Why would any HP writer purposely not allow comments on his/her hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 9 years ago

Why would any HP writer purposely not allow comments on his/her hubs?

I just read two hubs--good ones--by an HP writer I hadn't encountered before, but neither has a Comments section. I wanted to comment on both, and the inability to do so stops me from reading any more of this writer's hubs. Why set a hub for no comments when the feedback can be so helpful and add to the community interaction?

2. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

Maybe the writer is new to HubPages and has unwittingly disabled commented for his/her hubs while attempting to change the settings? I cannot think of any other reason why an HP writer wouldn't want comments on their hubs, comments can do no harm really, even the negative ones. Of course comments only earn accolades and gets you more followers within the HP community, they don't give any actual earnings as the traffic has to be from outside the community (as far as I know).

JayeWisdomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This was my first thought, but I checked length of membership and the writer isn't a newbie. Still, it may be an inadvertent setting. The topics of the two hubs I read weren't controversial at all, so they didn't seem the type to attract trolls.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Jaye..... Have encountered this too and felt the same way.  In fact, I was really disappointed as well as curious.
    After thinking about it for a while, I could only come up with one guess as to why a writer might do this.
    I considered that these writers have one and only one......specific purpose in writing.  To roll out hub after hub and not spend any amount of time reading and responding to comments from the community.  It would seem to me that they write solely for the purpose of search engines, to inform the general public.  Obviously these writers have no desire nor need to receive "feedback" on their work, nor must they enjoy the socialization part of our site.
    I realize I could be completely wrong...but like I said, this is my best guess. 
    It would be extremely interesting to hear straight from these writers what their individual reason is for this.....but they probably have blocked the ability to be emailed as well.
    Great question, Jaye !

1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a good point fpherj48-they are writing to write - not necessarily for anyone to enjoy, comment, post a hub in response to their hub, but just to write.

2. JayeWisdom profile image89

You're right--the email option is not there either. It's a shame because I really enjoyed those hubs, but felt 'cheated' when I couldn't comment. So that writer lost a potential follower.

3. profile image0
      temptor94posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right fpherj48. Didn't think of that one. The writer is probably interested only in traffic generation and earning on this site. So feedbacks don't matter.

4. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 9 years ago

I have the same question- I don't understand why you post something if you do not welcome comments.  Another question I have is why do people write hubs, and when they get a comment that differs in opinion from the author-they delete or block you from commenting.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Only very few people will delete a comment, just due to a difference of opinion.  Any time a comment is deleted it's usually because it was very personal or generally inappropriate.  That's pretty rare.

2. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
      ReneeDC1979posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I gave a difference of opinion before, was not disrespectful and my comment was deleted.  Them, they sent me a message saying they do not agree and that's why my comment was deleted.

3. fpherj48 profile image60

I'm sorry you encountered this.  Please know that this incident doesn't describe the usual way things work here.  Most hubbers welcome healthy debate or disagreement.  Every one is different.  Don't let that discourage you pls.

5. Robert the Bruce profile image61
    Robert the Bruceposted 9 years ago

I have found that extremely controversial hubs sometimes have comments disabled. Judging from what I know about some authors here, I think some of them just want to spew their opinion around without having to deal with any negative feedback.

Some people also close questions when they want to have the last word.

RtB...What you have described happens much more often in the Forums as opposed to hubs. Forums can get insane.I learned to avoid them.People get downright nasty.I tend to bite BACK. I'm the schmuck who gets banned.Not the jerk who started it all..

2. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've actually never taken part in the forums. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

3. JayeWisdom profile image89

I stay out of the forums on controversial topics (mainly politics and religion) because I don't want my blood pressure spiking! I don't need the aggravation, and there is rarely reasonable discourse on those forums.

4. fpherj48 profile image60

Jaye...And a WISE woman you are!.....Anyone who may think "ignorance" is fading, just need read a Forum thread on RELIGION or Politics!!  Whoa!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Because the comments are spam, sarcastic, or from a possible hacker or such.

Since the topics of both hubs I read were not controversial, were interesting and well written, they didn't seem the type of hub to attract such unpleasant people to comment. Perhaps the writer was 'bitten once, twice shy" as that old saying goes.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just realized that I had not read your question through. Now that I have all that I can say is perhaps they mistakenly checked the "Do not show capsule" in Comments box, or accidentally deleted it.

7. profile image0
    Stevie Cenkoposted 9 years ago

Hey Jaye, I was briefly writing on another site and I wanted to comment on someone's article.  I messaged him and asked him why his comments section was closed.  He replied that he didn't like the mean comments he would sometimes receive.  I guess there was no way to individually monitor comments, like here.  Maybe it's just  too much grief for some people to receive any mean and/or wacky comments.

Since HP does allow us to monitor comments and delete spam or personal attacks, it would seem helpful (at least, it is to me) to receive comments that don't fit into those narrow categories.

2. profile image0
      Stevie Cenkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jaye, I'm open to comments and I guess it is someone's right not to be, but it does take away from the group experience.

8. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I have found the same thing. The hubs were very interesting and I would have loved to have left a comment, but....no comments section....disappointing. I wonder if we are all talking about the same hubber.

Actually Jodah, if you really float around a lot to read work from hubbers for the first time...you'll see that the "closed to comments" is not one or only a few hubbers. U'll also see they are old timers, obviously all done w/ the comment thing?

9. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

don't want to answer any comments, dislike to read hurtful comments?

Anyone who doesn't give comments a chance never realizes how helpful they can be or the friends a member can make within the HP community. I hope the hubber (no name) to which I referred has a change of mind about the matter.

10. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 9 years ago

It could be that the person isn't aware that they have omitted that box or deleted that box, or that maybe they don't understand what that box is for so they choose not to use it. Maybe try sending them a fan mail and ask them?

That may very well be the situation. Many Hubbers (and not only newbies) never read all the Learning Center material and FAQs. Thanks for your comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)