I need to rant a bit...

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Just need to blow off steam.

My son's coach for his traveling team informed them that one of their players has H1N1.  This player played two games last weekend & was at practice this past Monday. Could he have spread it?????

I didn't know H1N1 could be detected so fast.

I don't know how long you are contagious (and I've searched the CDC website) before you come down with the symptoms.

I do know, that about an hour ago, my son started having flu like symptoms....

1. Real Estate Lady profile image62
      Real Estate Ladyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My piggy bank came down with swine flu. It's a nasty, nasty disease.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'm sorry about your son. i hope he gets well quickly and that it is not the swine flu. here in arizona, they tell anyone who comes down with symptoms (fever especially) to go to the ER to a-report it and b-get treated right away.

best wishes.

3. emievil profile image69
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jane that's tough. Do you have a health center or something where you can take him (if hospitals are discouraging you)? Or a doctor-friend who can help you out?

Don't worry about being an OCD. I think you have a right to be one under the circumstances smile. Just hope your son will be fine.

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Oh Jane, I'm so sorry! My daughter rents a second-floor apartment, and the landlord lives on the first floor. A few months ago, her two sons were exposed to it at school and both came down with it. She also got it. It was nasty and prolonged, but it ended eventually. All I can say, mamasita, is go stock up on surgical masks (for yourself) and antibacterial all-kinds-of-stuff. 

I'll be thinking of you.

3. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

From what I know about H1N1, is that it is spread like the "regular" flu.  I would definitely get your son to the Dr., asap.  If his fever gets high, I would take him to the emergency room.  The flu can be spread before symptoms appear.  I am not a Dr., or a medical professional, but my husband is a nurse and I will ask him more about it when he gets home.  I hope that you son is fine.

4. Jane@CM profile image60

The state we live in is discouraging anyone with flu like symptoms to stay away from the ER & doctors offices, unless they have severe symptoms like trouble breathing.  The reason behind this is because if they do just have the regular flu, they could easily catch the H1N1 virus at the hospital or doctors office.

I've sanitized all areas of the house. I thought about buying a mask, but after I saw the look on hubby's face when I picked up the latex gloves, I decided against it (giggles) and I didn't buy the gloves either.  OCD is getting the best of me (ARGH).

Our state is one of the hotbeds for H1N1 right now.

5. shamelabboush profile image53
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

I say have your son checked immediately... God bless.

6. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

oh Jane I'm sorry. I hope your son gets better quick. *HUGS*

7. missalyssa profile image60
    missalyssaposted 14 years ago

Lysol and antibacterial!! And if you want to take your son to the doctor, have him wear a mask and wash his hands!! I don't think it's right to discourage people from going to the doctor - though i understand the logic....a mother's piece of mind is priceless and if you think the doctor is where you need to go, go! i will say though that it seems to me that while people are getting sick, if your son is an athlete, he's probably pretty healthy and active and his body is probably very strong and capable of combating this business! I'm sending positive thoughts and encouragement your way!!

8. Jane@CM profile image60

Thanks all.  If he spikes a high fever I'll take him in. His throat hurts pretty bad, if he has strep (which I can always smell on his breath, weird I know) then he'll go in for SURE!

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sick kiddos are no fun! You seem very capable. Keep an eye on his temp and if normal remedies don't keep it in check get'em to the Doc! Lots of fluids!

9. BJC profile image69
    BJCposted 14 years ago

I've read that vitamin D3 helps with flu.  Keep us posted and take care smile  check out this site for research on D3
    http://www.hpathy.com/homeopathyforums/ … p?TID=9335

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Jane, my pediatrician once said that any virus is contagious from about the day before symptoms show up until the fever goes down.  I just found this link for the CDC (scroll down quite a way, and they say "day before to five-to-seven" days usually).

Not long ago I heard on the news that H1N1 is more often spread when people haven't used proper handwashing and their hands pass the germs (rather than through being airborne).  Not that it won't spread the airborn method, but if what these people said is true then the issue of germs on surfaces is the bigger one for this particular virus.

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been at the hospital for the past 4 days, they encourage everyone to wash their hands, and wear mask.  If anyone coughed, they would ask them to leave.
      Is it Theraflu or Thermaflu which is supposed to help?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly sure it's Tamiflu.

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

How's he doing now, Jane?  Fill us in when you get a chance.  I feel for you, I really do.  sad  Hope he's okay!

12. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Good luck with the sick one.

Swine flu detection techniques do turn up a high false positive rate, even at the time of me writing this message to you.

However, regardless, I hope that whatever bug your son has is short lived.

13. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Hope son just has a minor cold - thinking of you all.

14. Davinagirl3 profile image61

My daughter has a cold, but she is not running a fever.  I called her pediatrician today, and got a recording that said, "if your child is not running a fever, we recommend that you do not bring your child to the office.  We are experiencing a large number of flu patients."  This made me wonder...

15. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

That sucks. My friend's school was shut down because of swine flu. Ironically, she came down with strep AFTER everyone was allowed back in and had to take more days off.

Hope your son gets well soon.

16. Jane@CM profile image60

wow - thanks everyone.

He is much better!  Yea!  No fever for 24 hours so he went to school today.  I think it was so weird for him to spike a fever, sore throat, cough, chills, aches, etc & then bounce right back. He still has a cold, but nothing more. 

Washing hands is a MUST!

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good! I am glad you didn't have to go through that.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how you made this conclusion out of your story smile

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't make it out of the story, I just reiterated what Lisa had posted about washing hands.  I guess I should have quoted her.

Sorry Misha.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Take it easy Jane. smile

I just don't wash my hands, and proselytizing this. wink

17. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

That would piss me off to. I'll be in line for the vaccine when it comes lol.

~thranax~

18. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I have heard that you can only catch a cold by breathing in contaminated air through your nose, hence "rhinovirus".  Has anyone else heard this?

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've read through the CDC website a few times & they do state that it is airborne through coughing and sneezing.  There is a lot of good info on the site.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The CDC website is a great website.

19. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Jane, any update on your son???  Is he feeling better?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)