Just wondering what others believe is the best free website as I need to set one

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Eiddwen profile image73
    Eiddwenposted 10 years ago

Just wondering what others believe is the best free website as I need to set one up.

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

For a website I recommend not using a free site.  Web hosting is very reasonable these days.  Free website builders clutter your site with their own ads and often have restrictions on what you can do.  Most free sites for example don't have shopping carts/stores etc.

There really aren't a lot of good free options.  You can build a nice free blog with blogger.  Also there are some decent free or fee sites to place a portfolio of your work - the free one's are usually limited and then a monthly fee allows you to expand them.  Just Google "free portfolio websites".  I create my own custom websites and use hostmonster  presently and I am pretty happy with them.  They offer a range of tools for building sites and the fees are very reasonable.

It really depends what the purpose of your site will be and what features you need and how you plan to build it etc.

Eiddwenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Christin ;this was very helpful.

3. mukhan92 profile image57
    mukhan92posted 10 years ago

There is plenty of the sites available on the internet which offer you a variety of features and the ways to showcase your work done. It depends upon the purpose of having a site by your side.
    If you are planning to establish a site having full features like a biz store, then you need the site which has the options of this kind usually with a specific fee. Just matter is what do you have the plan before launching it.

Thank you also mukhan your advice greatly appreciated.

4. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 10 years ago

Eiddwen, I know nothing about websites, but mine is on Weebly, and I love working on it!  A whole gang of us set up our sites together and it is great fun.
    www.warnerwords.com if you want to take a peek. Good luck with your research on this!

Thank you Vivkiw and Weebly is becoming a favourite.
      Have a great weekend.

5. janetwrites profile image80
    janetwritesposted 10 years ago

Eiddwen, if you want to start for free then I would suggest Weebly like Vickiw. I'm currently working on my own website for which I also use Weebly. Weebly has 4 plans: a free plan with all basic features and 3 paid plans. You may start for free without any obligations and decide if you want to upgrade. Before I came to Weebly I had a self-hosted WordPress Blog but it caught a virus which I couldn't remove at that time. Weebly is very easy to use and has an intuitive interface. If you need more information or help with the set up of your website don't hesitate to ask me. I hope this was helpful for you.

Thank you so much janet and yes I am going to give Weebly a try. I have used blogger in the past but I wanted a fresh start here. Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Eddy, I was clueless about websites and the like when I decided to get one with VistaPrint. I created it myself with the tools they give you. Much like hubtools, you create your text, upload photos, etc. There are many options depending on what you're trying to achieve. There is a monthly fee but I have found it to be worth it as a business website. Good luck.

1. creativenovella profile image62
      creativenovellaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all above.  Weebly is very nice and easy.  Blogger I love, never had any trouble with it.  And they don't put on their own ads.  Wordpress gave me a headache.

2. Eiddwen profile image73

This is anew one and gives me more to think about thanks janshares.
      Thank you also creativenovella.

7. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

Eddy, I built my site on Weebly. It's free, but I opted for my own domain name and upgraded to the Pro Version. I just consulted my expenses from last year and I show 2 for Weebly. One is for $49.95. I think that's for my domain name, but can't tell you how long it's for. The second charge is for $59.63. That was for 1 year with Weebly Pro. I'll renew it come August. Weebly Pro has a few options that the free version doesn't . It's easy to build the site. You can have as many tabs as you want, a blog page, you can set up e-commerce and they have tutorials to help you along the way. I opted to go pro to remove weebly from the URL. Since my site also serves as my writer's site, I felt it would look more professional to prospective clients to show I invested a few bucks in my business. Had I not, my URL would have been www.shaunalbowling.weebly.com. I think www.shaunalbowling.com looks much more professional.

Thank you so much Sha and the advice so appreciated at the moment I am leaning towards Weebly.
      .Enjoy your weekend.

8. UpixxIndustries profile image41
    UpixxIndustriesposted 10 years ago

Eidde- It really depends on what your overall intentions of your goal is. If you are just looking for a site for your personal usage, then weebly is adequate for your needs, but the functionality of it is you are bound by their TOS as far as monetization of the site.
    If your goals are to start an online business then you really should get a domain name of your own and a cPanel website hosting account.  Now a days both options are fairly cheap and competitive. I personally have a namecheap.com account where I only paid $39 for the domain name, hosting for 3 months with the domain lasting 1 year.  The reason for this suggestion is because if you are looking ahead for business reasons, then you do not want to waste your time building a following on a free site (which may or may not come with adverts already on your site that you cannot control) just to lose some of your following when you convert to a real site. Plus you can also download the latest version of WordPress easily and have complete control over it with fuctionality to do just about anything you wish.  This option also will allow you to completely to customize with a static page of whatever you want it to be.
    Just some food for thought.

9. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

A high rated one seems to be web.com. It seems to have free domain but no free trial. web.com

If you want a free domain plus a free trial what seems to be rated second to that is wix.com.

These were rated this year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)