If scientists found proof that God existed, would you atheists then believe it?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 9 years ago

If scientists found proof that God existed, would you atheists then believe it?

http://witscience.org/first-scientific-proof-god-found/

2. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

Even were you to believe that they found writing on the human genome, which I don't for a second believe, that doesn't prove anything except that they found writing on the human genome. It could also have been the lizard people who put it there, my god Fluffybutt, or any other of a multitude of possibilities. Heck, it could even be astronomically improbable coincidence. Assigning any of those possibilities as a truth is just another leap of faith.

Even if some really powerful dude showed up on Earth and had a cool beard and was super powerful, like he could part the seas, make it rain for 40 days, and always correctly guess how many fingers I had up behind my back, that doesn't prove God either, it just proves that there is some powerful dude in front of me who can part seas, make it rain, and is a good guesser.

You can't prove God, and if you can prove it, it isn't God, it is just some thing you might call God.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

that last statement.  "You can't prove God, and if you can prove it, it isn't God, it is just some thing you might call God.", really sounds like even if God could be proven, you would deny it. Im not saying I'm convinced by the article either

2. junkseller profile image78
      junksellerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Depends how we define God. There may be some powerful being out there that made us. That might prove that what some people call God exists, that still doesn't mean they are the ultimate source of all things, which is what I might consider to be God.

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In other words, the answer is "not at all."

4. junkseller profile image78

The answer is that I will believe in your really large prime number when I see it, and it may be impressive, but it is still just a tiny number relative to Infinity (God).

3. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

In a short answer, yes. Atheists (not all) hold evidence in high regard, so if evidence were to suddenly support god, we would follow it to its conclusion. However it would lead to further questions: where did this god come from? Are there more gods? Why did he do what he did? So, even though atheists would believe in this entity standing before them, it doesn't mean they would stop questioning him. Good science stands up to repeated scrutiny from multiple sources, so it would take time before god was accepted.

On the flip side, however, I'm fairly certain that if science proved the existence of god, theists WOULDN'T believe in him. God-based religions function best with an absent deity. People who claim to have a personal relationship with god, would know instantly that this scientifically proven god isn't THEIR god. So, if anything, theistic religions that existed before the discovery of god, would become anti-scientifically-proven-god and pro-non-existent-god. It is the nature of religion; it can only function when the deity doesn't show up.

4. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

An intriguing article, John. If I were an atheist, though, I wouldn't take this as proof of God. I'd have to agree with some of what junkseller said. While this is interesting (the writing on our genome), it could just as easily have been from ancient aliens who designed Homo sapiens. I remember a Star Trek NG episode where the genomes of humans, Klingons, Vulcans and others were encoded with an ancient message, indicating that we were all related.

I suspect some scientists will never believe God no matter what the evidence. One scientist from Texas said that he would never believe the very ancient dates of artifacts found at Valsequillo, Mexico, no matter what the evidence. His prejudice was that strong against. Some people hold onto their understanding of things so tightly that their egos are invested in them. Destroy their worldview and you destroy them. Too many scientists are arrogant like this. But so are so many Christians. They believe in a 6000-year-old Earth and universe and nothing can shake them loose from this -- not even a new biblical timeline compatible with those of science (as in my own book, "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood").

I suspect, though, that God doesn't want proof to be found. God wants His children to mature as spiritual beings. That takes perfection of confidence (faith), unwavering love for others above one's self, 100% responsibility for everything that happens to you and utter humility. This is a spiritual thing. Proof brings it down to the physical level and misses the intent by an entire universe.

You cannot do miracles if you don't have Faith. But once you perform miracles, you don't need proof. So, proof is inconsequential. Always!

5. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

Kurt Godel was arguably Einsteins chosen successor. He came up with a provable God theorem. Guess what: atheists refuse to respect it.

1. junkseller profile image78

A provable God theorem given that you already accept God to be true. For every ontological argument there have been many critics, religious and non-religious. Some very smart (Aquinas, Kant). http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontol … arguments/

2. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Junkseller
      The difference is that we now have supercomputers which have mechanically tested and proved the Godel theorem.

6. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years ago

I cannot think of a more senseless, illogical question to ask. 

I do not associate my a-theist understanding with any "belief" system.  "Belief in something" is a christian concept and a christian expression.

As far as I know, there is no other religion that uses this expression.  Either one is christian (adjective) or one is not.  I am not.  I do not accept the existence of a judgmental god; nor original sin; nor the existence of a heaven or hell to be entered after the death of my body.

There is nothing you, aguasilver or anyone else can do/say that will change my mind. 

So again, your question is irrelevant.

1. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You forgot to add " In my opinion" and of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, but until we leave this soul school, and enter the realm of death, both of us can only express 'our opinion' and only one of us will be correct.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, in my own opinion and, I suspect the opinion of many others.  That does not make my opinion right, of course, but it does give a valid alternative reasoning.

3. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agreed Johnny, valid alternative reasoning, yet to be determined definitively.

In many ways oblivion has it's attraction, yet still I feel eternally being part of the creative force has more! smile

7. levicolemagic profile image61
    levicolemagicposted 9 years ago

Yes if scientists found proof, I would believe. This article is satire however and not true.

http://realorsatire.com/witscience-org/

The same website has more obviously satirical articles such as:
    Gender Change Procedure Now Available For Pets
    Attempt To Clone Jesus Underway
    Astronomers Discover Alien Life
    New Study Reveals Eating Human Excrement Significantly Reduces Heart Attack Risk

So to answer your question, Yes. The link does not provide that proof however.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)