What makes a journalist different from a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

What makes a journalist different from a writer?

Are journalists news reporters who write? Do writers focus more on the subjective than the objective? Are journalists more fact-based and writers about the art? Explain.

2. profile image53
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

A jouralist does not have the ability to tell the truth, a writer has the option.

janshares have a good day.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, thank you for answering, graceinus. You have a good one, too.

2. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

janshares- My answer is meant to be a joke. however there may be some who may not take it as such. Therefore I kindly ask that you delete my answer. Again have a good day.

3. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quite funny--I vote let it stand!

4. janshares profile image94

I think your answer is worthy and brilliant. I'd hate to delete. sad

5. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Janshares-Well, I leave it up to you.

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

The lines of demarcation between the two are more blended than ever, aren't they?  Much of each job's definition depends on exactly what kind of work is being done, but both have the ability to shape the thinking of readers.  That's why it is more important than ever for readers not to simply believe what they are offered but to prove it for themselves.  The current situation in Ukraine is an example.  We are reading a lot about what's supposedly going on there, but talking to people who are living it out is quite enlightening, and a different story than much of what we are told.

Thank you for answering, RTalloni.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

A journalist basically writes non-fiction. A writer can write either. Plus a journalist is able to write, be a journalist on TV, radio, video, etc.

Yes, thank you for your answer.

5. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 10 years ago

Hi Janshares! Journalists conduct their work in a public forum. There are high profile news journalists such as Barbra Walters, Oprah, which started in the newsroom and evolved into successful talk show icons. Most journalist love to interview people, they enjoy taking pictures to capture their stories. Writers engage more on the subject at hand through thought.  Writes can be somewhat introverted creators of the mind which leads to fiction, or they research on topics that interest them and become nonfiction writers.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for answering, swilliams.

6. Rebecca Furtado profile image59
    Rebecca Furtadoposted 10 years ago

Hi,
    My gut tells me that there are several differences, but I only have my High School Newspaper experience to rely on. First journalism is focused on current events and past events that influence current events. Writers tend to tell the stories that reflect their personal taste and interest. Writers can be fictional. Journalism is by its very nature non fictional. Writers have a huge span on length of a piece.Journalist write for a more general audience and brevity is important.

Nice distinctions, thanks for answering, Rebecca.

7. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Journalists by definition do not express their own opinion.  They report facts or interview people who tell their own stories.  If (when) they make a mistake they are obligated to issue a retraction or correction.  Once they start expressing their own opinions, they are commentators and can never go back to being journalists. 

Case in point:  I was a journalist for years as a newspaper reporter.  Once I became a press secretary for a congressional campaign I'd blown my cover of objectivity and never went back.  On HubPages I am definitely a commentator.  Look at my hubs - I have an opinion about everything even when I try to be objective.  But I'm not a journalist any more.

That is the definition in a perfect world.  In today's reality the rules get broken constantly.  Buyer beware - have various sources and know who you are listening to or reading.

Thanks for that answer, Kathleen. This question is becoming a lot more interesting than I thought it would.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good questions do that!

8. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 10 years ago

A journalist is another breed of an ordinary writer. A journalist must follow his boss' guidelines and certain standards of behavior, and he only seek the breaking news; nothing else. Sometimes he may input his own opinion, but still, the whole content he produces must be factual and informative. He must constantly be aware of the environment around him.

Then for a writer, he needs a strong command of language to be eloquent in his writing. He just writes and let the words flow, without fear of purging and abridging, which may come later.

Thank you for answering, phillippeengel. Excellent distinctions regarding the functions and motivations of both.

9. profile image59
    jb-jacobsposted 6 years ago

I have seen journal articles written in story form with all the facts and no opinions. These are great. I have also read stories with facts and no opinions.

I think journalism is morphing into something that is trying to hold a readers attention in our ever increasing online presence. In some cases, they are breaking the rules to grab attention and be noticed.

With the increase popularity of self publishing, more fiction is available. People can now put their thoughts on to paper quicker. Being that there is a very thin filter, art is now fact based news is more art based. But that doesn't mean that all news articles are breaking the rules.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)