How do you forgive when others hurt your deeply?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Inspired Heart profile image76
    Inspired Heartposted 10 years ago

How do you forgive when others hurt your deeply?

We sometimes find it difficult to forgive those who hurt us.  But research shows that forgiving others has health benefits. Even more, the Bible instructs Christians to forgive those who wrong them

2. Bk42author profile image95
    Bk42authorposted 10 years ago

I'll forgive people because not forgiving is very toxic and benefits no one. However, if what the person did was intentional and meant to hurt me, although I will forgive them because not doing so won't change the past, I will cut them out of my life. I don't see any reason to keep someone destructive like that around.

Inspired Heartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding Bk42author.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Wrote a hub about this issue.  My best answer is that, if the person asks to be forgiven, you act as though you've forgiven no matter how you actually feel, and hope your feelings eventually catch up.

Thanks for response Kathleen. Yes, our feelings catch after we make the choice to forgive.

4. profile image0
    Dave36posted 10 years ago

It says in the bible "forgive them for they know not what they do", so it's pretty clear to me..So they don't know they've let themselves turn into the type of person, that does harm to others when they do the harming..Even if you thought 100% that they do know their doing it, the very fact that being good does feel better than doing bad proves they don't know their doing it..Mean bad evil acts are done by people not in control of their mind/body, & they have been too lazy to fight their mind using will power..So in actual fact we should feel empathy for those people that have hurt us, because we should know their just weak people..They will learn one day (hopefully), & we should just be pleased we're not one of those people..I would say cut all ties with people who hurt us asap, but just know before hand that they can't help themselves, & that's why they hurt us etc when they did or do..IF we don't forgive them, then "we're" being controlled by our mind into holding onto a grudge..So they didn't know they was doing/did it, & the past is the past & it can't be changed..The next time someone hurts us we should just think about what it's doing to their soul, & what sort of person their turning into..The guilt will get them at the end of the day, & we know that because how guilty would we feel if we did what they did?..They might put a brave face on things & act like their happy, but they can't be happy with themselves deep down because we wouldn't be..If we knew the full life story of the person who hurt us, & saw all their experiences etc..We might be able to say AHA it was that which led to that, which led them to act/treat me like they did..We can't say that but what we can say is that, any time someone does/says anything bad towards us, it's "them" that has some sort of problem or is having a bad day/life etc.

Thanks for your response Dave36; it makes sense to forgive.

5. Ceegen profile image69
    Ceegenposted 10 years ago

Jesus said "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."

Meaning that God should forgive them for being deceived. If they had known what they were doing, they wouldn't have done it, but that is how deception works. I try to follow that, and forgive freely, because I know that those who wrong me are being deceived also.

Thanks for your response Ceegen. We forgive even as we are forgiven.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The simplest answer is this -- assume the viewpoint of God: Love.

If our love is unconditional, infinite and generous, then forgiveness becomes easy. If we still cling to something as "important," then our love becomes impure. If someone steals our money and we remain attached to that money as "Important," then we cannot forgive. We must view the money as decidedly unimportant and love to be of utmost importance -- important not to "self" (ego), but because it is what the Father is.

Another approach to forgiveness is one of taking perfect (100%) responsibility for the actions of another. Most people are hardwired to blame someone else for the things those people have done to us. Blame and responsibility are polar opposites in this mortal realm; but True responsibility in its perfected form is divine -- above the dichotomy of responsibility-blame. This perfect form of responsibility has no blame -- not even a spot of it. If you take 100% responsibility for anything, you can no longer be a victim. Thus, turning the other cheek (forgiveness) becomes effortless.

Still another approach involves faith -- the perfection of confidence. But with this, you also need utter humility, because without humility, confidence becomes arrogance and forgiveness becomes impossible. With humility and confidence, one fearlessly accepts that which is given with humility. Thus forgiveness becomes effortless.

Finally, if we are perfectly grateful for the gift someone has given us, no matter how evil it seems, then we are assuming the viewpoint of the Heavenly Father and are walking with Him once again.

Rod Martin, Jr.
    "The Art of Forgiveness"

Thank lonestar77 for your insightful response.  For me approaching forgiveness from the perspective of love is life-changing (based on 1 Corinthians 13 4-8, Amplified).

7. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

I recognise the pain and frustration if even only in myself. The divine plan seems to be that we won't just do this immediately. It is a slow process.

Patience, tolerance, acceptance and many other virtues are necessary, as well as a life of interior and exterior prayer, meditation and a reliance on Divine Grace.

Thanks for commenting manatita44.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)