorge1050 profile image85
      mgeorge1050posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your do know gravity is based on science and fact, right?  You sound like an obedient sheep following his Shepard, good luck with that.  By comparing things like gravity to the Bible tells me that no comment I could make will matter to you.

7. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61

Actually your statement demonstrates clearly that you will twist anything I say, do not comprehend analogy and so you are the one to whom no comment I could make will matter! Hard to dialogue with someone whose strongest argument is name calling.

8. profile image0
      Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey mgeorge does the force of gravity act at light speed?, & why does gravity's strength or intensity fall off at an inverse square of it's distance?, & how do cells detect gravity?...Can i have some science based answers on those questions p

9. mgeorge1050 profile image85

Didn't mean to offend you DTMB, just trying to have a little discussion. Thanks for you involvement.

10. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image61

Dave this is what usually happens with those who DO aim to offend if you can get past their reconstructing or mischaracterizing what you say and challenge them with the truth they retreat, although I give credit to mgeorge for doing it gracefully.

11. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Titen, you say "question everything" ... so should you question that statement? I'm only abiding by your rule, or if you don't question your rule to "question everything" aren't you a hypocrite.

12. Omer123 profile image60
      Omer123posted 9 years agoin reply to this

such a stupid  writing .. atheism do not have any philosophy or faith and secondly the best and more peace full religion in the world is Islam ..its has a dimension and a way of life in it the women have the rights and their is a distinction

3. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I believe 'Humanism' is probably the closest thing to what you're talking about. I don't know much about it, but I believe their general goal is humanitarian efforts and good deeds without any deities. It's worth looking into, if you're interested.

1. Omer123 profile image60

yah this is amazing working and thinking about the betterment and the happiness of the man kind s a great job in real ... ;-)

4. Titen-Sxull profile image69
    Titen-Sxullposted 10 years ago

It depends on how you define the word religion. There are philosophies and world views which emphasize the use of reason, logic, and evidence, such as skepticism, however they would not count as 'organized' religions even if you wanted to count them as religions.

Such a religion would be akin to the emotional suppression and emphasis on logical thinking practiced by Vulcans on the show Star Trek, not sure it would catch on with us humans though.

5. K Nichole profile image69
    K Nicholeposted 10 years ago

Many medieval philosophers did their work with the driving intuition that you must believe before you can understand. Instead of asking if there are any religions that are based in fact and logic, why not work to make the belief system you are most attracted to logical? This is what theologians and many philosophers of religion are doing all the time! You may be shocked how far they have gotten and how much progress they have made in arguing, logically, for certain belief systems. Secondly, there are many philosophers who have argued that a religious-like respect and practice should be taken towards logic and reason. Maybe you should check out some Spinoza!

6. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

No, all religions are based upon faith. People either believe what they read/taught or they don't. God made man and man made religion.
    Whenever one group disagreed with another group they created their own denomination. There can only be one truth.
    Most religions were designed to control the people like a government does as well as give them hope.
    No logical person could believe Samson killed not 100, 200, or 500 men but (1000 men) with just the jawbone of a donkey! Did they come at him one at a time? Did he take any breaks? Really? Come on! LOL!

Great answer, and I agree that most religions were created to help control the masses.  I will bet the Samson fight was one at a time, like a cool Bruce Lee movie. The bad guys just stand in a circle around our hero and come at him one at a time:-)

2. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

mgeorge1050, That's a big circle! LOL!
      Hopefully one day we'll also find a way to live to be 930 years old like Adam did. :-)

7. profile image0
    Dave36posted 10 years ago

Buddhism is mate, & i went for Zen Buddhism....Look on utube & watch some of Alan Watts vids, on the subject of Zen & also the Yin/Yang....Buddhism was designed by the Buddha himself, to try to end suffering on planet earth....But there is no god to pray to or worship, as everything in the "great void" which is everything there is & can ever be is god....Now i don't completely agree with that statement, but that's the point of Zen Buddhism, we're expected to not believe something "until" we realise it....But apparently according to Zen there is nothing to find or seek, as we're already "it"/"god" so it's like a game of "hide & seek"....Again i'm not totally on board with that statement either, but again that's expected....I'm not gonna say anything more, as i think i might be putting you off!lol....But check Alan Watts vids out, because Zen is cool as.

Sounds interesting, maybe I will check it out.

2. profile image0
      Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Have a look at Alan Watts "Boat Analogy" mate, it took me a while to get the message, but it was worth it.

3. Omer123 profile image60

its such a stupid video huh ....

8. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Scientology used to be based entirely on logic and results, but even it has become corrupt by evil.

In Scientology, an electronic meter would measure the electrical resistance of the body and this would reveal the amount of energy the person has on any one topic. It also can help guide the person toward finding the sources in the subconscious of spiritual impediment.

This is all very logical, documented and highly methodical and reproducible.

Some have called Scientology a scam. Others have called it a cult. And some have claimed that it is not a religion.

Like early Christianity, Scientology was definitely a cult, but only in the most benign sense. Now, it is a more established and corrupted religion. Will it disappear? Perhaps. It was good until the early-80s when Hubbard stopped being in control of it.

Was it a scam? Not at all; even if Hubbard originally intended it that way. Thousands of people received incredible benefit from it. It may well be a scam, today, because its original purpose has been derailed.

But Scientology was definitely a religion, because it worked on helping spirit to reawaken. You can't get more religious than that.

But facts and logic are not the end-all, be-all that some would characterize them to be. Logic can be a lie, as in those who cling to resentment. It's very logical to resent the hurt inflicted by others, but also damaging and destructive. Logic that leads to destruction is not very logical (or Truthful).

Too many view "faith" as blind belief. This couldn't be further from the truth. Faith is transcendent -- the perfection of confidence which creates worlds. This is the stuff upon which logic is based. We wouldn't even have a universe in which to practice logic if it weren't for the "faith" (perfection of confidence) which created our physical realm.

Very interesting comments, thanks for your answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)