Why do the Churches talk about "good friday" when it was a horrible day

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

Why do the Churches talk about  "good friday" when it was a horrible day

I know Jesus was  killed on wednesday not friday but since the churches teach friday and they call it "good" friday, how can anyone say it was good when it was one of the most horrible days in church history.      If they said "good" sunday I could understand that because He proved who He is and brought us the new covenant when he arose from the dead as prophesied

2. profile image53
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

celafoe- Another good question. I believe the reason is they follow the words of their church leadership. One will believe what is spoon fed to them. Good Friday, as you know, is not biblical. But the masses will continue to accept it because they can't live without being spoon fed false doctrine. And it is truely sad.

celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

so sad yet so true   thanks brother

3. Rev. Akins profile image69
    Rev. Akinsposted 10 years ago

I heard it explained that it was changed from God Friday. Basically the time when we can see Jesus as God, because death does not defeat him. It is an important aspect of the Easter season, at least the Christian one. To fully appreciate Easter, one needs to go through "Good" Friday. Interesting question, thank you.

That did not happen t His death but at the resurrection.   The whole "easter" junk is totally against the Word of God.    You are mixing the Holy with the profane which is disobedience  and does not please God. it is man made doctrine

2. Rev. Akins profile image69
      Rev. Akinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you find out that your "truth" you talk about is just your own and not God's, I hope someone is more graceful to you than you are to others.

3. celafoe profile image54

rev-  since you believe it is "my" doctrine , please correct me with scripture in context.  Are you saying God approves of mixing the Holy and the profane and does not care whether we obey scripture or not.
      as a rev you should know scripture

4. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

My Christian friends always said Jesus's sacrifice was made for the good of the human race. As I don't have a problem with Jesus himself, I leave it at that. And I suppose it is "good" in a way, as the believers remember him that day and celebrate his teachings. Nice guy, Jesus; I don't like all the cults that claim to be established under his direction, but he was genuinely a good guy.

nor do I like the cult "churches of men"  that profess to be His and follow doctines of men instead of HIS.     that is actually what the bible is talking about when it says not to take the Lord's name in vain, twisting scrpture  for personal use.

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

I prefer "Good Wednesday." Why "good?" Because it was the beautiful fulfillment of prophecy and the divine manifestation of the lesson we all need to learn -- giving up the false self of this world in order to return to the Heavenly Father. What's not "good" about that?

Christ said that those who are "first" (egotistical; think they have it all figured out) will be last. Those who are "last" (humble; know they have more to learn and hungry to learn it) will be first.

I have my own Ideas of scripture, but I know that I do not know all of God's Truth. I've discovered things in the Bible that blow the lid off of thousands of years of questions and confusion, but I still know that I've only scratched the surface.

I've experienced dozens of miracles -- the kind that create worlds -- and yet I know I have very far to go.

Some think they have it all figured out, like the Pharisees, the modern Fundamentalists and secular atheists. Ego is ego no matter where it is found. Ego hungers to be "first" -- to be "right." Ego wants to proclaim their righteousness to the world. And like the Pharisees will not be saved, because they don't need salvation.

I hunger for "Truth" and "Love." I constantly need salvation; it remains a burning light in my breast -- a constant fear and torment and a blissful light of hope and love.

I love the fact that we have people asking such probing questions about such an important topic. I love it when there are people who are humble enough to receive answers, even if those answers are imperfect. For we are all learning. We should celebrate our individual progress.

If you read the Bible with the right perspective, you can see that Noah's Flood was an act of Love -- only this and nothing more. The literal cannot see this; only the spiritual. And the Truth is nothing of the literal, but only spirit (2 Cor. 3:6).

6. PlanksandNails profile image82
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

Good Friday is not when Jesus Christ died. “Good Friday” is the day that the Philistines sacrificed to Dagon, the Philistine fish god.

Now the lords of the Philistines gathered to offer a great sacrifice to Dagon their god and to rejoice, and they said, “Our god has given Samson our enemy into our hand.” - Judges 16:23

Then the Philistines took the ark of God and brought it into the house of Dagon and set it up beside Dagon. - 1 Samuel 5:2

Many Christians do not know that their fish decal on their car is an adoption of the pagan symbol of the fish. The fish symbol really has nothing to do with Jesus Christ, nor does Good Friday. So... why would the pagan fish symbol and the fish god be incorporated into the worship practices of the modern "church"  by those who profess to follow the Savior of the world?

It is important to understand that as a Christian, God does not accept worship done in the way that unbelievers worship their gods. We are not to add to or take away from the instructed forms of worship that God has revealed in His Word, or mix the holy and profane together.

How many are willing to say goodbye to the Easter bunny, the eggs, Good Friday and their fascination with "fish" and all other such abominations?

The first clue of idolatry is how much someone fights for their tradition when the truth is revealed. Once the truth is revealed you can no longer claim ignorance. Any continuance is willful rebellion.

thanks for the addition I did not even think of this , until you brought it up and it definately belongs here.   thanks

7. Keith Risden profile image77
    Keith Risdenposted 10 years ago

Holy Thursday, 1st Day of unleavened Breads was know as a sabbath,  in that year when our Savior laid down His life  that afternoon before, on the passover day. This gave his followers time to mourn meditate and remember the moments and teachings of Jesus Christ. As the news travel near and far that the Christ was crucified, the rebellious one was put to death it was now Holy Thursday, This day was widely talk about more that the "good friday", story in the earlier days. Over the process of time pagan festivals crept into the offspring of the church such as Easter, Christmas, Good Friday, Resurrection Sunday and others. The only sign He gave the unbelieving nation that He was the Christ was this three days and three nights. There were many other stories about the body of Christ in the earlier days. "They stole the body" another He never died he is in hiding, He ran away and got married."
    To cut this short and back to the Question, modern day church did away with the commandments and God's Holy Days which would have explained the crucifixion day and the Biblical Sabbath that followed. The world know that 3 nights can't be found between friday and Sunday morning. Unconsciously what the good friday story is doing is saying Christ did not prove that He is the Son of God so mankind have the right to make their own doctrine. If the so called followers of the bible were to accept the truth the foundation of first day observers would crumble. The devil will not allow this so Christ will come and remove him finally so that His truth can be learned by all the World.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)