What is your opinion on war?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image53
    graceinusposted 9 years ago

What is your opinion on war?

What conditions do you believe should be met in order to justify a war? Or do you believe that war should never be an option? My Dad had a quote on the subject of war. " Only those who have lived through it can understand that nothing is more bitter than the taste of war."

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I believe that as human beings evolve we should find better ways to resolve conflicts.  I don't believe in war, I believe in prevention of the things that lead to it when at all possible.  The only time I think war is justified is if you are stopping an atrocity such as genocide or defending your own lands from invasion

1. profile image53
      graceinusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

ChristinS- Acts of genocide, I believe , is a war in and of itself. It's a shame that it would take a war to end a war. Thank you for your input.

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Much gratitude, my Brother. Have a peaceful and inspiring week-end.

3. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

As long as the human mind is dominant, the question of war will remain. We need to wage war on our ignorance before anything else. (Matthew 15: 11-20).

“Forgive them, o my father, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23: 34).

The veil has not been lifted. This is my condition, and also that of millions! We may have come a long way from Caesar’s Rome, but are still displaying the propensities of the animal kingdom. There is a school in New Zealand which is so peaceful that parents send their disruptive children there and they become transformed.

Recently I was talking to the Head of that school. I asked her what special things they did to change these children. Of course they do things, but she told me that very often, the difference in the environment itself is sufficient.

A great Seer once said that when there is crime in society, it is an unjust society. War happens because we allow it to happen. It is the old adage that we get what we deserve.

If only world leaders want war, will it happen?  We need to bid farewell to or wage war on confusion, frustration, ignorance, on uncomely thoughts, on the mind … we need to stand on the balcony of Light, and we will find peace.
    You will note that no matter how we ask these questions, everything goes back to the Source, the spiritual life. We are just using different words at different times.

Question: Do you feel that war is part of the human condition?

Sri Chinmoy: There are countless people on earth who love war, as long as other people are being destroyed. People like to watch boxing, but they don't want to be boxers themselves. At a distance people like many things.

The animal propensities are still dominating us. If ninety per cent of the people wanted peace and only ten per cent wanted war, then the face of the world would be totally changed. In their hearts people may want peace, but unfortunately the aggressive vital and uncompromising mind are still dominant.

1. profile image53

manatita44- You made a very strong point. Many thanks for your answer.

4. Penny G profile image60
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

War breeds war. It never seems to be a solution but instead coats it over only to resurface in another place and time.  SIGH………………….

1. profile image53

Penny G- Thank you very much for your answer. I have never heard it put that way before. But you may have a point.

5. Edward J. Palumbo profile image84
    Edward J. Palumboposted 9 years ago

Given the nature of human beings, the conflicts in international priorities, alliances between nations, the competitive economic global issues and cultural differences that continue to develop, I candidly believe wars are inevitable in one or more corners of the Earth at any given time. I do not condone it on the basis of that inevitability because, despite the developing ability and priority to limit collateral damage, war is a random violence and a tragic waste. It underscores the inability of humankind to dialogue and compromise productively. I am not an apologist for war, I am a former warrior. Our military personnel enforce American foreign policy and protects American interests. Warfare is not a game; it ends lives and lastingly damages bodies and minds. We hope and pray that those who commit troops to combat have exhausted all other avenues of approach. I was a U.S. Marine and served in South Viet Nam; my son is currently on active duty in the U.S. Navy. Be assured I am among the LAST who wants war. Be further assured I am in the forefront of those who wants us to well-trained and equipped for war, because any weakness will be exploited. Once committed, there is only one option, and that is to succeed, to secure the objective. Wars are hideous, but defeat is infinitely worse.
    We are told in Matthew 24:6, "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." I accept that, and I hope we develop as human beings to minimize war as an option. I believe we will not eliminate it in my time.

1. profile image53

Edward- Thank you for your well thought out answer.I believe we all look for the day when conflicts are no longer human nature. And the bible verse is well placed. Again thanks.

6. profile image0
    Dave36posted 9 years ago

War is big business for some people, & tanks/jets/bombs etc aren't cheap..Governments invent wars then use your taxes to buy guns/tanks/bombs etc off their rich buddies, then their rich buddies end up owning everything in the world..Then when the politicians retire from politics, they go & work for their rich buddy mates..(Blair for example)....Remember people (the masses) have "never" as far as i know started a war with another country, it has always been governments....A little over 600 MP's in Britain think they have the right, to declare war with another country in our name without asking us first!..They voted as to whether or not to bomb **** out of Syria, & it was defeated by only 12 votes!....So 12 more votes, & we'd be at war again....It's a totally insane system, & they are power mad that is obvious.

1. profile image53

Dave36- Thank you. I do agree that big business make alot of money before, during and after war. This holds true throughout history. WWII is a good example of this. But WWII is also an example of evil vs. good in which the good did not ask for.

2. profile image0
      Dave36posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why does the USA & GB buy most of it's crap from China a country with zero human rights, then go around the world "posing" as the worlds policemen?..Also why have our g/ments invented a law, where they can lock up it's own citizens without trial?

3. profile image53

Dave36- I believe your questions are better directed at the governments of the U.S. GB and China. You seem to think I have control over them.

7. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

I don't like war. Some warriors do. Those who sit in their castles and send out orders sometimes like wars, especially if they're never in jeopardy.

It has been said that the Rothschilds have financed both sides of every war for the last 200+ years. Nelson Rockefeller, during his congressional confirmation hearings for the VP position, was asked about one of his companies sending aid to the North Vietnamese during our war in SE Asia. He pleaded ignorance. To our shame, Congress didn't pursue it. And now, we know that the Vietnam war was based on a lie -- the Gulf of Tonkin incident never happened.

9/11 was an inside job. Discovering that painful fact drove me to rage for months. That Bush Jr. went to war in Iraq because of false WMDs is only a part of a much larger puzzle of deception and Orwellian perversions. America's "peacekeeping" forces invade Iraq. Peacekeeping? Who are they fooling?

(If you don't believe 9/11 was an inside job, then ask yourself if solid steel ever offers zero resistance. If you do, then the Corporate Party media has you thoroughly brainwashed; black is white and 2+2=5. If not, then investigate http://AE911Truth.org.)

No one but psychopaths want war. The big corporations in America likely all have Military divisions. Any more, a reporter saying bad things about an American war is biting the hand that feeds him and that signs his paycheck. Oops!

I take that back. There is a divine reason for war, but it has nothing to do with conquering territory or manipulating public opinion to gain political leverage. It has everything to do with salvation of the True, spiritual self.

We have an upcoming war that will make all others pale by comparison. This new war -- this Armageddon -- will rival Noah's Flood in its destructive force. Why would God allow this? I discuss this at length in my new book, "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood." But to put it in a nutshell, you merely need to understand Genesis 1:26 -- that God created us in His image and likeness, and He is not Homo sapiens.

1. profile image53

lone77star- Regardless of any reason for armed conflict we must realize there has never been nor ever will be such a thing as a good war. But good may, at times, result from it. I do believe the war in Rev 20:7-9 will be the very last war. Thank you.

2. profile image0
      Dave36posted 9 years agoin reply to this

If we're put here to be tested, & our body was just a vessel for our soul which can't be destroyed..Then war & everything in the world would make sense to me, a test to see which stance or side we take..Good vs bad, my "i" vs my ego/emotional

3. Penny G profile image60
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, war is all part of the plan, and puzzle, and the future to the new.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)